Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hooked charger up wrong

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
elsphinc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elsphinc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hooked charger up wrong
    Posted: March-31-2017 at 2:30pm
So I blew it in frustration and hooked up charger backwards. Blew something up sounded like where the voltage regulator is. Its a 76 ski nautique. I took it too local boat guy. He converted it over from points to electronic ignition. Charged me way too much sent me on my way boat ran. Took it too Shasta and boat ran but died after a day. Low battery. I replaced battery with good one same thing. Do I start testing with the alternator or the external voltage regulator. Or did I screw up something deeper. I've checked for any other inline fuses but can't seem to find any? Thanks.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2017 at 2:33pm
Perhaps fried the regulator? I wonder why mechanic didn't replace that?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2017 at 2:51pm
First need to find a new mechanic. Have the alternator checked, a Napa or an automotive electrical shop can check it after you have removed it and if thats ok check the regulator if it's external.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2017 at 3:26pm
Glen,
I'd have to say with you hooking up the charger backwards, you blew the full wave diode bridge in the alternator. Do as Gray recommends and have it tested. He also recommends finding a new mechanic. I concur since a conversion from a point set to electronic in a distributor has NOTHING to do with the charging!! He's probably a "back yard mechanic" that doesn't know how to set dwell on a point set distributor! Hopefully the new battery you purchased is not a deep cycle. You want a starting battery for your boat.

Welcome to CCfan. Our standard request is for pictures! A diary entry is always welcomed too.

BTW, I almost missed your post since I don't always get down to "what's new at CCfan" If you can post some pictures of the boat, post them in the general section of the forum.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic