Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Best way to find source of transmission leak

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
meezar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best way to find source of transmission leak
    Posted: March-21-2017 at 8:34am
Hi,

I am owner of a Ski Tique which runs just fine (normally)
Last season I noticed that the transmission starts to leak resulting in red oil in the bilge as well as a slipping transmission after some skiing session.

The boat is now winterized. What would be the best way to find the leak while the boat is out of the water? Do you think I can find the leak with just the motor running without turning the prop and having load on the transmission? I don't think it is the cooler. From what I can tell it is related to the tranny side of the motor. Once I had some red oil coming out of the motor airing (as far as I can tell). Hopefully it is just one of the oil seals.

Motor is PCM 351, tranny is Warner 71C.

Thank you for any hints

Martin
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2017 at 9:13am
Martin,
It's the slipping that's more concerning than the leak. When you get the slippage, have you checked the fluid level? Low due to the leak? It sounds like a rebuild is needed. A front seal leaking is an indication of a worn pump. Have you tried to locate anyone in the area who can rebuild the trans? When looking, do some research as to the background/history of the shop. We have had members who have had bad luck with so called "transmission experts".

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
meezar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2017 at 6:10pm
8122pbrainard, thank you for your answer. You are right. The slipping is more concerning.

It is indeed that the level is too low after after an hour or two on the lake pulling some weight. That is why it is slipping. If I add oil it tranny directly runs fine.

I also thought about having a rebuild I am located in Germany and "experts" are really hard to find. So that was why I was thinking about checking the seals first. But truly I don't want to ruin the transmission.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2017 at 8:17pm
If you're mechanically inclined, a DIY rebuild is worth a try.

You can buy rebuild kits & also a shop manual.

Seems like there were a few secret rebuild tricks shared by our old tranny expert,   Search the site for tranny rebuild & you will most likely find them.

Good luck
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
meezar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2017 at 11:58am
So I will do a rebuild and hopefully stuff the leak when replacing the seals :)

btw: What would be a good fitting kit? The tranny is a BorgWarner 71C.
I found a kit from Sierra Marine parts# 18-2591. Is it any good?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2017 at 1:36pm
Do a google search look for Duane in Indy. He just did his. If Ken does not beat me I can look for links later for parts. There is a nice YouTube video from the Mastercraft site on how to do it.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2017 at 1:40pm
This paper version of the manual would be a big help.
VELVET DRIVE marine transmission service manual 71C-72C direct and reduction
eBay item number:322526006767

Also very helpful:
This is a picture tutorial that was also a big help.
https://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=53874

I used this kit from   "worldwidepartsoutlet"   $146.00
Velvet Drive Marine 70C 71C 72C 1017 1018 Transmission Master Kit Stage 2

The front input shaft seal in the Alto kit is rubber coated even on the outside diameter and I would highly suggest NOT using that seal. I can provide the alternate part number for that seal that is not rubber coated.

It is not that difficult to rebuild if you are mechanically inclined. You will need a press. Also a special tool kit would be helpful although you can get by without it. If you can't come up with the kit over there then contact me (via PM) as I produce them.
Good luck, Duane

Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
meezar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2017 at 4:33pm
Guys, you rock! How value able that information is.

I am from Germany so getting those parts is a bit difficult. I don't have a press (yet). I am talking to two service partners about my problem and see where this leads. Don't want to spend too much money if the parts are around $150. But hopefully they can seal my tranny again.

I will keep you posted. Thanks for the help!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic