NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Damage boat project

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 78910>
Author
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2017 at 3:53pm
GT-40 heads are good, but GT-40P's are better. any automotive guys will try and talk you out of the p's because of the conflict between exhaust and plug in a car, but that is not an issue for our exhaust riser arrangement.   the P's are cheaper too if I remember correctly.    I think if you are going with a used truck motor, leave the cam for now and see how you like it.   No reason to swap it out unless you're looking for something more than the stock will give you.
Mike9812121298 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike9812121298 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2017 at 4:15am
well pulled the trigger on the second boat. Paid 2,100 for the boat and trailer. Trailer is garage, so ill be looking for a used one. I took a couple pics before i started to clean it up. Boat has 700 hrs. The tech said the oil was milky so it has a internal crack. Should i check anything or just pull it? I didn't have much time before work to do anything to it.

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2017 at 12:10pm
Crazy how certain parts of the country, Pacific NW for sure, love to drill snaps all over the boats for covers, ughhh
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2017 at 1:31pm
Mike,
Try to find the source of the leak before you toss it. Maybe change oil and run it to see if it's just a bad manifold. Out your way there's lots of salt water and it could be as simple as ruste through manifolds.

Others here who have figured out the way to isolate an internal crack leaking water into oil can weigh in here, as I'm sure there's many tricks to finding the leak path.

That's my 2c
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2017 at 4:47pm
manifolds are the first place I would start as well, both of mine were cracked from the freeze, and that could be the source of your water leak.    FWIW, I agree that you should change the oil and see if you can make it run. then compression test. The registration looks like its a Florida boat, and if I remember correctly, you said that it was a recent transplant to the PNW, so salt is definitely a possibility.    If you were wanting to make only one good boat, the engine from your 97 would be a direct swap, if you were inclined to go that route.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike9812121298 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2017 at 7:07pm
Charging battery right. Now but got a couple cranks out of it. Looks to be the left exhaust manifold is leaking right looks ok. I'm gonna pick up some oil tonight and change it out. By then I should the battery should be charged. Knowing how busy boat shops are this time of year it wouldn't surprise me if they just didn't have the time to really look into it other than pulling the stick
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2017 at 9:10pm
Mike, are you aware that the manifolds are essentially double wall?   The internal vessel is for the exhaust, and the jacket is for water.   if the water jacket is leaking that is likely what you're seeing on the left.   the internal jacket could still be bad, as could the left.    they need to be removed and pressure tested.   There is a thread on this that I did a while ago, you can find it in the FAQ thread.   there are several ways to perform the test, but I believe all of them involve removing the manifold.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike9812121298 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2017 at 4:19am
I started tearing down the engine today, stripped one exhaust manifold bolt, but got the other side off. Found a 2 inch crack in the intake manifold. I will get that taken off tonight and see if I can find anymore. Fingers crossed the problem was just bad manifolds

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike9812121298 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2017 at 7:23am
Got the intake off, everything else seems to look ok. I though that hole in the e sidewall was a issue but after doing some google searches it looks to be normal. Found a intake manifold off Craig's for 80 I might pick up this weekend.

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2017 at 10:59am
Well as long as it is that torn down, pulling the heads & getting them checked for cracks wouldn't be a bad idea. Then you would be certain.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2017 at 12:10am
Pull the motor out of the boat and do it right!!!!
It's so much easier to work on it while on a stand.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike9812121298 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2017 at 12:41am
My guess is the cracked intake manifold leaked water into the lifter valley which put the water in the oil. Plus the exhaust manifold didn't help either. If I find anything other than what I'm doing now I'll be pulling the engine. There's a ton of access working in the boat.

I picked up a i gt40 intake manifold and got the gaskets this afternoon. I need to do a compression test to see the condition of the head gasket
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2017 at 8:49am
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Pull the motor out of the boat and do it right!!!!
It's so much easier to work on it while on a stand.

+1
You are this far, I agree.
Looks like another great deal for you! You may be able to quit your day job!?
Js
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2017 at 2:03pm
Just pulled the motor in my 96 and I had it out and on the ground in 1.5 hours. That included searching and messing with a chain for a while.

8 motor mount bolts
4 shaft coupling bolts
water intake
a few wires, gas line, throttle and trans cable
exhaust
Hardest part is lifting it out. I used my tractor.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike9812121298 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2017 at 1:37am
That's going to be my bigger problem is just lifting it out of the boat. I have a cherry picker but it would reach over the sides. I ordered the exhaust manifold this morning.

I also noticed now that battery is charged the ignition light won't turn on.   Is there a weak link when it comes to corrosion?
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2017 at 10:04am
Check the breaker with a voltmeter.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2017 at 10:09am
Originally posted by Mike9812121298 Mike9812121298 wrote:

That's going to be my bigger problem is just lifting it out of the boat. I have a cherry picker but it would reach over the sides. I ordered the exhaust manifold this morning.

Take the wheels off of the trailer
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2017 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

Take the wheels off of the trailer

ditto... take the wheels off on one side of the trailer, set the hubs on 4x4 blocks.    this will lower the gunnel enough to get the motor block out.    I was able to re set mine using the carb style lift plate and a 2x4.... I have a standard cherry picker as well.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike9812121298 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2017 at 2:24pm
Working on getting the shine back. Started with wet sanding, just picked up some polish wax to hit next

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2017 at 4:18pm
Now is a good time to finish the hull of boat #1 and do minor gel repairs on #2.
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2017 at 6:51pm
You guys are talking to a post.
Unfortunately, this guy has a legacy of ignoring well-informed and good-intended advice.
Another half-assed Nautique.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2017 at 7:00pm
Mike - The shine looks nice!   it was a good weekend for it, since it was good temp and the sun was hiding.    I would suggest that you take the hull ID numbers off since they will be changing to a WN number if you license it in WA.   The ghosting of the gel in that location would likely need the wet sanding treatment as well.   
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2017 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by tryathlete tryathlete wrote:

Now is a good time to finish the hull of boat #1 and do minor gel repairs on #2.

Peter,
I don't think the "buff" job will take Mike long so he can get back to the important fix.. I think I see a container of Poly-glow he's using!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2017 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Peter,
I don't think the "buff" job will take Mike long so he can get back to the important fix.. I think I see a container of Poly-glow he's using!

I feel like instead of helping a nautique owner sometimes we're enabling a flipper, but deep down I still admire Mike for taking some of this stuff on. I really wish he would properly fiberglass that rudder box area and learn how to do finish gel
coatng so he could be a complete boat repair guy. There's so little left to do to Fiberglas that bottom and get that thing finished!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2017 at 7:09pm

I feel like instead of helping a nautique owner sometimes we're enabling a flipper,

Peter,
I sure don't feel we enabled him simply because even though we told him the ripped out strut was fixable, I feel he would have gone ahead even if we told him it wasn't! My concern is for whoever purchases one of his "projects" because he didn't take any of the advice we tried to give him on the "repair".

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike9812121298 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2017 at 1:40am
Started working on the first boat this morning. Chopped up some fiberglass and mixed it with some resin. Sanded all the bondo off. Had to let it dry while at work today but it will soon be done.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2017 at 1:51am
Makes me happy, Mike. Seriously. Thanks for the update.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike9812121298 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2017 at 9:51pm
Didn't want to let anyone on the forum down, I had to get going on it. Yesterday got the expoxy put on , this morning sanded it down. Ran out of time so I'll have to add some more tomorrow. I called the local ski nautique shop they said they had half a quart of gel coat color matched for 100.

fgroce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fgroce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2017 at 10:37pm
Good to see you finishing the boat. I don't care if you are a flipper, more power to you, just make sure you go a good job and ensure the boat is safe, would not want anyone hurt by a repair failing causing an injury or the boat to sink. It is always betting to put extra layer of glass and epoxy on the inside over the repaired areas for extra strength..
FGroce
88 Ski Nautique
For 28 years
Now 2002 Ski Nautique
91nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 91nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2017 at 12:53am

Didn't want to let anyone on the forum down, I had to get going on it.

I would be way more concerned about the integrity of the repair,I'm surprised it lasted a test run...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 78910>
  Share Topic