Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Brand New 1979 Ski Nautique - Never Started

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Nautique79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brand New 1979 Ski Nautique - Never Started
    Posted: March-02-2017 at 12:02pm
I have a brand new 1979 Correct Craft Ski Nautique which has been kept in a warehouse and never put into water.
I'm going to use the boat for the very first time and I was wondering if any one can help with what specific engine parts I should check first or replace before the boat is put in the water and the engine is turned on..
bb12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bb12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2017 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by Nautique79 Nautique79 wrote:

I have a brand new 1979 Correct Craft Ski Nautique which has been kept in a warehouse and never put into water.

Wait...what??? Brand new 1979? You have to post pictures!
1989 Ski Nautique 2001
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2017 at 12:09pm
That is an amazing find. Please post some pics and the story that goes with it. There's a lot you should do and the site's experts will chime in and offer suggestions.

Stuff I can think of is new fluids, impeller, tune up and making sure the pistons, valves and push rods are free.

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2017 at 12:10pm
Yes you do need to post pics, and I sure hope it's maiden voyage will not be in salt water, yikes.

We really need to see this time capsule, PLEASE post some pictures!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2017 at 12:14pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2017 at 12:17pm
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2017 at 12:55pm
Holy fawk.

Yes, best bar it over slow a few revolutions before utilizing the starter. Front pulley turns CCW

Check point gap, refresh surface on points. Fresh fuel filter element, perhaps.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2017 at 1:00pm
WOW What a barn find. YES, gotta here the story behind it and +2 on not putting it in Salt water.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2017 at 1:02pm
Cool boat. Can't wait to hear the story behind this find.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2017 at 1:20pm
I am not sure I would start it, or put it in any water.... I would probably sell it and buy a user, but that's just me. Has it ever had gas in it?   Besides rolling it over easy, changing the fluids, priming the oil pump, etc... you might need to consider whether the cam was ever broken in.   New impellors in the raw water pump might also be required. Look for any signs of damage to the exhaust hoses, leaks there can cause a quick trip to the bottom.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
rebel skier View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2017 at 2:45pm
Just in case -- its missing a belt to the RWP.

Those pics are 7 years old and appear to be someone's basement.

I agree, what is the story on that boat?
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Owner / Operator of CorrectCraftFan.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2017 at 2:45pm
Ali,
This is a incredible story. Can you provide the full details? Why was the boat stored back in 1979? Where was it stored? Was it climate controlled? How did you find it? Why are you taking it out of storage now?

I have to agree with Joe and question if it should be started at all. You have a time capsule in your possession. Once you place it in the water and start it, you can never take that back.

If you are looking for a Ski Nautique of that era, you can get one pretty cheap and use it however you like. A 38 yr old, brand new 1979 Ski Nautique is once in a life-time find and would be valuable enough to someone that you could sell it and get yourself a newer, better performing Nautique.

If you were to start it ...
Does the engine have oil and gas? If so, you would need to replace, and flush the fluids. Regardless, many of the gaskets may be dried out.

You'd have to check, and best to replace, all the water hoses, fuel lines and belts. You need to replace the impeller for sure, oil filter and water separator (if it has one).

Assuming the storage was moisture and cridder free, I would think all the electronics should be good.

Looking forward to hearing the full story and seeing some current pictures!

-Keith
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2017 at 3:16pm
I agree, sell it back to the factory or to the water ski museum and go get something else.
Don't take a museum piece like that and go ski it. Its one of one !!!
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2017 at 3:20pm
I imagine the carb gaskets will be dried out, Fill the carb with gas and see if it holds fuel.
I would bet every boat was water tested before the original sale and the camshaft broken in so the engine has been run at some point. Great looking boat.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2017 at 3:36pm
It looks like it's pretty nicely preserved but am I the only one seeing evidence of use, updates, etc? Rub rail, trailer bunk carpet, front scoop vinyl?
velde99 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote velde99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2017 at 3:52pm
Wow- rare find.
I would not start or run this boat. Several years ago I bought a 1991 with 38 hours on it. Had sat stored for 22 years at the time. All the gaskets has dried out. Fuel system need to be reworked. Not just as simple as turning the key.
You may find issues with the packing gland, electrical issues that may develops from just sitting around. Fuel and carb issues as well. I would buy a boat you can use unless your a collector.

I would say the value in that boat is the fact it New. Once used it's used- no matter how many hours you run it. A museum piece for sure. Not another like it in the world I'd feel safe in saying.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2017 at 3:54pm
I wonder about the rubber line from pump to carb. Didn't think oem's did that. I'd just use it,they were not made to be museum pieces. That said I would never use it in saltwater
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2017 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by rebel skier rebel skier wrote:

The belt's not missing, it's on top of the engine looped around the carburetor   

Also looks lie a rubber fuel line that probably wasn't OEM

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2017 at 3:56pm
Finally out typed someone
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2017 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Finally out typed someone

Barely A little embarrassing when you hit "post reply" look at it right after it's posted and somebody just posted the same thing It was also a little embarrassing trying to spell embarrassing right. Took a few tries

Why is it that us old guys noticed that hose Gary?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2017 at 4:29pm
While I was blowing up the picture to 500% so that maybe I could read what the exhaust manifold said, 2 yellow butt style crimp connectors jumped right out at me, they're hiding behind the carburetor. Original?

And I still couldn't convince myself that I knew what was on the manifolds, maybe Commander?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2017 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

It looks like it's pretty nicely preserved but am I the only one seeing evidence of use, updates, etc? Rub rail, trailer bunk carpet, front scoop vinyl?

Tim,
You are not the only one. When I looked at the pictures, I too noticed a few things like the carpet.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2017 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Speaking of hood scoop, didn't the 79' come with that big honk'n embossed metal on top of the molded in scoop? if so, this would be a 78' SN, no??

I do see some issues with the rail and perhaps inside carpet, but that doesn't mean the thing wasn't bounced around and used for storage for most of its time in storage.. Looking at the inside of the engine cover, this baby is pretty darn new looking to me..
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had 77 Tique

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2017 at 4:51pm
Isn't a 79' hood scoops glassed into the deck not vinyl like this one.??
Looks like the one on this boat has something wrapped around the vinyl or something, tough to tell
bwinn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2017 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

And I still couldn't convince myself that I knew what was on the manifolds, maybe Commander?

Yes cast aluminum commander manifolds
velde99 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote velde99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2017 at 5:13pm
Funny how the guys asks for advice and the blog turns into a nit picking discussion on how this and that is not correct on his boat. 1978 had vinyl wrapped scoops. Anyone think that this boat was a early 79 model and it had a 78 scoop? If someone has a nicer 1979 then step up and critique it how you want.

I have 5 1991 BFN and ALL are different from the factory. Two have factory electric engine lift units, 3 have different vdrive ratios. One BFN built December 1990 is a 1991 model with 1990 checker graphics versus the fade graphics. One has diffent BFN decals on the transom too. Point being not all boats were made the same. Parts cost CC money- so they used what they had within reason.

Let the guy have his moment in the sun. That is a nice looking boat no matter how you tear it apart.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2017 at 5:21pm
Your the only one being a little biatch stfu
everyone else is making observations, so yeah, let him have his time in the sun
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2017 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by velde99 velde99 wrote:

1978 had vinyl wrapped scoops. Anyone think that this boat was a early 79 model and it had a 78 scoop?

No because the 79' had the scoop molded into the deck. Couldn't have just thrown on a vinyl covered one on it and call it a 79'. Most likely this is a left over 78' and was sold and registered in 79' as a 79'. Again, only guessing, but makes sense.
Of course the differences in the same boats being made has been confirmed and debated often. No one is chopping into this beautiful example of a pristine Correct Craft, but like Quinner said, just making observations..
And the guy doesn't care about having his time in the sun, he just wanted some tips on getting the boat running....
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had 77 Tique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2017 at 5:50pm
Hi Guys, I see a lot of interest from every one on how I found this boat and the story behind it. The fact is that my dad was the distributor for Correct Craft in Iran before the revolution. We had ordered this boat from the factory, tried to cancel it because of the unrest but it was too late and the ship had already sailed.

As a result around fall of 1979 the boat arrived and it's been sitting in our warehouse ever since. Every time I came back for a visit and see this boat I want to know what is the best way to preserve it and make sure it is in perfect running shape. To address the concern some of you guys had about recreational use of this boat, let me say that I've been skiing and been around boats for about 50 years and I know how valuable this boat is to people who have passion and love the sport.

Also to answer some of your questions I should note that the climate is pretty dry here and the boat is in great shape, It has a Ford / Commander engine and every thing is factory installed and original. I'm not a mechanic but I think some of the hoses or the rubber parts have to be checked and/or replaced prior to turning the boat on, however, if some one can really provide expert technical advise I would gladly take it into consideration.

Please let me know if you guys have any other questions or need additional information. I thank every one for the their time and interest and look forward to your replies.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2017 at 6:15pm

Originally posted by rebel skier rebel skier wrote:

The belt's not missing, it's on top of the engine looped around the carburetor   

Also looks lie a rubber fuel line that probably wasn't OEM

Well after some lookin' around, I'm ready to boldly guess that Commander probably had a rubber fuel hose as OEM.

Every picture I can find (at least a half dozen different engines} had the same fat looking rubber hose routed the same way

Here is one example with a little bit of interference out of the way
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic