Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Vinegar Flush Help

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
LiquidObsession View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiquidObsession Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vinegar Flush Help
    Posted: April-05-2017 at 11:40am
I've posted this on a couple of other forums however word on the street is that THIS is where the REAL mechanics roam. πŸ˜‰ True story.

My issue? Well last summer I had an overheating problem that plagued me all season.
Last season's threads:
http://www.mbboatown...lp-overheating/

http://www.mbboatown...emp/#entry60382

2004 330hp Excalibur 5.7L

I've narrowed the cause down to the exhaust manifold/risers. I'd like to try doing a full vinegar flush to see if that solves my issues before taking the whole exhaust manifold apart and dealing with that potential chaos. (I'm NOT a mechanic... also not an idiot... but not a mechanic)

Side note: my mechanic cannot figure out the issue either... he's top shelf. Unfortunately he charges top shelf prices as well. $$$ He and I checked/replaced everything up to the exhaust last season so I know there are no issues with wrong/faulty parts up to the exhaust.

My question... cuz I'm crazy paranoid... is how exactly, step by itty bitty step, do I do it? I'll be doing it myself with no help so the more info you guys can lend the better my odds of success. I'd also like to post a detailed thread complete with video/photos after (unless it already exists) for others like myself so they don't need to go through what I'm currently going through at the moment.

so...
-what holes do I open...
-what holes do I close...
-what holes do i pour into...
-particular type of vinegar...
-how much vinegar, how much water...
-fake a lake or no fake a lake...
-what parts do I remove...
-what parts do I replace...
-how long do i do it...
-how will i know if it works...
-warning signs, things to watch out for...
-run engine, don't run engine...
-warn the neighbors of potential stink cloud...
-etc.

These are the questions that keep me up at night.

Please help with advice, wisdom, links, photos, videos, wise cracks/comments etc... I'll take anything cuz my family's happiness this summer depends on it! My boy, only 9yrs old is counting on his father to come through. My teenage daughter is counting on her father to be the "coolest" dad ever. My wife, well, I fear that no boat for the summer may be a deal breaker for her. No pressure, but a warning that I'll be blame shifting onto everyone else but me if I can't get this solved for my wife and kids. Just sayin'.

Thanks in advance.

Dave
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2017 at 11:49am
The links you posted documenting your issues do not work.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2017 at 11:58am
Hey Dave, welcome!!

Before you Massengil that poor engine let's look at a few things:

I read the other threads and we should probably just start over here.
Did you replace the original strainer (hopefully not with the one that was posted)?

Checklist of things to do:
Check impeller condition, if OK leave it in.
Clean strainer screen and be sure you still have the rubber gasket at cup
Tighten every hose clamp, use a 5/16 nut driver not a screw driver
Remove the large brass plugs from the exhaust manifolds and clean out any debris you can

Then report back

Corrected Links:
http://www.mbboatowners.com/index.php/topic/4688-help-overheating/
http://www.mbboatowners.com/index.php/topic/4813-2004-pcm-57l-excalibur-330-mfi-running-temp/#entry60382
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2017 at 11:59am
fixed link #1

fixed link #2

Vinegar flush?   Does that come with fish and chips?
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2017 at 12:06pm
I'm not familiar with that engine but is it possible that he routed the serpentine belt incorrectly? Also, what caused it to get so chewed up in the first place?
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2017 at 12:15pm
Same motor as in my 206, belt routing looks correct, if any doubt there is a little diagram right there on the motor.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2017 at 12:34pm
I read both threads quickly, it sounded like a comedy of errors with several different failure modes happening at different times- giving the appearance that they were related by a common cause... but I suspect you have/had MULTIPLE issues that you were trying to troubleshoot concurrently, leading you down wrong paths. Here are a few things to remember:

-160 stat will have you running a fairly steady 170-180 if all is well.

- an overhead at idle (normal temps at speed) is likely due to an air leak between the rwp and through hull. Hose condition, hose connections, strainer bowl are all things to look at here.

- an overheat at speed (normal temps at idle) is going to be due to lack of flow. Impeller condition, rwp installed/spinning backwards, bad rwp seals, or a blockage in the system will cause this failure mode.

With all the attention given to the cooling system I *think* you moved from one failure mode to the other, i.e., you solved one problem and caused another. Describe for us the exact nature of your overheating situation NOW, ignoring what you saw in the past.

Consider me very skeptical that the exhaust manifolds are to blame.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiquidObsession Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2017 at 1:29pm
Now this is some help! Win! Thank you.
I'm off to work presently but will answer all of these replies later today .
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2017 at 10:19am
How you douching on this
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2017 at 10:32am
I've never heard of using vinegar on a boat, but will it cure a stinky bilge better than Simple Green?
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2017 at 10:41am
Well the idea of cleaning out the manifolds has some merit, maybe only to me because i did just that.

I used 'The works' toilet cleaner. I closed off all ports & sloshed it around, let it work for an hour. The manifold was off the engine, of course (I had them off for valve seal work).. A lot of crud came out when I dumped it.

I don't think doing this with vinegar, while manifold is still on the engine will accomplish much.

If you think the manifolds are clogged, maybe just hook a garden hose up to the raw water port & see if they flow OK.

Edit - Just occurred to me this problem sounds similar to a friend's. He has a 'toon with mercruiser GM V6 not very old. It was overheating.   I got involved because his mechanic gave up on it (PIA to work on)

I took 1 riser off & clean as a whistle inside. I then hooked up garden hose to hose that connects to manifold & back flushed.

Now instead of pegging, it goes a little hot then stettles down. I think sand was /still is in the thermostat housing passages.
β€œBeer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2017 at 11:49am
When inboards and inboard mechanics could be easily found here in south Florida they would give the manifolds and risers a bath in muriatic acid when they would have trouble,In the salt the best they ever lasted was around 7 years anyway. Maybe running some water in them from the front water hose inlet thru to the back with the plug removed would help,but catch the water that comes out and see it there is any sediment coming out. Vinegar IMOH would be a waste of time.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2017 at 6:21pm
Gary, or anyone else here.... has anyone made stainless steel manifolds for saltwater applications? Alternatively has anyone tried metallic barrier coatings for manifolds (the oil patch uses high phosphorus electroless nickel plating for brine applications to prevent corrosion from seawater.)?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2017 at 6:22pm
What about just the risers?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2017 at 6:34pm
There are several Pete,Commander made them, Stainless Marine is another and of course Hi Tek. I am in the process of testing out a pair on my Shamrock    For what they cost I could have bought 3 sets of PCM ones but that would only give me about 15 years of service. So far after 2 years the Hi Teks don't even have a mark on them. A great advantage with them is that they fit exactly the same as the PCM ones. If I had found a set of Commanders my battery tray would have needed to be removed and something to do with them figured out. I would love to have them for the Nautique just for the looks but due to fitment it makes plugs hard to get at.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2017 at 6:38pm
Gary--any issues with hose/manifold crevice corrosion?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2017 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by tryathlete tryathlete wrote:

Gary--any issues with hose/manifold fretting corrosion?

I can say no since it occurs between metal surfaces and the hose is rubber!

The common place for it is at the prop shaft to the trans coupling when the alignment is off. The interference between the two is under load and constantly flexing.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2017 at 7:04pm
Rubber hose and stainless are known to be bad together in terms of corrosion. From an bold "yacht survey" blog

"Neither of us like it when the experts make big mistakes. Like attaching a carbon rubber hose to a stainless riser. Carbon rubber and stainless are like cats and dogs; they do not get along, and the rubber always wins. That rubber will eat the stainless right up, and it will leak like crazy."
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2017 at 8:00pm

Rubber hose and stainless are known to be bad together in terms of corrosion. From an bold "yacht survey" blog

Pete,
You need to remove the word "fretting"! BTW, rubber on 400 series isn't the greatest but on 300, it's fine. Your yacht survey people must be using inferior "muffler" stainless!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2017 at 8:03pm
Nobody would use 400 Series in seawater. Yeah it's not fretting it's intergeanular or something along those linea but I'd have to go back and relearn something useless to figure that out.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2017 at 8:07pm
It's crevice corrosion I was recalling. It's described here;

Maybe better defined here;

https://ir.library.oregonstate.edu/xmlui/bitstream/handle/1957/25077/SGNO78.pdf?sequence=1
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2017 at 10:05pm
You need crack cream
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2017 at 11:15pm
No that stuff is for old people πŸ˜‚
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2017 at 12:48am
Rubber corrodes too - there is a even a spec on it. Gates invented a corrosion resistant hose.back in the 90s. Now hoses pretty much last the life of a car.

From Gates web page:
Molded Coolant Hose
Factory molded to fit specific applications. Similar to OEM specifications. Approved
for marine applications.
β€’ Engineered to resist electrochemical degradation – the leading cause of hose failure
β€œBeer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2017 at 6:33am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

You need crack cream

No that stuff is for old people πŸ˜‚

Careful with the old people reference.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2017 at 9:11am

Gary, Now that is a CLASS ACT!! Very nice.    Duane

Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiquidObsession Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2017 at 11:06am
Another question: replacement exhaust hose... best prices/place/brand to get them?
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2017 at 11:31am
I would highly recommend figuring out what your issue(s) are before you start throwing parts at it. Have you checked some of the items mentioned above yet?

SkiDim and NautiqueParts are 2 sources, at NP use the discount code PND for 10% off
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2017 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by LiquidObsession LiquidObsession wrote:

Another question: replacement exhaust hose... best prices/place/brand to get them?

David, weren't you going to post details of the overheating problem later on? As people have mentioned, it's likely a cooling system issue that can be diagnosed once you explain more about when it overheats.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2017 at 3:46pm
Having read your threads on MB boat owners and Planet Nautique and here on this issue, one thing that jumps right out at me is that somebody named YOU caused the problem unless there's something you haven't mentioned. I think you know that though.

You did routine maintenance replacing a 4 inch long hose between the strainer and trans cooler, replaced the well worn serpentine belt and replaced the impeller.......and then the overheating started

Here's a cut and paste from your post on this issue on 7/31/16 on MB Boat Owners
Hey guys. Please help. I did some routine maintenance yesterday... Replaced the 4" length hose between my raw water filter and tranny cooler... new impeller and new belt. Tested with a fake a lake setup to ensure all was well. Ran it a good 10-15 min with no issues. Took it out on the lake today and BAM... overheated as soon as I opened her up... actually only half throttle. Smoke but couldn't tell where it was coming from exactly. Horrible rubber smell. No visible damage and once it cooled it cranked right up and sounded good. I shut it down quickly after starting. Checked the intake, hose and filter and all is clear of debris. Doesn't appear water is getting in.

I'd be looking at the water pump again, take it off the engine and get a real good look at it. Being a V Drive changing the impeller isn't the easiest job to do in the location it's in
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic