NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New to me 78 Tique

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 910111213 21>
Author
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2017 at 1:31pm
Why not leave the port stringers in while you install the starboard ones, that way you have one side to mirror off of. Even if they are not in great shape you still have a somewhat good base line and it will offer some support to the hull.
That's how I did mine in my '85 worked out great.
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2017 at 2:39pm
Read gundrivers post too late. But the port side will be a great template. It came out great this morning.
78 Ski Tique, 72 Skier w/302's, 93 SN w/351 & 17 GS22 w/zr409
Previous - 99 Sport Nautique w/GT40 and 87 Martinique w/351
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2017 at 10:27pm
Spent the better part of two days working on the boat. Pics follow. We are now on to the grinding. The angle grinder with a cutting wheel for the stringer fiberglass was great. Had to get the multi-tool in there too for a few tight spots. And the reciprocating saw in the foam cutting the outline was huge. We could then pop it out in big chunks with the crowbar. The starboard side was pretty shot but the port came out whole and should make a nice template. It still needed to come out but was nice to get it out as one piece.

Painted the needle on the Airguide.

Made a template with ply just in case.

We hunted in the early morning and evening Sat and Sun morning...no deer. Coyote was second place.

Port primary and secondaries came out great. (Starboard crumbled into pieces.)

Let the grinding begin...

SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2017 at 12:29am
Watching this one, nice progress
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2017 at 10:14am
Wow, you guys are moving along! Impressed that stringer came out looking that good.

That thing will be awesome again come spring.
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2017 at 1:00pm
WOW, nice work. We all need a winter project to watch.
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2017 at 2:27pm
Donald, you are close enough to participate. All the beer you can drink while grinding fiberglass!
Alex47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2017 at 7:54pm
Very impressive!
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2017 at 9:23pm
Originally posted by samudj01 samudj01 wrote:

Donald, you are close enough to participate. All the beer you can drink while grinding fiberglass!

David,
Obviously, you and Jesse have misjudged how much beer I can drink.

I will give you a buzz that this week to see when you guys are working and I can come and join in on the fun. This weekend is bad for me, but I will have some time over Thanksgiving. Maybe, you guys will be working over the extended holiday and can help.

My lungs are 1/2 full of fiberglass dust already.

Donald
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2017 at 6:28pm
Well, an evening and morning of grinding in the books. That was fun, no one said ever. But progress was made. Unfortunately we won't be back to the boat for three weeks. Got one side and part of the other rid of the carpet glue. And got started on the bottom. A few pics of the fun...

samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2017 at 12:43pm
Took the day off yesterday to work on the boat. Used a 36grit flap disk. Worked great! Both walls clean of carpet and glue. Cut the old floor lip out and ground smooth. Walls are ready. Started a little in the transom. Probably grinded for 3 hrs. We are getting close on grinding. Jesse has a bead on some wood and just needs to pick up. I went by upholstery place to get a quote yesterday too. Moving along slowly. Stay tuned.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2017 at 3:09pm
Moving along slowly? Seems like you are making great progress, I'm impressed!
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2017 at 10:04pm
Seems slow when you are away from the boat for weeks at a time. Plus White Lake is right around the corner... ...or so I tell myself (lots of winter between now and then). A few pics from Wed.

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2017 at 10:06pm
Looking good !
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2017 at 10:08pm
Question for everyone...if we aren't using foam in our rebuild (currently in debate), is the airbox necessary? Or can we just fab in a kick plate to protect the wiring from our feet? Or even finish the floor farther forward for more storage?
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2017 at 10:20pm
Freak what you feel. It’s just there to mount the kick plate/hold the pass through for wiring/cables/vents.
Watauga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watauga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2017 at 1:43am
I don't think the 'air-box' is a necessity, although the elevation provides some protection to the various items that penetrate the sole in that area, e.g., steering and control cables, wiring, bilge pump hose, and fresh air ventilation hose(s) (which are typically pretty fragile). The Tique doesn't have as much storage under the bow on the port side as a Nautique, but the area can be used for an anchor, life jackets, throwable, small cooler, trick skis, etc. The height of the air box prevents those items from scooting over to the starboard side. I like the foot rest capability as well. If you choose not to re-fabricate an air box you could still project the conduits higher than the sole to offer additional protection to the components within.
1980 Rebuild
Diary
Signpainter, Disaster Responder, Longline Barefooter
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2017 at 9:29am
Here is what I did with the Mustang.   Used PVC pipe for the ventilation and for wiring runs. The smaller ones contain the steering and shifter/throttle cables and the wiring going rearward. The slot in one of the smaller ones is for the battery cables to exit/enter into the battery box.   Not shown yet is the kick board that is hinged to the floor. Also added the cooler/dry storage area in the floor (for an aluminum drop in box). It made for more usable space.

Rough in view

Finished view
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2017 at 11:06am
Thanks for the ideas. Duane, how did you attach your ply floor down? Just fiberglass over top and to the walls or did you use epoxy between stringers and ply? Any nails or screws at all or is that rot waiting to happen?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2017 at 11:22am
David,
I agree that the "air box" isn't needed. It was just a empty space to get more floatation into the hull and also a convenience for supporting the kick.

Regarding the ply floor, I suggest no screws. Bond the new to the stringers with thickened epoxy. Weights can be used to hold it in place until the epoxy kicks. Screws are just a stress point and if stressed can become an entry point for water. Anything that is screwed to the floor should have the holes treated with CPES and then some 4200.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2017 at 11:22am
Everything was coated with epoxy both sides. Floor put down on wet epoxy along top of stringers. S/S screws were installed then removed and holes filled with epoxy and re-screwed while still wet. Floors then bonded to hull sides with cloth and more epoxy. Entire floor then coated with colored epoxy and paint chips (also entire hull surface under the floors received colored epoxy along with stringers.).   No foam under floors. It will outlast me.
        1978 Mustang (modified)
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2017 at 11:34am
I am curious as to why the below picture (albeit out of date) has not made it into this thread

'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2017 at 11:43am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

David,
I agree that the "air box" isn't needed. It was just a empty space to get more floatation into the hull and also a convenience for supporting the kick.

Regarding the ply floor, I suggest no screws. Bond the new to the stringers with thickened epoxy. Weights can be used to hold it in place until the epoxy kicks. Screws are just a stress point and if stressed can become an entry point for water. Anything that is screwed to the floor should have the holes treated with CPES and then some 4200.

This all sounds like good advice to me, but the part that scares me is that Pete actually called that thing we walk on the floor...............and not the sole

Pete, I think somebody has hacked into your account based on your strange behavior lately.

Floors, electronic ignition, and using Sierra parts. What will be next?
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2017 at 12:06pm
Lonely Coors?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2017 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

but the part that scares me is that Pete actually called that thing we walk on the floor...............and not the sole

Ken,
I decided to go back to calling the sole the floor after a comment was made working me over about using the term. Now by calling the sole the floor, every back yard hack boater will know what I'm talking about!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2017 at 12:29pm
Guess we are the backyard hacks. Coots was Greg’s contribution when we pulled the motor.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2017 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

Everything was coated with epoxy both sides. Floor put down on wet epoxy along top of stringers. S/S screws were installed then removed and holes filled with epoxy and re-screwed while still wet.

David,
As mentioned, forget the screws and just bond the new to the stringers. Unless Duane went and searched out some type 316 SS screws, he most likely used screws made from 400 series SS. Yes, he bedded them in epoxy but, if they ever see water moisture, chances are very high they will rust besides causing stress points.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2017 at 4:02pm
Show me a floor that's ever failed due to rusty screws. Pete, how are the floors in your Atom and Dunphe attached? Any problems with rust or stress points on those boats?   It's great to improve upon the original design, but even if you duplicate exactly what Correct Craft did, you know it's going to last more than 40 years as that's how long they've lasted 1st time around without taking special care of them.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2017 at 5:28pm

Unless Duane went and searched out some type 316 SS screws, he most likely used screws made from 400 series SS. Yes, he bedded them in epoxy but, if they ever see water moisture, chances are very high they will rust besides causing stress points.

He most certainly did not use 400 series.   This is what I used:   
304: The basic alloy. Type 304 (18-8)

Come on guys, quit overthinking this stuff. Freshwater environments are far different than salt water or hostile chemical environments I doubt that anyone here has sent their factory CC hardware to a metallurgist for a chemical analysis to make sure they are using 316 alloys.. I for a fact know CC does not use S/S for their lift eye hardware. They used mild steel and it did corrode almost in two!!

This stainless alloy resists most oxidizing acids and can withstand all ordinary rusting.

Stainless Steel comparison chart

1978 Mustang (modified)
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2017 at 6:36pm

Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

but the part that scares me is that Pete actually called that thing we walk on the floor...............and not the sole

Ken,
I decided to go back to calling the sole the floor after a comment was made working me over about using the term. Now by calling the sole the floor, every back yard hack boater will know what I'm talking about!

And to think, I thought maybe you were getting more normal

Now if you could quit thinking everybody else is a "backyard hack" that would be some progress
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 910111213 21>
  Share Topic