Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bargain Super Sport: A quest to join team red.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2017 at 7:50am
I am looking forward to the full report with lots of photos later today! There's nothing like a shakeout cruise and report!
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2017 at 8:20am
Boat looks awesome. Congratulations
'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2017 at 9:36am
Way to go Paul....nice boat!
bb12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bb12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2017 at 11:56am
What a steal! Beautiful boat!
1989 Ski Nautique 2001
MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2017 at 7:17pm
Nice boat. Congrats.
'92 Sport Nautique
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2017 at 9:13pm
So took the boat out for it's first test drive today. It was a perfect day. Sun was out, water was smooth. Wind was a little cold but that kept the other boats off the lake which meant I could drive it like I stole it. Here are the results.

The good.
- Engine runs well. managed to get it up to 45MPH (GPS) and tach went to 5000rpm.
- Started great first time every time. Oil pressure and temp were great.
- Overall the boat is in great condition. Very few rattles or shakes besides the tower.
- Stereo works, lights work, blower and bilge pump work.
- I really like the layout and storage the Super Sport offers over the Sport.
- I still really liked the way it drove and didn't have any issue with hadling vs how the sport handles.
Got a better look at the trailer once the boat was off it and it looks almost brand new. I am not sure if it has ever seen water.
Oil looked great after ruining the boat for about an hour. No signs of water.

The Bad (thing I know how to deal with)
- Horn doesn't work.
- Lots of rattles from the tower, Looks like it will need some tightening and some of the hardware needs to be replaced.
- 3 or 4 pieces will need new vinyl
- boat needs a new cover. which sucks because they somehow installed snaps for the current cover but it doesn't fit.

The Ugly (things that will need a bit more work to figure out)
- One of the seat bases is cracked pretty bad and is pretty much not usable until it is repaired. . Another has a crack, is still usable but looks like it will need repair sooner rather than later.

- There was a small vibration, that was more noticeable during acceleration. I noticed after taking the boat out the water that the prop was lose on the shaft and I could move if up and back and forth on the shaft. Hoping this is related to the issue. I have a new prop so I will start with replacing the prop on the boat and I will also check the alignment. I have a 644 prop I bought last week, ready to be lapped and installed.

Overall I would say so far so good. For the price, I still feel well ahead I should be able to fix the Vinyl for about $1000 and maybe the same for the cover. and maybe a few hundred bucks for the our part, putting me at still under 13k.
96 Super Sport
Previously: 95 Sport Nautique, 1980 Ski Supreme
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2017 at 9:18pm
Here are some pictures of the boat from toady .
96 Super Sport
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2017 at 9:32pm
And hear are some picks of the cracked seat base. in the second picture the bottom right corner, the piece is completely broken off. Can this be glued back together? what would/should I use.

96 Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2017 at 9:57pm
Paul,
I feel the seat base is the expanded PVC sheet. I would overlay the crack(s) with a 1/8" PVC sheet glued to the original with PVC cement. Use the heavy body cement for PVC pipe over 6" in diameter. The patch may not lay flat on the old base, so will need to run some screws in temporarily to suck the two together.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2017 at 12:06am
The horn-- check the terminals. I bet one came off under the flip up passenger seat. That's how I fixed mine. Yeah that loose prop will certainly cause vibration!!! The 644 should give you a lot more revs and probably a little more speed too.

That tower--not sure if it's going to tighten up but as you said, it's worth it to give it a run and make sure it's tight to the hull and all joints tightened.

I like the pvc repair method recommended. That ought to work.

How nice to have a successful shakeout. Thanks for the detailed pics and show us the seat base repair in case any of us need it down the road. Congratulations on buying a great bargain Super Sport.
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2017 at 12:35am
Nice looking boat! I am surprised the sun deck is so worn considering the looks of the rest of the boat, but I guess that is a large piece of vinyl that gets the most exposure. Cheers to the new ride.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2017 at 1:06am
I just found out mine went 45.3 @ 4900 rpm on it's original water test in 1995 with a 14x18 prop. It now runs 46.2 @ 4700 with a Acme 13x17.5 4 blade. So yours is running right where it should be it seems. My horn quit also last summer,like Pete's the wires had fallen off. When you go to change the cover on the back pad check the tightness of the bracket that holds the lift cylinder to it. Maybe even remove it and reattach with locktight or use nylon stop nuts. Mine is loose and I don't want to remove the upholstery just to tighten it You got a great deal I'm really surprised that it was still available. You were supposed to get it!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2017 at 9:00am
I think the vinyl issue is so bad due to sunscreen being used applied on the sun deck.
96 Super Sport
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2017 at 9:57am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Paul,
I feel the seat base is the expanded PVC sheet. I would overlay the crack(s) with a 1/8" PVC sheet glued to the original with PVC cement. Use the heavy body cement for PVC pipe over 6" in diameter. The patch may not lay flat on the old base, so will need to run some screws in temporarily to suck the two together.

Thanks for the advice Pete.,

Not sure is it's clear in the pic but the PVC is about an inch think. Do you think I should use the PVC cement to glue the cracked pieces together before adding the 1/8 " piece?

Also if I wanted to try refabricate the base. How would I go about creating the bend in the base?
96 Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2017 at 10:07am
Paul,
Gluing the busted pieces together won't hurt but they may not fit together tight enough to get a good bond. I do suggest still using the 1/8".

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2017 at 10:48am
It looks like you got an amazing deal on that boat, when you can drop it in the water and run it hard right away you know you've done well. Good luck with it!
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2017 at 9:24pm
I know a guy with a newer V-Drive Sport Nautique this repaired his seat that was bent with some Star Board. Star Board is High Density Polyethylene (HDP) and can be found in all kinds of sizes and thickness on E-Bay. West Marine sells some 24" x 24", but they are more expensive than E-Bay. This stuff is heavy so do not got as thick and you might think you need.

He removed the old skin and then used a staple gun to put the old skin on the new Star Board. The used the old bent piece to get his measurements.

FYI,

Donald
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2017 at 9:44pm
I would think you will get a bit more speed at slightly lower RPMs with a new prop, properly installed.

As to the cover, not sure where the fit is off. But, if it is a Canvas Cover, you may want to get it wet in the hot sun, and stretch it. Neighbors was off by probably 4 inches. We were able to stretch till it fit. Once on, if you can leave it in place for a couple of weeks, it is helpful.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2017 at 10:15pm
No, there's no stretching THAT cover. It appears as though they bought a cover for a SS with a factory FCT (leg spacing). Then screwed in the snaps to "make it work".

It was under cover in a lift year-round, so they just needed to keep the birds and the mud daubers out if it. What I would do, is take it to a boat upholstery place (that does clear curtains for cabin cruisers) have them lay out a new cover and place the snaps where they are currently located - NO MORE HOLES!

BTW - nice boat!
s_kelley2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s_kelley2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2017 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

When you go to change the cover on the back pad check the tightness of the bracket that holds the lift cylinder to it. Maybe even remove it and reattach with locktight or use nylon stop nuts. Mine is loose and I don't want to remove the upholstery just to tighten it

This is great advice. You should also do the same with the hinges as I have seen a few posts over the years from people asking how to tighten those up. I went the locktight route when I had my sun pad redone 5 years ago and everything is still solid.

Good luck with everything! Seems like you got a great deal!
1999 Python Super Sport
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2017 at 10:38am
One more thing that came with the boat that I had not posted yet.

An immaculate Original Owners manual. Always a good sign. It also includes the receipt of any add-ons purchased (tower, board racks, stereo etc).

96 Super Sport
MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2017 at 12:26pm
I agree, that is always nice to see.
'92 Sport Nautique
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2017 at 12:57pm
This week I have done a little purchasing online. Picked up some small maintenance items.

- New rub rail insert went with the red McMaster Carr option as Integrity Marine has a $100 minimum on Orders.
- New shaft packing as the shaft was dripping a little fast 10 to 15 drips a minute. I'll try tightening it first but if that doesnt work I have the packing to install.
- New water strainer Screen
- New shift knob.

Hoping to get a chance this weekend to work on installing the new prop and seeing if that gets my RPM down and eliminates the vibration.

I have also booked an appointment with the local upholstery guy to work on the cover and some of the broken seats. He is pretty booked up so earliest he can work on the boat is mid may.
96 Super Sport
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2017 at 2:00pm

Paul,
Gluing the busted pieces together won't hurt but they may not fit together tight enough to get a good bond. I do suggest still using the 1/8".

The pieces do still fit together pretty tight. My plan here is to glue them together to get the basic shape back then add the 1\8" overlay.

My question is will pvc cement be the best option for gluing the pieces back together??
96 Super Sport
kylem428 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kylem428 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2017 at 3:03pm
Having been in your shoes 5 months ago with my "new" super Sport, I would strongly encourage you to build a new seat base out of Star Board or HDPE plastic. Use the original as a template and cut a new shape with a jigsaw. Sand the corners and round off the edges, drill drain holes, then heat the bend area with a gun or torch to bend in to shape. I'd cut a slight relief in the bottom at the bend with the table saw if I were to do it again. Bending was the longest part of the process. I have about 2 hours in the new base. Those rear bench corner cushions take a beating. Mine was shattered in to about 5 pieces from what I expect was a constant entry point in to the boat and people stepping on the cushion. You may be able to glue it back together and it may hold for a little while, but when it breaks again you will need to pull the skin, backing,foam, hidem, etc all off again to start over. I tell people not to step on cushions but it happens and it only takes one person to do it and that expanded pvc will blow apart again.

Just my .02

Kyle
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2017 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by Blamey Blamey wrote:

- New rub rail insert went with the red McMaster Carr option as Integrity Marine has a $100 minimum on Orders.

Do what you want but if I were you I would test fit the the McMaster pipe before you remove all of the original. It did not fit as tight in my rubrail and being a softer more pliable plastic I was worried that it would have a tendency to catch and roll out of the groove. I ended up not using it.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2017 at 6:49pm

Paul,

The pieces do still fit together pretty tight. My plan here is to glue them together to get the basic shape back then add the 1\8" overlay.

My question is will pvc cement be the best option for gluing the pieces back together??

Paul,
I suggested the PVC pipe cement (heavy body) since it's a solvent cement. Solvent cements actually dissolve the surface of the plastic so in theory when the solvent flashes off the two pieces become one piece.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2017 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Do what you want but if I were you I would test fit the the McMaster pipe before you remove all of the original. It did not fit as tight in my rubrail and being a softer more pliable plastic I was worried that it would have a tendency to catch and roll out of the groove. I ended up not using it.

I've already put it in my Sport and was happy with it. I agree it's a bit soft but at least it goes in easily.it would sometimes come out a bit when rubbing on the trailer bow stop bit would push back it just fine.
96 Super Sport
a.klos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a.klos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2017 at 1:38am
I went to work on my 2002 SS on Tuesday and here it was a 96 SS on the same parking lot! Congrats on the boat! Hopefully, I will be working on ballast this weekend so I might see you.
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2017 at 10:39am
Originally posted by a.klos a.klos wrote:

I went to work on my 2002 SS on Tuesday and here it was a 96 SS on the same parking lot! Congrats on the boat! Hopefully, I will be working on ballast this weekend so I might see you.

I know your boat well. I Always check it out when driving out after parking mine. It is a real nice super sport.

Where did you get your cover? I plan to copy it for my boat. Have you had any issues with it?

Good to know your on CCF. I was checking out your trailer last week to size up the tires and turnbuckle I needed for my boat.
96 Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic