NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cutlass Bearing replacement

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cutlass Bearing replacement
    Posted: March-17-2017 at 3:30pm
Ok guys, I just called my local "boat shop" as I have been thinking of having my cutlass bearing replaced, and alignment checked...not that it really needed it, but again, this is one of those parts I have NO IDEA how many hours are on it and it's probably original to my 93 SN and I'd like for my peace of mind, to have a new cutlass bearing installed.

So, one shop told me the job to remove shaft, install new cutlass bearing and align shaft would be $600!!!!   OUCH.

So....what I was wondering if any of my "Northern WI" brethren on here would be willing/able to do it for me this coming spring, when I bring the boat up north? I don't feel I have the experience or necessary tooling to do it, so thought I'd ask those of you who are MORE experienced at this procedure.

Thanks for any input.

Dan
'93 Ski Nautique NWZ, Air Boom Tower
Drink Tonight..for tomorrow We Ride!
flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2017 at 6:24pm
saw this tool to remove the cutlass bearing without removing the shaft on Youtube..is it REALLY this easy? Is this tool worth buying, and DIY'ing this??

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZQHLvUUyuE

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2017 at 7:59pm
You could check the health of the cutlass bearing by trying to push the shaft side to side & looking for any play.    Maybe even buy a dial indicator (pretty cheap) so you can measure any play.

If there isn't much play, then it is OK - don't replace it.

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2017 at 8:13pm
so basically I just put the dial indicator on the shaft and rotate it looking for any movement "out of round" ??? how do I hold the dial caliper in place, so it doesn't move for an accurate measurement?

what about, when I spin my prop by hand the cutlass "squeaks" a little when the shaft rotates??

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2017 at 11:25pm
Originally posted by flyweed flyweed wrote:

what about, when I spin my prop by hand the cutlass "squeaks" a little when the shaft rotates??

The squeak is probably because the bearing is dry, squirt a little water on the shaft so it will run down thru the cutlass bearing, then spin it.

It will turn much easier when wet and won't squeak.

I'd just do what SN Obsessed suggested and move it up, down, sideways by hand. A little movement is ok/good and a lot of slop not so good. It's kinda a "feel" type of thing as far as what's too much movement

.005 inches of clearance is a good number for the clearance on a 1 inch shaft with a new bearing if you really want to measure it.

this thread has some good information in it.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2017 at 11:37pm
Google tells me that Arrowhead Lake is only about 45 minutes or so from Pete and about the same to the Home Depot in Rhinelander where he works occasionally.

Tow it to him or get him to come for a visit and he could tell you what he thinks before you go doing things you may not need to do. He'd probably be glad to help you out.

Just promise him a good fast really swervy tube ride with lotsa air this summer

Here's a picture of how he likes it
flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2017 at 8:46pm
Oh, I'd give him a GOOD swervy tube ride, followed by a good 12 pack of beer!! :)

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2017 at 9:08pm
This.is a dial indicator. You afix it to something solid (like the trailer & it will accurately measure small amounts of motion.

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2017 at 10:01pm
yeah, I know what a dial indicator is....but mine doesn't have all those pipes and clamps with it..so I'll have to rig something up to hold it.

skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2017 at 10:25am
That tool will set you back $360 plus shipping...
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2017 at 10:56am
Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

That tool will set you back $360 plus shipping...

Yup plus all the reports I hear, it only works about 30% of the time. You are pressing on the thin wall of the bearing which is brass and .050" thick. If the bearing is tight in the strut, the "blades" of the tool mushroom the brass sticking it real good in the strut and you end up removing the shaft (or strut) to cut the bearing out!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2017 at 4:15pm
Ok, so I'll pass on the tool and will wait until I can get a more experienced SN brother to have a look at it. My current cutlass does not give any from side to side, or up and down. so I think the bearing is good, it just squeaks when I turn the prop.

Frankenotter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2017 at 11:35pm
There's a thread here for a puller that you can make for about $10 worth of parts from Home Depot. I spent a few days trying to cut my old cutlass out with a hack saw and punch. I finally made the puller and it came out in about an hour.
1999 Ski Nautique 196
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2017 at 11:59pm
A few days?! Oh man.

Hack saw, hammer and a flat blade screwdriver... about a 45 min job (including the new bearing install).
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2017 at 12:19am
Chris,
You must have been doing something wrong for it to take that long. How about some details on your struggle with the cutlass.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2017 at 11:12am
It's hard to explain in text but I was cutting with the hacksaw and it was very hard to keep the blade parallel to the strut. What ended up happening is the blade would rock back and fourth and left the middle in tact. Then I came in with a punch to try to fold the bearing enough to get the flat screwdriver under it. That ended up chipping off a section of the bearing about the size of a quarter. At that point I was afraid to cut into the strut so I made the puller with threaded rod and a pipe. 30-45min later it was out.
1999 Ski Nautique 196
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2017 at 11:59am
Chris,
A recip saw (sawsall) Works better. Eric always said he would always cut up so if he did cut into the strut, a cut into the web wouldn't matter.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2017 at 12:07pm
Ah. Yeah it's impossible to cut all the way through the bushing in the center of the strut body without cutting into the strut at the end(s)... the blade is going to deflect *some*. As long as you're careful, cutting into it a little won't hurt anything.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2017 at 8:01pm
I think this is the way to go. No cutting or swearing.

1999 Ski Nautique 196
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic