NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New to me 78 Tique

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1011121314 21>
Author
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2017 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

but the part that scares me is that Pete actually called that thing we walk on the floor...............and not the sole

Ken,
I decided to go back to calling the sole the floor after a comment was made working me over about using the term. Now by calling the sole the floor, every back yard hack boater will know what I'm talking about!

And to think, I thought maybe you were getting more normal

Now if you could quit thinking everybody else is a "backyard hack" that would be some progress

Yes, we are all hobbyists, even Pete.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2017 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Lonely Coors?

I know, I thought it was the "Where's Waldo" of empty beers. When you get to a harder level there's an Old Milwaukee can mixed in, very hard to find.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2017 at 8:37pm
[/QUOTE] Now if you could quit thinking everybody else is a "backyard hack" that would be some progress[/QUOTE]
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Except Art and Jody. Zach is a maybe now though Pete would have a grabber if he saw Ken Meloon's Mustang
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2017 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Now if you could quit thinking everybody else is a "backyard hack" that would be some progress[/QUOTE]

Pete would have a grabber if he saw Ken Meloon's Mustang[/QUOTE]

having a grabber
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2017 at 8:56pm
I'm a front yard hack.
jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2017 at 8:58pm
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2017 at 9:08pm
Front yard or backyard, I'd call this precision work, no hacking going on here

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2017 at 9:16pm
Motorboatin' boat p0rn
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2017 at 9:24pm
Calling me a hack is kind of insulting to real hacks.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2017 at 11:54pm

. Pete, how are the floors in your Atom and Dunphe attached?

silicon bronze screws

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2017 at 8:25am

Show me a floor that's ever failed due to rusty screws.

Imho it’s less an issue of screw material than the fact they’re there at all. At best they’re unneeded, at worst they are a potential stress point, and most importantly on a wood structure, a water intrusion point. Most boats I’ve dissected show most rot in areas where fasteners penetrated the floor, and that rot spreads to the stringers via fasteners as well.

Epoxy thickened with a high strength filler is a better attachment method.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2017 at 8:42am
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

This stainless alloy resists most oxidizing acids and can withstand all ordinary rusting.

Duane,
I highly suggest you read this article. and, the article is on 300 and not 400!!
You also may find it interesting that Don Danenberg has documented stainless fastener failures. Don's forum with a specific category on fasteners.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2017 at 8:02pm
We are planning a thickened epoxy with cabosil and chop strand for bedding stringers, sticking down floor etc. Does that sound good, not enough or overkill?
78 Ski Tique, 72 Skier w/302's, 93 SN w/351 & 17 GS22 w/zr409
Previous - 99 Sport Nautique w/GT40 and 87 Martinique w/351
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2017 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by samudj01 samudj01 wrote:

We are planning a thickened epoxy with cabosil and chop strand for bedding stringers, sticking down floor etc. Does that sound good, not enough or overkill?

Sounds good.
One trick for spreading is to fill a "zip lock" bag with the epoxy. Cut a corner off the bottom and use it like you would a pastry bag.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2017 at 10:58am
I'll side with Duane that his rebuild will not only outlast him, but also most people on this forum. Doing it the "best way" can be carried to an extreme that probably isn't necessary in most cases..

Whatever happened to JohnB, whom was talked into tearing out perfectly good stringers in his Mustang?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2017 at 12:02pm

I'll side with Duane that his rebuild will not only outlast him, but also most people on this forum. Doing it the "best way" can be carried to an extreme that probably isn't necessary in most cases..    

Bruce,
I know of three cases where Danenberg has had to do complete new bottoms that had previously been done with SS fasteners. Two were three years old and the other was five. It really doesn't take much more to do the job the best way. The restoration I do on the boats I plan to keep and pass on I sure hope will last more than three to five years.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2017 at 12:35pm

Bruce,
I know of three cases where Danenberg has had to do complete new bottoms that had previously been done with SS fasteners. Two were three years old and the other was five. It really doesn't take much more to do the job the best way. The restoration I do on the boats I plan to keep and pass on I sure hope will last more than three to five years.

Three year old S/S fasteners gave up???   What grade?? Now this is definitely a case where a second opinion should have been had. Besides, where did I state that I did the bottom?? My work was done to areas that are normally relatively dry.
My floor was coated on bottom side and then bedded with thickened epoxy on top of sealed stringers. Drilled and screwed and then screws removed a holes filled and re-screwed wet. Then top of floor had epoxy and cloth covered and then covered with bilge epoxy. Then entire floor coated with marine carpet glue and finally covered with rubber backed waterproof marine carpet. Don't feel water is going to enter my screw holes. All this was stated previously in other posts. This is just the way that I felt would be fine.    Make me wonder how the "PRO" on this site fastened down his seat frames, motor box and for that matter the engine mounts themselves. Looks like "intrusion points" to me.      Just an old hack, Duane   
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2017 at 12:38pm
Duane, I'd cut your losses, cut up the hull, and just make it into a bar now. It's bound to sink within a few days of touching the water next year.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2017 at 6:17pm

Bruce,

Entirely different application, but probably had more to do with workmanship than material of the screws.
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2017 at 12:11pm
I am thinking about upholstery this week. Will be back to grinding fri night and sat morning. Any recommendations for upholstery in NC? I have one quote. They aren’t sure they can do the scoops well though. How was the vinyl put on the scoops? Heat to stretch it and contact cement? Something we can do ourselves? What type of heat source?
78 Ski Tique, 72 Skier w/302's, 93 SN w/351 & 17 GS22 w/zr409
Previous - 99 Sport Nautique w/GT40 and 87 Martinique w/351
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2017 at 12:31pm

I am thinking about upholstery this week. Will be back to grinding fri night and sat morning. Any recommendations for upholstery in NC? I have one quote. They aren’t sure they can do the scoops well though. How was the vinyl put on the scoops? Heat to stretch it and contact cement? Something we can do ourselves? What type of heat source?

David,
The vinyl is contact cemented to the scoops. No heat should be needed. Understand that most vinyl's stretch more in one direction.

If the upholsterer isn't sure he can do the scoops, I'd be looking for another one too!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2017 at 12:52pm

Reids got a guy.... I think it was a hundred to do the scoops though... I am sure he could let you know who... .

They aren't impossible but can be persnickety to keep wrinkles out of ... I would probably tackle it myself... and I would definitely use a heat gun...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2017 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

I would definitely use a heat gun...

Me too
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2017 at 1:47pm
If Reids guy is too pricey, (I forget if you are in WS or GSO, but I used this guy and was pleased.

A1 Auto Trim
4904 Bartlett
GSO
336-855-8575.

He can show you photos of his prior boat work. Does good work. Mine was relatively simple in that I didnt replicate original (my original seats were long gone before I bought it)
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2017 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

I didnt replicate original

You didn't replicate original?

NOT ORIGINAL ???

10 demerits and you lose your Grand Poobah status. I really don't know how you can even look at yourself in the mirror.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2017 at 3:11pm
I was forced to surrender my Association of Cranky Boat Snobs credentials years ago.
It was a heart wrenching experience
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXlUS5-ag_g
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2017 at 4:37pm

I covered my two smaller scoops. I ended up leaving the big front scoop without vinyl because the gel coat was so good. And then carried my "Non Original" stripe thru the scoop.     I used a 3M spray adhesive on mine.   Spray both the scoop and the vinyl and let them set for about 5 minutes.   Lay the scoops over the vinyl and start stretching it to the edges, then wrap around underneath the scoop. Be sure to wrap at least an inch so as to help the bond.   I was not able to do mine without the help of a heat gun.   My interior guy uses a steam gun for heat.    My dry heat gun gets hot so be careful to not scorch the material.   You can also do them in steps, meaning that you don't have to do the whole surface at once. That helps keep the material where you want it when you go from an inside radius to an outside radius Relatively simple job.

Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2017 at 4:38pm

Any recommendations for upholstery in NC?   

David,

Jay and Michele in Statesville, NC used a company in Troutman, NC ( Lake Norman) for the seats in their Barefoot Nautique. This boat was at White Lake this year. They were very pleased with the company that did their seats and it was a great price. Last spring , a friend's 2013 Bennington Pontoon got hit over the winter by some pissed of Muskrats. The dealer quoted him $11,000 more than Cathy's Cushions in Troutman. Granted, the dealer was going to use factory skins and such, but my friend was not a picky as me and was happy with the match that Cathy was able to do on his boat. I have their phone number in my notes. I am on the road right now and I will get this to you on Friday. I should be able to give you some help Friday or Saturday with some grinding. I will let you know.

Donald .
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2017 at 6:42pm
I am deathly afraid to know what kind of grinding you do Cousin Don. I have an idea that is now stuck in my head on just how itchy you'd be. I would think with all the Christmas parties you'd be booked anyway.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2017 at 8:57am
Cathy's Cushions
www.cathyscushions.net
477 Lytton St.
Troutman, NC
704-881-2581
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1011121314 21>
  Share Topic