NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New to me 78 Tique

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1112131415 21>
Author
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2017 at 9:03am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

I would think with all the Christmas parties you'd be booked anyway.

Once again, you are very perceptive. Yes, bookings have been strong for the BUNS OF STEEL GRINDING TOUR. It seems like when the Cubby Chasers get their Christmas Bonus they can't wait to stuff it in a hot and sweaty G-String !!!!!!!!!!!

I have been very concerned that with all of the Hollywood (Not our Hollywood), drive by TV media, Alabama Race, US Congress groping scandals would somehow hurt my business. So far it has not, but now looks like I will never be able to run for US Congress or Senate or be chosen to replace Matt L. on the Today Show. ,

I am also looking to install one of those office door lock buttons under my desk, but not for the reasons you are thinking. It will be to keep Quinner out, not in.
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2017 at 12:03am
Some more progress has been made. Last weekend we didn't get to grind bc of the snow and rain but got a few other items taken care of. Used an eraser wheel to take off the three decals on each stern side. And heat to take off the previous owners pin striping. Also fabbed up an aluminum bracket for the back of our tach and removed the rivets and the correct craft emblems.

This week we got a shipment from US Composites, put a deposit down on upholstery and bought grey and black grass carpet with marine backing (a Shaw product). Couldn't find yellow and black. Jesse is picking up wood on Tues.

Today, Jesse grinded and got us close to finished. I hope to finish the grinding on Thursday this week when I have some vacation.   

Questions:
-What can we use to get a little decal adhesive off with...acetone, goo gone or something? Want to make sure what we use won't hurt the gel.
-We have a safety sticker behind our Morse control. After speaking to Marty I don't think it is original. I took a closer look and it is a BIA sticker. Were those stickers ever standard?
-Anyone with a bead on windshield gasket (for in between the frame and the gel coat)? I see some on amazon that just looks like foam.
-Plan to wash and buff with super duty once done grinding. Should we use On and Off or another product prior to that?

Heat lamp

Bottom sample is what we ordered

Colors available from Shaw in grass cloth with marine backing. Were able to buy small amount.

A little project with the old emblem...this one was in three pieces. The other is in about 5-6 pieces.
78 Ski Tique, 72 Skier w/302's, 93 SN w/351 & 17 GS22 w/zr409
Previous - 99 Sport Nautique w/GT40 and 87 Martinique w/351
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2017 at 1:09am
Dave,

I would try to use Acetone to remove the decal adhesive. You will not hurt the Gel Coat. It has cured out in 1978. I would apply it and wipe it off. It should evaporate very fast.

Donald
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2017 at 10:07am
You will be using gallons of acetone with this project.

Your grass samples don’t represent all colors available. Never seen/heard of yellow/black, original would have been tan/black and is available iirc. Salt/pepper would also be a good choice with yellow.

Hull should be as clean as possible before gel restore... on/off for any water stains (be very careful near painted items like the trailer), soap+water and acetone for any tough spots. Be careful on the painted graphics, compound will remove them.

The decal behind the Morse was common in the late 70’s.
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2017 at 11:05am
Thanks for the feedback. Will get acetone and on and off.

As for carpet, I was a little misleading with my post. Those are the colors offered from the manufacturer we chose. We found lots of other colors however some were sold by the roll only if you wanted marine backing. We preferred gray over others since we are going with a similar yellow to our current graphics. Never found salt and pepper, that could have been a contender but the gray will be in soon. It will look great and be original material if not color.
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2017 at 12:22pm
+1 on the on/off comment by Tim

You guys have ability to hang or support the boat off the trailer and should do so
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2017 at 10:07pm
And a little more at a time. Took the afternoon off work and grinded today for a few hours and we think that is behind us. While I was at that, Jesse used the cold chisel and got the exhaust elbows off and cleaned off all of the gasket material. Next up. A good bath inside and out. I’ll be back at it on thurs with the day off. Pics will come this weekend. No one with windshield gasket knowledge?
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2017 at 11:02pm
A big day in Denton. Our cousin came to visit and help, cousin Donald! Helped a lot with an extra buffer and some wet sand paper. Greg stopped by for a few min too. Great day cleaning up the boat. Cleaned out all of the glass dust, wet sanded a little on the bad spots and compounded the rest of the boat. Now it’s time to cut some stringers. We have Doug fir and will start cutting tomorrow night I think. Thanks for the help today Donald. And thanks for the moral support greg. Both helped us add to the beer can pile.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2017 at 12:01am
David and Jesse,

It was an honor to add to the Budweiser Can Pile / Stringer Replacement Parts List . Surprisingly, it has been a while since I have cracked open a Budweiser at 10:00 AM. Normally, I open Bud Light when drinking before noon.

It was a fun day and you guys are doing a first class stringer replacement and boat reconditioning. On behalf of Correct Craft Fan, I inspected the project and found no unapproved items or procedures being applied to the Ski Tique. Without Greg's project management leadership, we surely would not have drank as much. Jesse has one of the best if not the best shop I have ever seen or had the pleasure to work / drink in.

Here is the current status of the can pile.

Here is the post compound and some wet sanding project Tique

I had a blast and thanks for letting me come play today.

Donald
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2017 at 8:05am
With that collection of empties I'm just glad you guys were buffing and not masking off new paint lines or they'd have more waves than Quinner with his date on a waterbed.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2017 at 9:58am
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

than Quinner with his date on a waterbed.

Tim,
I think you're assuming CQ can get a date!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2017 at 6:05pm
Fitting Stringers last night and this morning. First a few pics of the cleaned up boat and finished grinding. We used a dewalt 4in angle grinder and it worked well. We found the best grinding to be done with a 36grit flap disc although we did go through a few...but at $3.99 they weren't too bad to buy. We used a cyclone pre filter on a 5-gal bucket and a shop vac. Good system, While the shop vac would still fill up, we didn't have to empty it often. Most went in the bucket like advertised.

And some stringer fitting. Using our old stringer since it was in good condition. And found some nice straight white pine for the starboard side. No need to go all fancy. This looks ok, right?

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2017 at 9:26am
Just to clarify, before the site goes nuts.

The White Pine Stringer was just a test stringer. David and Jesse have Douglas Fur that was a little pricey so they wanted to be sure to cut some test pieces for fitting and measuring and such. They did not want to experiment with the Douglas Fur.

That was a close call. You guys might of got a visitor over Christmas from the North Woods and I do not mean Santa.

Also, that guy on the left is Damn Good Looking.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2017 at 9:34am
Guys' it's looking fantastic. I'm glad you're taking your time and it looks like you're doing a top notch job. I like the idea of the test stringer. I do however question your taste in beers!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2017 at 10:08am
Was trying a little April fools in December, guess it didn't go that well. We found Douglas Fir locally (about 1.5hr drive). The Pine was a test cut to make sure we had the process down. We cut the bottom with a circular and jig saw and then shaped it with a power planer. Blocking is just wedged in the bottom to keep them square. Top will be done next. Hope to get a lot more accomplished New Year's weekend. Pics below of the mains

Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2017 at 10:14am
Originally posted by Donald80SN Donald80SN wrote:

Just to clarify, before the site goes nuts.

The White Pine Stringer was just a test stringer. David and Jesse have Douglas Fur that was a little pricey so they wanted to be sure to cut some test pieces for fitting and measuring and such. They did not want to experiment with the Douglas Fur.

That was a close call. You guys might of got a visitor over Christmas from the North Woods and I do not mean Santa.

Also, that guy on the left is Damn Good Looking.

Thank GOD you clarified that!! I was starting to sweat as I read it! Looking good!!
Js
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2017 at 11:00am
Several large 1/2 round holes for drainage would be my choice also. That lets water drain to the main bilge area and out the drain hole (garboard drain). Douglas Fir is the choice wood on this site cause white pine sealed correctly and glassed in correctly will probably rot by the year 2047.   
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2017 at 11:43am
Drain holes are drawn and not cut. I had to be home in time to go watch wake forest get embarrassed by tenn yesterday so we didn’t get to do it all. But they are fit to the floor. Go deacs.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2017 at 12:04pm
Awww, Donald, you spoiled all the fun. Your clarification on materials is appreciated, but I wish you had waited a while. You have to admit it would have been fun to see someone's head explode at the thought of pine stringers.

Great thread and great progress guys. I am going to be embarrassed to bring my Tique to the next local gathering.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2017 at 12:08pm
To keep it original shouldn't the drain holes be 5/32" and not sealed on the inside where they are drilled through?

I am so impressed watching you guys work on this project, I only wish I had that kind of skill and attention to detail.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2017 at 12:44pm
Ha, 2x10 clear white pine probably cost more around here than fir and we are the Pine Tree State.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2017 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Awww, Donald, you spoiled all the fun. Your clarification on materials is appreciated, but I wish you had waited a while. You have to admit it would have been fun to see someone's head explode at the thought of pine stringers.

Yea, I just did not want to see any ones Christmas ruined with Santa Pete knocking on their front door with a Holiday Turtle Neck , Pencil Protector and a case of Spotted Cow Bear. Also, I stated above that I had done a CCFAN Materials list inspection. My spotless reputation was on the line.

David and Jesse,
The stringer shaping came out great. We need an update on the can pile. That looked like it took at least an 18 pack.

Merry Christmas too all.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2017 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

Douglas Fir is the choice wood on this site cause white pine sealed correctly and glassed in correctly will probably rot by the year 2047.   

I sure agree but with a very good CPES treatment and one extra layer of glass to compensate for the difference in strength would be my suggestion.

Don't forget the CPES and glass at the drain holes.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2017 at 6:41pm
Made progress this weekend. More wood work. Take a look at the pics. Anything that isn't doug fir is just spacer until glass. We still need to level the port side secondary. Ran out of time.

Couple of questions:

-We will be doing a 3/4 plywood floor glassed to the walls. Is that enough structure w/o foam or do we need to do some ribs? Suggestions?

-When you bed the wood in thickened epoxy do you weight it down as much as possible to get the wood to touch the hull?

-How to glue the secondary boards together? We will CPES them all individually I think (thoughts?) but how to keep together? Glue, epoxy, etc? Once glassed it won't really matter.

-Also, what gasket material would be on our commander exhaust manifolds at the elbow? Thick paper or cork? We may have taken it off and don't remember.

Thanks for any suggestions!

fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2017 at 6:58pm
Nice work. I like your detailed photos an thread info. Much needed reading material for me to put my mind in warmer weather mode! -18 degrees here tonight. Bring on summer please.
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2017 at 7:13pm
David,
Your progress is looking great.
You can glue the secondary laminations together with several adhesives. Thickened epoxy would be my first choice. Second would be a polyurethane like Titebond Polyurethane and third would be a construction adhesive like Loctite PL (which is also a polyurethane but thickened.

Bedding the stringers to the hull shouldn't take much weight as long as you have scribed them close and it looks like you are. Still, throw a couple 12 packs on each side.

The 3/4 ply is plenty especially since you will be glassing it to the hull sides. 5/8 would work too. There are some who don't believe in glassing the sole (floor) to the hull sides but I'm one who feels it's good. I would through a couple ribs in on each side between the hull and the secondary's

Go with thick paper gasket rated for a high temp on the manifolds. .

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2017 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by samudj01 samudj01 wrote:

-Also, what gasket material would be on our commander exhaust manifolds at the elbow? Thick paper or cork? We may have taken it off and don't remember.

I don't remember seeing anything about how you finally got the manifolds apart after all the discussion about them so,how'd you get them apart?
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2017 at 8:18pm
I was hard at work grinding fiberglass and Jesse was sipping on cold beer messing with the manifolds. In the end he got them off with a cold chisel. Left a small mark but just on the outside. Think the gasket will still have plenty of surface area to do it’s job.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-01-2018 at 11:06am
I'm with Pete on adding a couple of ribs in there from the wall to the secondaries especially in the high traffic areas. A little extra work but peace of mind once its back together plus the insurance of a sturdy floor when you load up a cooler and have an anchor in there bouncing around
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-01-2018 at 2:22pm
If you are going to add more ribs and glass the plywood to the hull, 1/2" plywood will be fine. The boat wasn't built with plywood, so you'll be raising your floor by the thickness that you use. It wouldn't matter to me, but some tall guys are sensitive to their sight line through the windshield.

All your work looks great!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1112131415 21>
  Share Topic