NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New to me 78 Tique

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1415161718 21>
Author
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2018 at 11:20am
We are comfortable with a lot of this work, and have gotten comfortable with the stuff we had never done, like fiberglass. I would say our next "worry" is how to mount the engine and align the shaft. Of course we have seen the videos Pete . Our concern is that our engine mounts don't move in all directions so we fee like the lag holes are of great importance to get perfect and we are worried with getting it all lined up before drilling those holes. After they are drilled, we should be able to fine tune pretty well. Thoughts?
78 Ski Tique, 72 Skier w/302's, 93 SN w/351 & 17 GS22 w/zr409
Previous - 99 Sport Nautique w/GT40 and 87 Martinique w/351
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2018 at 11:30am
If your using your original shaft, make sure it is not fretted before you commit to it.

We just installed a Commander in our Tique last fall and I was surprised how easy it lined up. All the mounts moved up and down and sideways. Don't yours?
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2018 at 11:44am
They may not seem to move in all directions, but the level of adjustment in each mount gives a surprising amount of movement from a shaft angle point of view. Unless you have some different type of mount? Pictures?
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2018 at 11:50am
I would lay it in place without moving the mounts from when you took it out.

Put the shaft back exactly where it lines up with the wear from the cutlass bearing. See where you sit and then decide a plan of action on adjustments etc, before drilling anything at all.
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2018 at 7:33pm
Thanks. Will look at the mounts better this weekend. I’ll take some pics of the mounts and the shaft.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2018 at 9:47pm
Use shims & 2x4 blocks to stabilize the engine while you are finding alignment

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2018 at 10:50pm
So we did a little work on Sat. Cut all the rest of the wood (in addition to what you see we cut the kickplate, misc brackets, rear stringer wedges, bulkheads etc):

That grew the can pile:

Below, see our motor mounts. They only seem to go up and down. One of the bolt slots on each mount allows for a little side to side. That seems like something that could move under load.

This was my first pass at scoops. Pretty good. Used weldwood contact cement:

On Sunday I worked on the gel with some wetsanding on the stern and then compounding and polishing. Next up, back to CPES and glassing in the floor.
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2018 at 12:23pm
Any helpful tips on aligning the engine with these motor mounts now that pics of them are posted? It is our worry. Finished the primaries with another layer of mat and woven last night. Now on to bilge paint and bulkheads. Then floor.
rolleronariver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolleronariver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2018 at 1:11pm
I had issues with my mounts when I did my stringers and went to realign too. I ended up jacking the motor up and taking the mounts off. Then I went to town on taking them apart and freeing them up. I had to hammer one out and even use some heat. after I spent a couple hours doing that they started working pretty good again. I'm going to realign my stringers again before we get the boat out so we'll see in a few weeks if they're still freed up or not.
92 Sport nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2018 at 1:13pm
David,
With the prop shaft in, centered in the log and "happy" in the strut, get the engine as close to aligned to the shaft as possible. Hold off drill any mount holes into the stringers till the very last. There are elongated holes in the mounts for very fine adjustment. If worse came to worse, you can fill a misdrilled pilot hole. At least your mounts have vertical adjustment and you don't have to use the wood or cast wedges under them.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
rolleronariver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolleronariver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2018 at 1:14pm
BTW, I love seeing the progress on this boat. I'm really getting the itch to rebuild another one. I just don't have the time or money to do it right now. Momma is wanting a new Yukon and that's what we're getting ready to put a bunch of money towards. Those things are stupid expensive!!
92 Sport nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2018 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by rolleronariver rolleronariver wrote:

I had issues with my mounts when I did my stringers and went to realign too. I ended up jacking the motor up and taking the mounts off. Then I went to town on taking them apart and freeing them up. .

Chris,
Note that David's mounts are the type that are not adjustable port to starboard.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2018 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

David,
With the prop shaft in, centered in the log and "happy" in the strut, get the engine as close to aligned to the shaft as possible. Hold off drill any mount holes into the stringers till the very last. There are elongated holes in the mounts for very fine adjustment. If worse came to worse, you can fill a misdrilled pilot hole. At least your mounts have vertical adjustment and you don't have to use the wood or cast wedges under them.

I think your alignment might end up being more straightforward than you are anticipating. We can see how careful you are with the whole process so your new stringers should be a very good match for the old, when you do what Pete suggests and see that shaft flange related to the tranny I think you'll be pleasantly surprised that a bit of up/down adjustment front and back and you'll have it nailed.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2018 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

I think your alignment might end up being more straightforward than you are anticipating. We can see how careful you are with the whole process .

I sure agree!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2018 at 5:44pm
Anyone with a pic of the foam that would go under our windshield frame? Ours is degraded. Just called Taylor made and what they showed me does not look like what is on our boat. Plus it was $50 which seemed high.

Also, anyone have a surplus of t-bolts from having to buy too many and want to sell me some. I’m looking at those on eBay.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2018 at 6:00pm
David, you can get that stick on stuff from Correct Craft dealers. White lake probably stock it. It looks similar to a figure 8 packing peanut when you look at it from a side profile and it has adhesive on one side you peal and stick. It's rubber and insulates/seals pretty well.

Don't remember the part number sorry, Others may know a different source.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2018 at 6:19pm
McMaster 8694K111 $4.15
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2018 at 6:24pm
McPete to the rescue again.
woodyelc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodyelc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2018 at 3:11pm
use the t-bolt from a toilet repair just have grind down the head to slide in the track
woodyelc
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2018 at 12:52am
Been a little lax lately giving updates. So here goes. We have been getting work done.

Taped the letters with 1/8" fine line vinyl masking tape and used frisket to mask. Tried to show this process. Primed with some white and then shot yellow. Did the whole thing with an airbrush. My neighbor who does a lot of airbrush work on model airplanes helped. We actually started spraying the black outline tonight.

In my hand is the "I" frisket that I cut out. Used a hobby knife to cut gently on the fine line tape to remove the frisket from where we wanted to paint.

Note that the correct craft eps file in the ref section has sharp outer edges for the "O". I had two masks printed so I cut up the second to get the rounded corners from other letters for the "O".

Any advice for final sanding and polishing/rubbing compound over the rustoleum. We used regular rustoleum with 25% toluene to paint.

We have glassed in the floor and epoxy painted the bilge. Also put in the air duct pipes and pipe for wires. I don't have a good pic of the latter. Tonight we almost finished the glass work. Have two small items and the muffler. Then on to carpet.

Got our upholstery back from the shop. They did a nice job at what we thought was a reasonable rate. Take a look:

fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2018 at 9:17am
Nice work. It looks awesome.
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2018 at 9:32am
The yellow was and still is my favorite!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2018 at 12:21pm
You guys are really getting after it. At this rate you will be splashing it in April!
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2018 at 1:52pm
After watching you guys work I'm never going to touch my boat again, I'm not worthy.

Just amazing how you roll through difficult detail work with such skill and precision. Really can't wait to see it on the water, but I bet you can't either!
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2018 at 3:14pm
Can pile update is long overdue
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2018 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

The yellow was and still is my favorite!

It ain't easy being Green!

Looks great Guys... I guess you can still get pleated/seamed vinyl?
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2018 at 3:58pm
Great work guys!!
David, without hijacking your thread too much how are you posting/uploading your pics??
I have 2 projects going and would like to update but posting with pics is such a PITA the way I am doing it now
OldSchoolBlue84 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2018 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Great work guys!!
David, without hijacking your thread too much how are you posting/uploading your pics??
I have 2 projects going and would like to update but posting with pics is such a PITA the way I am doing it now

Hey Chris, I use imgbb from my iPhone.....

https://imgbb.com/upload
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2018 at 4:32pm
Chris, stop using all your bandwidth for those uhhh videos you like to watch by yourself.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2018 at 5:18pm
You guys are doing an impressive job. Nice work.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1415161718 21>
  Share Topic