NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Damage boat project

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 10>
Author
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2017 at 5:11pm
I believe those three lines or bars on the heads is very significant. If my memory is correct, that means GT Heads.
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2017 at 5:36pm
I think if you have the GT40 heads then you have the carbed version of the Pro Boss. I believe this was rated at 280HP.

I have also read that the HP difference between the Pro BOss Carb'd(280HP), Pro Boss TBI(300HP) and GT40 (310 HP) is likely just marketing and that the engines will all perform around the same when turned correctly. Not sure how accurate that is but the difference is small and really the condition of the engine will make a bigger difference.
96 Super Sport
Previously: 95 Sport Nautique, 1980 Ski Supreme
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2017 at 5:45pm
Thinking that you better grind the bilge gel coat down to raw glass also. I would take it out towards each side at least 6 inches more. Your patches need to be narrow and building up to wide patches on top. The more width you get the better for strength    JMO Duane.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Mike9812121298 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike9812121298 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2017 at 5:53pm
It was also a efi engine but was taken off. So that would make it 310hp? Any idea what those rectangle blocks are for? I can just remove them?
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2017 at 6:10pm
Mike, that's not a GT40 EFI. That engine was not available until 95. You've got the one many have converted to carb because of lack of availability of replacement parts. It was a Throttle Body injected engine. The GT40 is port injection.
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2017 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by tryathlete tryathlete wrote:

Mike, that's not a GT40 EFI. That engine was not available until 95. You've got the one many have converted to carb because of lack of availability of replacement parts. It was a Throttle Body injected engine. The GT40 is port injection.

Yup, and the TBI I believe was 300HP.
96 Super Sport
Previously: 95 Sport Nautique, 1980 Ski Supreme
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2017 at 7:59pm
Now that you have the rudder port material glued back into place, I recommend grinding a V groove, almost thru the entire thickness of the cracks.    Do one side at a time, so you don't lose position.    Pack the groove with glass, then grind flush after cure.    Then proceed with the overlays.    If you leave the crack it will be a stress riser (weak spot).
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2017 at 12:52am
Originally posted by Mike9812121298 Mike9812121298 wrote:

I got some work done on the hull, I did some more cuting and sanding last night. The strut mount looks pretty solid, the rudder mount I added some glue before I fiberglass to make that connection from when it ripped out of there. Next I'm going to sand down the glue to make it level and flat.

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Mike,
I suggest going deeper into the cracks that are evident on both the inside and outside of the hull. By routing them out farther, you may be able to make sure there isn't any disbonding between the layers of glass.

Mike,
I don't feel you are following recommended procedure with the repair to the hull. As mentioned, you need to grind out the cracks more.

What is the "glue" you refer to? The gray colored stuff you applied? What is it?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2017 at 5:00am
Mike, just a bit of advice from an observer. The need to grind into those cracks isn't really optional. This repair isn't something for inexperienced hobbyists. For the strength of this area to survive the stresses that a tournament ski boat will undergo, the rudder has to be bulletproof in terms of strength or the repair will wind up being a failure and the consequences might even be hazardous to family members and friends.

Filling of the v-ground cracks with a mixture of resin and chopped glass before overlaying of several layers of properly oriented and saturated Fiberglas should do the trick if properly laid in on both sides of the hull.

Just putting lots of resin without glass is not going to return the strength to proper levels. Trust all of us--follow the advice and take the time to do this properly. We want you to be successful!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2017 at 10:59am
I believe the iso-damp material on either side of the damage should be removed also. You then can overlay resin and fiberglass tapering out past the damage. When done it could be replaced making it easier replicating the original look.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2017 at 11:04am
Mike - Sorry for the kibitzing, but just want to help you achieve optimum outcome.

You might want to assemble the rudder port & rudder & check for center before you start glassing (assuming the glue is strong enough to support the weight.) The reason I suggest this is that the length of the rudder will magnify even a small amount of error in the surface of the mount. Easy to fix now, much harder to fix after the glass has cured. Just a thought.

Ben Franklin
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2017 at 12:33pm
http://www.westsystem.com/ss/assets/HowTo-Publications/Fiberglass-Boat-Repair-and-Maintenance.pdf

I'm not a boat builder and am excited about your project enough to keep reading every post on your thread. I've built Fiberglas kayaks and have repaired holes and done a little gel spraying --enough to know I didn't know much. Maybe this link will give you a little direction.

http://www.westsystem.com/ss/assets/HowTo-Publications/Fiberglass-Boat-Repair-and-Maintenance.pdf
flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2017 at 6:45pm
like my grandpa always said....."If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right."
'93 Ski Nautique NWZ, Air Boom Tower
Drink Tonight..for tomorrow We Ride!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2017 at 8:43pm
Mike,
Now that you've had a chance to read our comments and suggestions, we'd love to get some feedback from yourself. That would help us better help you with the project.

Are you getting any guidance from a friend? Also, I'd sure like to know what the grey stuff is you used. Hopefully it's not Marinetex!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
fgroce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fgroce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2017 at 10:09pm
Hi awesome project boat. I do also hope you follow the advice of the guys on the forum. Everyone just wants you to be successful. The cost and labor will not be much more. But if you skimp on the repair and it fails people your boat could sink or worse people could get hurt. Be safe have fun fixing the boat.
FGroce
88 Ski Nautique
For 28 years
Now 2002 Ski Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike9812121298 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2017 at 10:45pm
No I completely understand I don't want to want have to do it a second time. The adhesive was 3m 3532, its pretty strong stuff. I spent a long day out at Westport,wa on a fishing charter, so I'm gonna see what I can get done tonight. I'm gonna grind it down some more tonight. Basically I need to take it down to 1/4 inch thickness of the hull? Then just glass over 2 -4 inches?
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2017 at 11:50pm
I'll wait for others to chime in on the hull repair, but welcome. I live up in Lake Stevens, but get together with Dreaming now and then to share Nautique stories.

I love the way those engines sound! I can't wait for summer.
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2017 at 2:16am
Mike, 3M 3532 is marketed as a semi flexible urethane construction adhesive for bonding materials such as concrete, rubber, wood, glass, and some plastics.. I am no expert, but I believe the semi-flexible property is something you would want to avoid at all cost when reinforcing a high stress area. I question whether the structure will be compromised with a semi-flexible layer, or any layer with unlike properties, between layers of fiberglass.
I have restored several boats prior to my current project. Although they turned out nice cosmetically, I now know that none of them was done to highest standards with the proper materials due to inexperience and lack of knowledge. The most important thing I have learned here is to listen to the experts. There is an unmatched wealth of experience here and they are passionate about their craftsmanship. I have asked more questions than I care to revisit and the experts here have been patient and helpful (with a few head SMHs at my ideas) and have led me to the proper techniques and materials. If you take their advice you will reap the rewards.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike9812121298 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2017 at 4:00am
Alright scratching the adhesive idea and going back to sanding. Had about 45 min to get some work done. Got the pads pealed up. Tomorrow the plan is to take it down some more.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2017 at 7:06am
Mike,
I just looked up 3M's 3532 and agree with what John states. This statement on McMaster's site is the concern "The thickest and most flexible structural adhesives, urethanes bond materials that expand and contract at different rates." Urethanes are fantastic adhesives but wrong for your hull repair. I'm very familiar with them since I was involved with an automation project using the Lord urethane equivalent for bonding metal components. For production, we were purchasing it in 55 gal. drums.

Now, I feel you are heading in the proper direction with taking the hull down more. You want to remove the gel in the bilge until you start to see some glass. You want the new glass to bond to the old glass and not the old bilge gel coat. I also feel strongly that you should grind out the cracks as previously mentioned. I'm still concerned about some lamination disbonding in the damaged area. Also, it's great you removed the iso-damp so you can get the repair over a larger area. Stay with traditional epoxy resins, fillers and glass.

I'm curious as to why you used the 3532. Is it a material you use at work? Did a friend recommend it?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike9812121298 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2017 at 7:53pm

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2017 at 8:10pm
I see you broke thru. Still in kibitzing mode here. Here's an idea - somehow clamp some plywood up to the bottom side of that hole pattern. Maybe use some of that glue temporarily. Transfer the hole pattern to the plywood with 1/8 in. holes.

Then take out the remnant of the damage entirely. Then start the layers from scratch & you can redrill after it is all cured. If you put some plastic sheet over the plywood, the resin won't stick to it. I think a totally virgin patch will be stronger because there are less interfaces.

Ben Franklin
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2017 at 8:21pm
That might be a good idea Chris. He'd have to make plates out of other plastic maybe to recreate the indentations for the underwater gear
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2017 at 8:21pm
Mike,
Thanks for the pictures since they do show the disbonding concern.

Chris's idea is a good one. with bolting a board and plastic on the bottom of the hull to act as a form. Fairing the bottom can be done latter. Prime the area with straight epoxy resin especially where you see the disbonding. Then mix in some filler such as Cabosil or milled glass. Putty knife that into the disbonded layers and any low areas such as where you went through the bottom. From there, you are ready to start laying in glass. Have you looked for glass yet?

BTW, I suggest not using any more of the urethane adhesive.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2017 at 8:33pm
But if he would start laying thin layers of thin new mat,each one being larger than the last, it would end up much like plywood in it's strength. Pete ,Tim or Tim Bob should have some good ideas. Mike check into US Composites for your glass supplies, medium cure epoxy might be best                                                                                                                       
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2017 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

But if he would start laying thin layers of thin new mat, each one being larger than the last, it would end up much like plywood in it's strength.

Correct. That's the suggested plan after the low spots and disbonding are addressed with the prime of straight resin and then the filled resin. I'm not talking about filling the complete area with filled epoxy!!

As far as glass goes, biaxial is my recommendation. Yes on US Composites.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2017 at 9:17pm
I was too slow typing Pete I was referencing Chris,I didn't mean to direct that to you   
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
rolleronariver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolleronariver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2017 at 9:38pm
I'm just here to watch and learn. Projects like this is why I love this forum! I"m learning a ton on here!
92 Sport nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike9812121298 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2017 at 11:06pm

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2017 at 12:20am
Nice going Mike!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 10>
  Share Topic