NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New to me 78 Tique

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 89101112 21>
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2017 at 5:42pm
I'm still running the original steering cable in my 77 and it's fine. In fact, I still have the original cable in my 64 and it too is fine. I don't know what they did with the cables in later years that make them go bad in such a short time?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2017 at 6:10pm
Fancy synthetic lubricants, The whale oil in those old cables is the best
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2017 at 6:15pm
I am pretty sure that they build the cables to fail now. We would see 4-6 year failures on newer boats when I was working at the dealer. My dad's 98 cable was really really tight when we acquired it in 2014. Only had 378 hours on the clock.

My 85 is still original and it's one of the most easy/smooth cables I've encountered besides the 90BFN. I haven't had a chance to poke around in that boat to see if that cable is original but I am guessing it is.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2017 at 6:54pm
What ever you do if your cable is original and it's good I would leave it. I truely believe it's a new lubricant issue. My Shamrocks was changed in 94,it went bad last year, fall of '16. The 95's went in '14 so say 20 years average. The lube in both was sticky after I cut the ends off to check them, no other damage or for that matter wear at all. The Mustangs I changed because every winter it froze, just thought it might be time. It only had sheath damage, it was the original.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2017 at 7:00pm
You can do it now, or you can do it later...
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2017 at 8:09pm
Easy enough to change in a DD. Now if it was a V drive........ or has sheath damage
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2017 at 10:44pm
Has anyone figured out how to pump fresh grease through these cables from one end?
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2017 at 11:14am
I've drilled with a stop collar on the bit, then carefully tapped to then screw in a zerk, then grease.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2017 at 11:18am
You would need to solvent flush first to get the solidified lub out first. I seem to remember Gary made a fitting to go on one end to pump lube through. I don't think it worked. Gary??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2017 at 11:18am
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

I've drilled with a stop collar on the bit, then carefully tapped to then screw in a zerk, then grease.

Does it work?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2017 at 11:34am
My one data point was affirmative. Placed on the crimp collar. things sound ugly when one hits the hardened wire weave of the outer jacket, but its not necessary to entirely drill all the way through as the grease will flow around the outer wires. the crimp collar has enough metal to support the zerk.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2017 at 11:41am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

You would need to solvent flush first to get the solidified lub out first. I seem to remember Gary made a fitting to go on one end to pump lube through. I don't think it worked. Gary??

Not me,I cut all 3 of mine open to see what was going on. I would not call it solidified,it was more of a gummy or sticky substance on the newer two. The Mustangs was dry like nothing was ever in it but it did have sheath cracks maybe washing out the lube? It never steered hard though I just changed it out
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2017 at 12:51pm
If I had the time which I do not my approach to trying to salvage in existing Steering cable would be to create a steam box with the cable hung vertically such that any residual grease would liquefy and drain out. I like the idea of adding Zerk fittings to the cable to promote lubrication
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2017 at 1:00pm
The only thing I have seen preventative maintenance wise that works well is to keep as little water in the bilge as possible while using and always drain after use/when going onto the lift.

Water mixes with the odd lube inside and turns it into a sticky substance?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2017 at 2:35pm
I believe that is what the seal on the support tube is there to prevent. I know Dad never had a lot of water in his bilge of the Shamrock, I was dumbfounded when it went bad. I just have a feeling it the type of lube they now use. Keeps profits up
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2017 at 2:37pm
Probably why Morse no longer makes cables and controls. They are basically lifetime products if maintained properly.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2017 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Well here comes another backyard hack solution that may or may not work for you depending on the issue with the cable.

I won't claim to have thought this up on my own, it's far too technologically advanced

Got it somewhere on the internet years ago

This was done to a rotary style cable as pictured

I took the cable out of the boat and clamped a piece of hose on the end that would go into the steering helm. Hose was long enough to cover all of the exposed spiral wound cable. On this cable 3/4 inch ID hose fit nicely.

Take that end and elevate it and leave the rudder end on the ground (I tied it to my porch handrail)

I then filled the 3/4 inch hose with some 90% diesel fuel/10% ATF mix and let gravity do it's thing for a day or so.

It leaked into the cable and came out the other end and loosened things up and you could push and pull the rudder end of the cable pretty easily.

No attempt was made to add any lubricant after this and it went back in the boat and steered pretty easily with one hand.

Before this it was a "two hander" when it came to steering.

It's been about 5 years and it still steers about the same.

This is in a boat that lives in the water for 6 months of the year with some water in the bilge.all the time

Someone may wonder why after going to the trouble to take the cable out, I didn't just replace it.

I might wonder that myself but I wanted to see if it would actually work and maybe even last a while.

I'd call it one of those "do at your own risk type things".

I replaced cables on friends boats instead of doing this because it was the sure fire solution and I wouldn't be worried about their steering

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2017 at 3:19pm
Ken,
Thanks for reminding me that you and not Gary was the one who did the "backyard trick" on the cable.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2017 at 3:23pm
I never admitted it till now Pete

I guess if you can admit to having electronic ignition in the Tique and setting foot into an AutoZone I can admit to being a true backyard hack
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2017 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

I never admitted it till now Pete

I guess if you can admit to having electronic ignition in the Tique and setting foot into an AutoZone I can admit to being a true backyard hack

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2017 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by samudj01 samudj01 wrote:

David, I can provide a good solution for this problem! Shoot me an email as I have some Tique parts piling up this fall.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2017 at 5:56pm
New steering cables are expensive, but not as much as having a boat accident.

A new one is cheap insurance in my book.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2017 at 2:24pm
Next step is cutting and grinding. Do we need to take off all of the underwater gear/through hull items? We prefer to leave them on but look for advice. Items like rudder port, strut, drain, fin, etc. We do plan to remove the backers for the platform brackets and exhaust tips.

Also, what is the trick for removing the chrome ski tique emblem from the dash. I cut out the foam on the back side thinking I would find studs/nuts but did not.
78 Ski Tique, 72 Skier w/302's, 93 SN w/351 & 17 GS22 w/zr409
Previous - 99 Sport Nautique w/GT40 and 87 Martinique w/351
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2017 at 4:06pm
You will want to change the wood block that supports the rudder port along with the blocks that the exhaust passes thru the transom. While in there check the block that the lift ring is bolted to also. The badge should be a press fit into holes drilled in the dash, look behind it and see if they were drilled all the way thru. If so gently tap from behind with a small punch. You only want to move it a little at a time., say 1/16" . Alternate side to side, take your time. These break very easily, you will be hard pressed to find another
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Susan's 78 Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan's 78 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2017 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by samudj01 samudj01 wrote:

Next step is cutting and grinding. Do we need to take off all of the underwater gear/through hull items? We prefer to leave them on but look for advice. Items like rudder port, strut, drain, fin, etc. We do plan to remove the backers for the platform brackets and exhaust tips.

Also, what is the trick for removing the chrome ski tique emblem from the dash. I cut out the foam on the back side thinking I would find studs/nuts but did not.

I had the same thing happen on my Ski Tique a couple of weeks ago. It's actually taped/glued on to the dash (no holes). It came apart in 3-4 pieces because it's a super soft metal that looks almost like plastic, This is what you're looking for right? I haven't been able to find anyone with a replacement for the Tique emblem. We have a diagram of it and are in the process of having it re-created with a 3D printer. I'll keep you posted.
My '78 Ski Tique Family Boat
Purchased NEW in the summer of '78
Restoring it LIKE NEW for the summer of 2018!
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2017 at 7:50pm
Mine looks to have studs on the back from what I can see between the emblem and black dash. May just tape it up and buff around it

Also, took apart my air guide. Any advice on cleaning the face plate? Should I just get some neon orange to reprint the needle?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2017 at 8:31pm
I think unless you are severely OCD that would be best for now. At one time someone made up new face decals. TRBenj would most likely have the answer as he has done some.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2017 at 9:00am
Do the stringers extend into/under the air box? Do we need to take the air box out ? Got the floor out. Foam is damp but not soaked. Going to work today on getting out the wood and foam.
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2017 at 11:11pm
David,

The air box needs to come out to do a correct job. IMHO.

Others have used new materials like PVC pipe within the air box rebuild for the duct air piping and the cables. That is a great area to make improvements. Also, inspect the metal rods that attach in the front and back for lifting the boat or for hanging in a boat house while you have it ripped open.

Donald
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2017 at 12:23am
Thanks Donald. The air box came out today. Along with all foam and starboard stringers. Tomorrow am will be port stringers. I would post pics if I could off of my phone.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 89101112 21>
  Share Topic