NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New to me 78 Tique

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1213141516 21>
Author
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-01-2018 at 4:05pm
We took floor height into account and made adjustments to the stringers to accommodate the 3/4” ply. Should be the same height as from the factory (or close at least depending on fiberglass). We did not change the stringer height at the motor mounts.
78 Ski Tique, 72 Skier w/302's, 93 SN w/351 & 17 GS22 w/zr409
Previous - 99 Sport Nautique w/GT40 and 87 Martinique w/351
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-01-2018 at 9:50pm
Beautiful craftsmanship.
Nice can pile too.
Curious, in this and other stringer replacement pics I see the beefed up area of the outboard stringers. adjacent to/astern of the motor bay.
What is the purpose of this extra-wood?
Thanks, HNY!
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-01-2018 at 10:54pm
I’m not sure and will look forward to an answer. We, however, are going to let the removable floor section behind the motor meet the floor that goes to the wall on top of that wide section. Originally the glassed floor from the wall covered the entire secondary there. We went back with 4 sandwiched 1x6’s there. Ours originally had foam in between instead of the extra wood.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2018 at 10:01am
Looks like you've thought of everything. Great work!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2018 at 11:29am
The exhaust pockets are tapered so they are narrower than the motorbox up front and wide enough for mufflers in the back. Study a ~73-75 structure and the pockets stay narrow (pre mufflers). I have seen some stringer jobs keep full width pockets and end up with a gap in the floor around the motorbox (whoops).
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2018 at 2:07pm
Ah yes, makes sense. Thanks.
I'll keep that in my notes when my recent-to-me '81 goes under the knife.
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"

gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2018 at 7:33pm
I haven't checked in on your project in a while - It's coming along nicely, great job so far!
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2018 at 11:40am
We are planning to CPES all of the wood in the boat. In regard to the floor...the plan is to go with 3/4" ply and put a layer of cloth on top to fully waterproof and strengthen. Is that cloth overkill or are we thinking correctly. If cloth, any weight recommendations. We are looking at the 8.5oz ecloth. Thanks.
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2018 at 1:20pm
Having some issues getting the oxidation out of the black dash. Have used 600 and 1000. Is that black dash gel as thick as the white gel on the rest of the hull or should I be concerned. I have some scratches left so I am going to hit it with 800, 1000, 1200 and then compound this weekend.

Also, on a prior question: We are planning to CPES all of the wood in the boat. In regard to the floor...the plan is to go with 3/4" ply and put a layer of cloth on top to fully waterproof and strengthen. Is that cloth overkill or are we thinking correctly. If cloth, any weight recommendations. We are looking at the 8.5oz ecloth. Thanks.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2018 at 1:41pm
David,
I would suggest cloth on both sides but a very light weight like 4oz. Yes, you are planning on a CPES treatment but the cloth will bind the surface preventing any potential checking/splits in the ply. Keep in mind that epoxy is basically an adhesive and it's the glass that's the strength. Have you purchased the 3/4 ply yet? As mentioned, it's overkill. With the cloth on both sides, I'd go 1/2" plus, you are planning on adding some port to starboard ribs correct?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2018 at 2:19pm
The satin black gelcoat is thinner than the overall color, and is easily sanded through, esp. on the earlier boats. Proceed carefully.
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"

samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2018 at 7:41pm
Hoping to glass in the stringers starting Sunday. Question, after bedding in thickened epoxy we plan to use 2” tape down the joint using what gets pushed out when we push the wood down. We will then wet out the 2”. Should that joint be a gradual slope or more of a 90 degree angle?

Also how many layers of glass can we lay at a time?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2018 at 9:02pm
David,
Lay as many layers of glass at one time as you can while still maintaining the position of the glass layup. You will get a better bond. If you run into an area where the layer of glass below what's to slide out of position, wait for the epoxy to just "kick" (starting to get hard) and then layup the next layer.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2018 at 10:17am
You don’t want a 90 degree joint. Use thickened epoxy to make a fillet. I used the back of a plastic spoon to get a decent shape. The rounding strengthens the joint and makes it easier to lay glass on top.
'92 Sport Nautique
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2018 at 12:20pm
+1 on what Brent said sharp 90' corners = weaker joint....Airplane windows are rounded because of this same principal.

You can also use your finger instead of a spoon much like caulking a bathtub corner with caulk and water. Spray The Joint lightly with rubbing alcohol (not beer) and drag your index finger along the joint. Smooths it out very nicely. Tricks of the trade we use at work all the time.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2018 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

You can also use your finger instead of a spoon Tricks of the trade we use at work all the time.

Here's Tim at an earlier stage in life!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2018 at 2:15pm
earlier stage in life???? Heck that's me now when I eat Ribs or Hot Wings!!!!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2018 at 3:04pm
https://m.harborfreight.com/4-In-Putty-Spreaders-20-Pc-69564.html

We have used a lot of these.

I would recommend bedding the stringers down in one session (create fillet with excess bedding) then waiting until cured to start glassing them down. Keeping the stringers in place, plumb and weighted down should be the first priority, come back to them once they’re set.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2018 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

https://m.harborfreight.com/4-In-Putty-Spreaders-20-Pc-69564.html

We have used a lot of these.

Putty spreader.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2018 at 3:11pm
Thanks for all of the replies. Very helpful. We are packing up at the farm getting ready to go to my garage. Next up, get the garage temp above 55. Look forward to pics.
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2018 at 3:56pm
In a pinch grab one of the girls old baby spoons (just don’t let Ridley see you) and use it as a spreader at the intersection of stringers to floor
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2018 at 7:07pm
Ok, a few pics of our test board that we did Thurs night.

Bedded in thickened epoxy (Epoxy, Cabosil, Milled Fiber)...we put two nails down to test some gap.

Front side has some filet similar to the tips above. We used our finger. A spoon will probably be the go to for consistency. I'll grab one of the baby spoons out of the china cabinet.

Back side was the 90 degree with no filet...we didn't think this was good. Had read a lot on no sharp angles. Have routed all stringer material with a quarter round bit.

Wetted out

Boat in its "short term" home...Ridgely is going to be happy when she gets home from her business trip on Thurs night at midnight. Don't worry I unplugged the garage door so she doesn't ruin the temp control.

Supplies for heat. Anyone have experience with removable foam to seal the garage door. It is old, wood and drafty! Pete???? I'm headed to HD in an hour.
MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2018 at 10:52pm
I have been able to heat a detached garage with un-insulated metal garage doors between 20 & 30 degrees with 4 electric heaters. Being attached to a house with heat transfer into the space through a couple of walls should make it easier.
'92 Sport Nautique
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2018 at 11:08pm
I'd force fit some foam board against the garage door & jambs. Might take some 2x's to hold it in place. Slow down drafts & thermal conductivity for under $50. Plus you can use it for another project later.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2018 at 10:17am
Take a look at mr. Heater portable propane heaters. They are not very expensive, great to have around for emergencies anyway, and if you get the conversion kit to plug it into a grill bottle they will heat quite a while on a bottle. Not that I'm saying to run it 24 hours, but if the electrics keep things at a baseline temp you could click on the propane for an hour as you get going on work and you'd be amazed how quickly it brings the temperature up without using a lot of propane. Just a thought.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2018 at 10:22am
I have a portable that connects to a propane tank as mentioned above. Would be a good solution - used to use it it the workshop (when I had one).
You should be more concerned with keeping the fumes out of the house.
The Mrs. will forget about not getting into the garage but fiberglass fumes maybe not so much
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2018 at 10:41am
Careful with using the non vented heaters not only from a carbon monoxide standpoint but from the moisture produced. You will get condensation on cool surfaces and to the point that it will rain!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2018 at 12:03pm
Just make it easy, go get a roll of the heaviest MIL plastic you can find. Cover the garage door. Maybe even divide half the garage your working in floor to ceiling and concentrate on heating that with the electric heaters. You be surprised how much a difference that plastic will make for something temporary. Its cheap.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2018 at 12:18pm
I scored a kerosene heater at lowes a few years ago for $40 but that was at the end of winter. Don't know if you'll get that lucky as it's still a little early but look anyway when ya go. It kept the garage pretty warm when I had to do the fiberglass work on Kermit a couple years ago. Fired it up about 30 mins before I started working to get it comfortable in there. Didn't take much to keep it at decent temps as its a basement garage and only three walls are exposed to the exterior.

I installed the plastic strips with the rubber edge seal on both garage doors to help keep out the cold air. They work really well so that's a thought if you don't wanna go with the plastic route.
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2018 at 1:55pm
Please be sure to move all empty Budweiser's generated at your home back to the original pile at the farm when you take the boat back for reassembly. This is an important materials needed study when doing such a project. You are not doing this for you, you are doing for others. .
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1213141516 21>
  Share Topic