Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1955 CommuterRestore

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
fgroce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fgroce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2017 at 8:32pm
Hi the boat looks awesome, I do not know anything about wooden boats, what do you mean when you (bedded the planks in 5200). Do you coat the underside 100% with 5200 or just around the edges.   How about pictures for an example. Thanks Keep up the great work. It really does look great.
FGroce
88 Ski Nautique
For 28 years
Now 2002 Ski Nautique
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2017 at 9:37pm
The boat looks great and it seems the apprentice has learnt well from the master.

Those foam rollers give an amazing finish. Just discovered them as I was going to paint some old wooden bedside draws and a large chest of draws in the bedroom remodel. Had planned to spray but a friend of mine suggested those rollers. Glad he did, cheap enough just to throw the roller after use the turps is more expensive than the roller

Alan on the 3m 5200 maybe have a look at the Sikaflex Marine polyurethane. Hard to get the 3m products in Oz.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2017 at 7:20am
Just beautiful how she's coming together!

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2017 at 8:09am
Beautiful work as always and I'll definitely use the foam roller trick on the set of Cypress Gardens Mustang Ski's I'm restoring. Can't wait to see it again in person.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2017 at 10:08am
Originally posted by fgroce fgroce wrote:

Hi the boat looks awesome, I do not know anything about wooden boats, what do you mean when you (bedded the planks in 5200). Do you coat the underside 100% with 5200 or just around the edges.   How about pictures for an example. Thanks Keep up the great work. It really does look great.

Thanks and yes the entire board is bedded in 5200 like you would do with floor tile. it is spread it on with a notched trowel
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2017 at 10:26am
Originally posted by lewy2001 lewy2001 wrote:

The boat looks great and it seems the apprentice has learnt well from the master.

Those foam rollers give an amazing finish. Just discovered them as I was going to paint some old wooden bedside draws and a large chest of draws in the bedroom remodel. Had planned to spray but a friend of mine suggested those rollers. Glad he did, cheap enough just to throw the roller after use the turps is more expensive than the roller

Alan on the 3m 5200 maybe have a look at the Sikaflex Marine polyurethane. Hard to get the 3m products in Oz.

hey Mark, Thank you, They are both doing a great job although between work travel, kids, family and everything else it can be tiring for all of us. I'm lucky and am about 2 Saturdays away from finishing up my end of the work, Then it gets turned over to Todd and Renee for varnish, paint and mechanical work, Still a long way to go yet.

On the Sika, I use that on the deck seams as it flows much better than the 5200, problem is I don't think it's made in the mahogany color we use when planking.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2017 at 10:30am
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

Beautiful work as always and I'll definitely use the foam roller trick on the set of Cypress Gardens Mustang Ski's I'm restoring. Can't wait to see it again in person.

Tim, unless you're using varnish I might be inclined to buy a spray can of Minwax polyurethane and spray it on. If you do apply by hand the method is to roll it on and then brush it smooth with a dry foam brush from Harbor freight. That gets the roller lines and air bubbles out. Toss the roller and the brush in the trash when done.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2017 at 12:05pm
Ok, so the top 3/4 of that boat is going to be beautiful, going to be - hell it already is!. Now, I remember you mentioned the bottom had a West Marine Fiberglass job done to it, specifically you remarked it was actually in good shape. So what will happen to the bottom - will the boat be flipped, so the bottom can be sanded, painted to give it a finish to match the rest of the beautiful boat?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2017 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

Ok, so the top 3/4 of that boat is going to be beautiful, going to be - hell it already is!. Now, I remember you mentioned the bottom had a West Marine Fiberglass job done to it, specifically you remarked it was actually in good shape. So what will happen to the bottom - will the boat be flipped, so the bottom can be sanded, painted to give it a finish to match the rest of the beautiful boat?

No flip, good old lay on your back sand and paint.    Going to use a 2 part polyurethane so all the old paint has to come off since we don't know what it is. We did some test sanding and it's going to come off fairly easy. Flipping would be better but at this point we just don't want to.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2017 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

what will happen to the bottom - will the boat be flipped,?

No flip, good old lay on your back sand and paint.    .

My arms hurt just from the thought!!

Alan,
You mentioned the glass looked good. Are there any signs of fracturing at any seams? When the paint comes off, you may be able to get a better idea?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2017 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

No flip, good old lay on your back sand and paint.    .

My arms hurt just from the thought!!

Arms, shoulders, neck, back... Yeah, that ain't going to be any fun...
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2017 at 12:30pm
What color are they going to do it? Seems like most Correct Crafts from the 50's don't use copper. Was that more of a 60's color?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2017 at 12:49pm
yep I know. I repainted the Hurricane bottom last summer and it is not fun. The red paint on there now though doesn't seem to be to tough.

As for color I only know for certain it will not be red. Same with the interior.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2017 at 1:26pm
Wouldn't it be easier to set the hull on sandpaper and slide the boat back and forth?

Somewhat surprised at the no flip Alan, recruit some farmboys down there and you would think you could lift and roll that thing by hand, maybe it weighs more then I am thinking??
Frankenotter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2017 at 12:28am
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Wouldn't it be easier to set the hull on sandpaper and slide the boat back and forth?

Hahahahaha. I actually snorted beer through my nose.
1999 Ski Nautique 196
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2017 at 12:35pm
Got the interior ceiling boards fitted up this weekend. They'll need to come off and get a 1/4 round then get some stain.   Last bit of woodworking will be the rear spray rails.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2017 at 12:40pm
yesterday was a test fit of the seating to see if there's any mods needed before it goes out for upholstery. Not sure what was going on with the rear seat but it get dropped back down to it's original height. Guessing someone was trying to make a storage area but to be kind I'd just say that looks a little uncomfortable.

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2017 at 12:57pm
Maybe just old people Alan. Some of the geezers I have had in the Supra have trouble on a 5" seat and I suspect they will in the Mustang too.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2017 at 1:06pm
This is kind of funny/sad/true so I'm adding it to the back seat height conversation. Quinner and I are trying to get in better shape and we were out kayaking yesterday. I mentioned that the pounds I've put on the last ten years have to come off because when I'm traveling in Asia, they do not have toilets of the kind us Yankees (and Rebels) are accustomed to. Without too much detail, let's just say that getting back up after doing one's business is a lot more like a deep water slalom start than it should be. Getting old has some consequences that need attention.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2017 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

Maybe just old people Alan. Some of the geezers I have had in the Supra have trouble on a 5" seat and I suspect they will in the Mustang too.

John,
I hope you're not putting me in the " old geezer" category! I didn't even put these extra talls in the new house!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2017 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

[QUOTE=john b] Maybe just old people Alan. Some of the geezers I have had in the Supra have trouble on a 5" seat and I suspect they will in the Mustang too.

John,
I hope you're not putting me in the " old geezer" category! I didn't even put these extra talls in the new house!

Not a chance, Pete. You have a love for boats. Some of the casuals take one look at the Alumitoon and the Supra and there is no further discussion. They need their patio.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2017 at 11:13am
I've been out of the picture for a few weeks now but the work continues. Hardware has been dropped off at the platers, interior is underway and the bottom got a couple of coats of hard racing copper. Varnish work is up next.

fgroce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fgroce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2017 at 9:40pm
Wow looks great.
FGroce
88 Ski Nautique
For 28 years
Now 2002 Ski Nautique
dwcar View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2017 at 2:53pm
Very Nice!!
83Ski
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2018 at 5:54pm
Time flies! Time for a Commuter update and what a cool update this will be. Exciting news on the power plant.

Todd located a Chrysler Hemi up in Canada last December so he made a deal and hit the road.   We weren't exactly sure what it was because the original engine badge was missing . It had dual quads so it was either a 331 at 250 hp or a 354 at 275 hp. How could you go wrong with that right?

Anyway the motor made it home and I headed down to the farm the next Saturday to see if we could get it running. It came out of a big Greavette that was being repowered and it supposedly ran. We spent a few hours checking it out, getting fuel and power hooked up. It spun over easy by hand so we oiled it up and turned the key.   Took a few cranks but eventually fired up and sounded pretty darn good. Oddly enough it developed a miss after a few minutes so we shut it down and decided to do a compression test. Found one dead cylinder and one with about 50 psi so the heads had to come off.

this is what we found. The old sodium filled exhaust valves were pretty beat so the heads got sent out and refurbished from top to bottom. New guides and oversize valves.

We decided to load the motor up and bring it to my shop so we could work inside in the heat. Once we got the heads back we did some cleaning up of parts and sprayed it.

Loading her back up for the drive south to the farm, gift wrapped for Renee!

We did verify from casting numbers and measuring the bore that it is a 331 at .030 over so it's a 250 Hp version. very cool motor to say the least.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2018 at 6:06pm
Over the last few weeks we've dropped the motor in for a test fit so we could measure for a new Prop Shaft.   We also took the time to double up and reinforce the stringers as the motor didn't quite sit well on the single stringer.   Prop shaft took about a month because we also had to have a coupler custom made to fit the hemi transmission just like I did with the Hurricane's motor but we finally got that back last week so last Saturday was drop in day.

Went very well actually although lining this beast up with static motor mounts is pretty crude way of doing things but we got it. Next was to cut the ribs for the dual exhaust and holes through the transom.

Todd did some mock ups so he can have some exhaust outlets fabricated

NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2018 at 6:11pm
Nice work gang
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2018 at 6:11pm
Varnish is done except for the final coat which will happen after we finish up more of the mechanical work. We'll get it back on the trailer and the final varnish will be done in an auto finishing booth because the dust in the wood shop is not acceptable. Stripes have been caulked. The do to list is still very long but line items are getting crossed off one at a time. Someday!

SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2018 at 7:03pm
Nice progress
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2018 at 7:22pm
That boat is looking nice! Will that engine handle both of those carbs?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic