Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bargain Super Sport: A quest to join team red.

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
Author
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bargain Super Sport: A quest to join team red.
    Posted: April-05-2017 at 3:11pm
Some of you who were following along in the 'Recommendation for boat' thread but I am in the process of buying a 1996 Super Sport that was originally posted in that thread. The boat is listed for just over 10K, which if you follow Super Sport prices is about 4k to 6k less then what they usually go for.

Here is a pic (Team Red Yay)

I thought I'd create a post to document my purchase and see if this boat turns out to be the deal it appears to be and hopefully get some advice along the way. This will be my second Nautique. I currently own a 1995 Sport which I bought 18 months ago. I have been wanting to switch to a super sport as I mostly wakeboard and feel the layout and storage of a Super Sport would be better for the family.

So after the original post of the Ad on Sunday (thanks Jonas) I called the Marina that had it listed but they were closed Sunday and again on Monday. I called back on Tuesday morning and inquired about the boat. The boat was a trade in but the boat had been on the lake for several years and was known to the marina manager who said it was kept on a lift during the season. I asked for a compression check, which they were happy to do and it cam back with all cylinders in the mid to high 120's. Happy with the pictures, details from the marina manager and compression check I put a deposit on the boat.

I currently live in Westchester New York and the boat is down in Virginia about a $500 mile trip. As luck would have it I have a business trip planned in DC on Wednesday and Thursday next week, So I'll drive down for that and then head to Virginia Thursday afternoon to pickup the boat and drive to my home lake Friday.

So that is the start of the the story. I'll document it as I go and as I work to get the boat back to tip top shape.

I plan to keep my old Sport Nautique until I have ironed out any issues with the Super Sport.

Any advice for the trip and purchase is welcomed.

My first question is what do most of you do about trailer licenses in this situation?
96 Super Sport
Previously: 95 Sport Nautique, 1980 Ski Supreme
jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2017 at 3:26pm
I would think that a proper "Bill of Sale" for the boat and the trailer. Along with signed titles for the boat and trailer (not sure is Virginia titles boats, but most likely trailers) would get you back home.
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2017 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by jimsport93 jimsport93 wrote:

I would think that a proper "Bill of Sale" for the boat and the trailer. Along with signed titles for the boat and trailer (not sure is Virginia titles boats, but most likely trailers) would get you back home.

I called the marina after making the post and they said they can provide a temp 5 day permit, which will get em home.
96 Super Sport
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2017 at 3:35pm
I have asked the Marina to service the trailer before the trip.

I was thinking of picking up a spare tire for the trip, anybody know what size I need for that age Ramlin?
96 Super Sport
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2017 at 3:45pm
Hey- I recognize that lot. Is that Conrad Brothers? Those are my peeps! You want me to look it over!?

If it is Conrad Bros at SML - then you are 4+ hrs from DC. Va has boat and trailer titles... which is good for you. Boats and trailers w/o titles can be very difficult in states that care. Owners Mike/Ruth (SML) and Dean/Carol (Claytor) are terrific. Tell them to get the trailer ready and it will be ready.   I can look things over as well. These guys sold Inboards back in the day, but the only ones you'll see there now are my Nautiques. VERY trustworthy folks! Congrats!
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2017 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by Air206 Air206 wrote:

Hey- I recognize that lot. Is that Conrad Brothers? Those are my peeps! You want me to look it over!?

Yes and yes.

It is at Conrad brothers and if you have the time to put some eyes on the boat (or even a test drive), that would be amazing. The Marina seems pretty straight up and said that the boat was running as it was driven over to them last week and were pretty open about an issues that were aware. I'd like to keep my turn around time as short as possible so if someone is able to help with that, that would be great.
96 Super Sport
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2017 at 4:00pm
Is that trailer 5 or 6 lug? If 5 perhaps the wheel/tires from your sport trailer could be brought along for spares.
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2017 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by Air206 Air206 wrote:

These guys sold Inboards back in the day, but the only ones you'll see there now are my Nautiques. VERY trustworthy folks! Congrats!

Yeah, they told me they sold Nautiques until around 92 or 93.
96 Super Sport
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2017 at 4:10pm
Well, they sold Mastercrafts before, during and a ways after that. They have helped me with my Nautiques since we ordered our first Nautique from Correct Craft in 91 - a 92 Excel from them at Claytor Lake. Terrific folks - the ONLY - ones to deal with at SML IMHO. PM me your # .

BTW - this is NOT a marina. They are not on the water at SML (they are at Claytor Lake). They have water access at SML - 15 minutes down the road, FWIW.
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2017 at 4:12pm
Nice start to the thread. Just check every switch and moving part and make sure the stuff that isn't supposed to move stays put. If it starts and runs, just check oil pressure and make sure it's charging. Vdrive oil (40w) and tranny fluid (atf) shoul be their usual colors and clear.

Compression check--was a good idea. How many hours are on the engine?
Check for vibration and inspect the running gear for anything they looks to have been repaired, and make sure everything is straight.

Water test; tracks straight, steering not too tight or loose on center....you know this drill by now.
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2017 at 4:32pm
It's a 20-year-old boat..... it's gonna need stuff. The question is how much and what cost. Just start a checklist................all can be managed (that's what we do here) but being stranded roadside is NOT acceptable! Been there, done that!   
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2017 at 5:07pm
What v drive is in the 96's Pete? Mine is a Walters and uses 20w non detergent.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2017 at 5:11pm
Oops. Yup it's 20W. Yeah it's one of those goofy Walters.
kylem428 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kylem428 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2017 at 10:50pm
Congrats on the find and excellent respect shown by the members on this site! I am presently in your boat with both a sport (94) and a super sport (95). I'd like to get them side by side on the water but the ice isn't gone yet so I don't know if it will happen before the sport sells.

Kyle
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2017 at 10:23pm
Thanks to Steve (Air206) who went to check out the boat today and all looks good. Only major issues are the sun pad and bow bottom need to be replaced. Trailer and gel look both look good.

I'll need a turn buckle for the trip, I found one in the basement but don't know if it's the one I got for my trailer from Nautique Parts. Does anyone have measurements of know how I can tell what the specs of the turnbuckle could be?

96 Super Sport
Mike9812121298 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike9812121298 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2017 at 10:47pm
nice looking boat, i hope everything turns out for you! keep the updates comming
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2017 at 11:15pm
Maybe just to get it home you could use a shackle and put that in on the trailer end where the turnbuckle normally goes and then use a length of chain and a hook to connect up to the bow ring. That way if you need to adjust more than your turnbuckle can handle it can be easily done and not interrupt your trip. You can then work on the turnbuckle setup at your leisure at home,something to think about ...
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2017 at 9:17am
Steve to the rescue! That's what this group is all about! Good luck with it!
Js
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2017 at 10:57am
As hearby elected Captain of Team Red your quest to be admitted to this respected, iconic, and sought after group will hereby be granted once you take possession of the boat AND you post more pictures of the boat so we all can see whatchagot. Submission pending......... Good luck with her and getting her safely home. Steve......you rock man! No better boat buds than CCFans!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2017 at 11:41am
It has 1/3 turnbuckle present and its mounting position is intact. Since they are prepping the trailer for you, I would ask Mike to check at Capps Building supply (next door) to see if they have the remainder (or if you have the remainder - go for it). I would go with Gary's idea of chain and shackles to get it home. It would be awful to launch and retrieve that way but you ain't gonna! BTW, you might want to make sure the tower is TIGHT and the speakers are managed (collapsable tower and speakers are wired external to the tower). That upper area looked too loose for 60+ mph plus the wind.

Paul - note flip up tongue and NO rust! Yay

Click For Full-Size Image.
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2017 at 11:51am
BTW - Go Team Red!

First day out 2017 for the 91 BFN

The 1966 Al Tyll Skier coming home.

Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2017 at 12:35pm
is that the Al Tyll?
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2017 at 8:42pm
I was able to confirm I have the correct turn buckle. I went out to the lake today to get some trailer straps out of my sport and there is a 2002 Super Sport there on a Ramlin Trailer. I confirmed they were using the same size turnbuckle.

Here are some pics that Steve sent me yesterday.

96 Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2017 at 9:00pm
Looking good. What ever you do don't remove the Nautique Super Sport side decals,they cannot be found at the moment.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
rolleronariver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolleronariver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2017 at 9:29pm
That's a great looking boat for that price!!! I wish I could get my hands on a v-drive for that cheap in that kind of shape!
92 Sport nautique
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2017 at 12:24am
Nice vinyl seat bases. Looks like you just need the big engine cover and front playpen--same pieces I needed. I got them both done with some too quality vinyl and matching colors locally with new foam for right at $600.

Next: see how it drives and steers and all that goes with the water test!
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2017 at 10:49am
Hard to tell, but looks like the transom plug is currently out to let water drain from the boat. Just put one back in before putting in the lake. You will be excited to launch when you get home and could forget.

As far as joining Team Red goes, Tim M. failed to speak about the Majestic Ritual and Hazing event to join. Lucky for me, I like goats. They are not so baddddddddd.
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2017 at 10:50am
Originally posted by Swatkinz Swatkinz wrote:

is that the Al Tyll?

Steve W.

Yes it is and it is Buick Powered.

Donald
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2017 at 1:54am
I picked the boat up today and after many hours of driving I am back home in Westchester NY. I left DC around 6:30 this morning, made it down to Smith Mountain Lake around midday. spent about 2 hours at the marina getting everything sorted and drove home and just got in at 11:30. It's been a long day and I am off to bed. I'll write a longer update tomorrow after I have taken the boat out for a ride. In the mean time here are a couple pics.

Big thanks to Steve(Air206) who made the whole process much easier.

96 Super Sport
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2017 at 7:17am
She looks great! Good luck, it will be a great summer!!
Js
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
  Share Topic