NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Battery for 1997 SNOB

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
escmanaze View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote escmanaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battery for 1997 SNOB
    Posted: April-06-2017 at 2:40pm
Hi Everybody,
I bought my 1997 Ski Nautique Open Bow about 4 years ago and the seller had just replaced the battery. However, he replaced it with a group 24 battery that is too tall, so for 4 years I have put up with the little cover thing not actually going back in place because the group 24 battery is too tall.

Well the battery is dead now, so I need to replace it. I want to get as much battery power as possible because I do like to listen to music when I'm hanging out at the dock, but priority #1 is that the stinking battery fits correctly in the compartment and lets the lid go all the way back on correctly.

Do any of you have a good recommendation for the biggest baddest battery that can possibly fit into this small compartment where a group 24 won't fit?

Thanks

Scott
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2017 at 2:46pm
Assuming the batt box on the SNOB is the same size as all the closed bow batt boxes I am familiar with (79-09), Group 65 is what you want.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2017 at 2:47pm
It might even say so in the manual...
escmanaze View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote escmanaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2017 at 3:49pm
Hi Guys,
Thanks for the group 65 recommendation. I was worried about group 65 because it is wider and longer than the current 24 I have in there, but my 24 definitely leaves some room too.

So initially, I was looking at group 34, as it is the same width and length as the 24, just a bit shorter (maybe not short enough though if you are saying that the manual says to use a 65) so I called my local insterstate batteries distributor to talk.

She said group 34 doesn't have a standard "marine" battery, 24 is the smallest that does. She said in 34 my options would be a normal automotive batter, or an Optima (I would want the blue top right?) for more money, but better battery she says, or an AGM for even more money, but even better battery, she says.

Then I ask her about group 65 and she says the selection is even more limited and some of the 65s are just 34s with adapter plates.

So if you had the choice, standard automotive, Optima (blue top only available in group 34, only the yellow top is available in group 65) or AGM, what would you think?
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2017 at 3:49pm
Been using Optima Blue tops in mine for the past 10+ years, use the dual purpose version so starting and playing music both covered, they are group size 34 so 7.9"H, about 3/8" taller then a group 65, fits in my tray no problem. They have worked fine but are a little pricey and I get about the same life as I have gotten from conventional batteries.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2017 at 3:58pm
You do NOT want a marine battery. These are for outboards and trolling motors.

Regular automotive is appropriate for starting a V8 inboard engine.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2017 at 6:58pm
Easy there Timmer.

Some "marine" batteries are normal car [starting] batteries with studs and top posts.

You do not want a strictly DEEP CYCLE battery. Those are for trolling motors.

Why do you state an outboard desires a deep cycle?
escmanaze View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote escmanaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2017 at 1:40am
Well Apparently I'm an idiot. I went and bought a new battery, got it home and THEN finally glanced at the underside of the battery cover and saw this note:

I had already purchased a group 65. Oh well. So I tried putting the 65 in there and it fit very nicely. It may be a touch taller than optimal, but even that, I'm not so sure about. The 65 works great, and the places I talked to seemed to be really lacking on selection of 41 and 48. Their selection of options for group 65 was way better than the one or two options that they could special order me, but didn't have in stock, for the 41 and 48.
Skeeter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skeeter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2017 at 8:12am
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2017 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Easy there Timmer.

Why do you state an outboard desires a deep cycle?

I suspect its just implied, that its less consequential; the typical bubba bass buggy can reliably start an outboard with a deep, and be oblivious to the difference.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2017 at 1:01pm
Correct^^^. I do not believe I have ever seen a typical battery listed as "marine" and NOT be a deep cycle. Some of the high end AGM batteries are correctly listed as "dual purpose", obviously a different animal. Next time, check the shelf at your local auto parts or home goods store.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2017 at 1:10pm

There are plenty of non deep cycle /non dual purpose batteries out there labeled as marine. Usually they are labeled marine starting. Buy one at a marina and you are likely to pay 200+ for it- you will get the wing nut studs and maybe some more rigid internal plate mounting.   I find in general besides being overpriced they tend to not last as long as a quality automotive battery.    
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2017 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Correct^^^. I do not believe I have ever seen a typical battery listed as "marine" and NOT be a deep cycle. Some of the high end AGM batteries are correctly listed as "dual purpose", obviously a different animal. Next time, check the shelf at your local auto parts or home goods store.

marine starting battery

Now you can say you've seen one Tim. You don't seem to find them in many sizes though,

Somebody will pick on the 1 year warranty, but I'm 5 years past the end of the warranty on one that starts my truck every day in much worse conditions than any boats on this website have to operate in.

I think like Joe said you get the marine terminals and the rest is probably the same as an automotive battery, price is decent probably because you're not paying for a lot longer warranty period.

And if you know some not very secret discount codes you can get it for around $ 62.00 if you're cheap like me
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2017 at 3:57pm
Yeah, we sold multiple brands and sizes of marine starting batteries at N3

I've had great luck with automotive batteries in boats as well. Just a decent quality good CCA battery will get the job done fine.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2017 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

I think like Joe said you get the marine terminals and the rest is probably the same as an automotive battery, price is decent probably because you're not paying for a lot longer warranty period.

And if you know some not very secret discount codes you can get it for around $ 62.00 if you're cheap like me

The addition of the threaded studs is my understanding too of what a marine battery is. Tim, you must not be looking very hard. I was just in our little Napa the other day and they had lots of marine starting as well as marine dual purpose and marine deeps.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2017 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

The addition of the threaded studs is my understanding too of what a marine battery is. Tim, you must not be looking very hard. I was just in our little Napa the other day and they had lots of marine starting as well as marine dual purpose and marine deeps.

I think you were spotted going into "the Zone" on your lunch break the other day Pete.

You're slipping Pete, I left myself wide open to get picked on for using a battery from Advance Auto and.........nothing from you.

Are you feelin' OK ?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2017 at 5:21pm
Ken,
Notice I did mention Napa! Even though Autozone is a direct neighbor of the HD, I rarely go in. I did stop a couple months ago looking for some 3M fine line masking tape. All they had was some cheezy "solvent resistant" paper tape. I walked out!! I've been tempted to go in and ask for a RR distributor and see what they have to say. I have a feeling I already know the answer! BTW, At least Advance Auto is a step above Autozone!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2017 at 7:06pm
I get my Nu-Finish at Autozone!
winniskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote winniskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2017 at 7:09am

Assuming the batt box on the SNOB is the same size as all the closed bow batt boxes I am familiar with (79-09), Group 65 is what you want.

The sticker says use a Group 48 or 41, which is the only guidance that I can find from CC. Common wisdom is to use a Group 65. As far as I can tell, the difference in the Groups is the size and position of the terminals, and all these Groups would work in a closed bow. Is there anything more to consider regarding Groups?
Jim
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2017 at 8:06am
Last week when I went to get the Tique running, I did find the Optima red top that came with the boat finally died. It was 12 years old so I sure can't complain about how long it lasted. I went to Napa (no Ken, I didn't go to the "zone"!! ) and did get a group 34 since it's the same size as the Optima as CQ mentioned.
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Been using Optima Blue tops , they are group size 34 so 7.9"H, about 3/8" taller then a group 65, fits in my tray no problem. .

The 34 being 3/8" taller than a 65 , is tight but fits. BTW, it's not a deep!! Wow, the cost of lead has gone up!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2017 at 11:11pm
I run a group 34 but beware if buying a 34, it is available in both Positive on Right or Positive on Left. Make sure you know where your positive is and buy the correct battery for your boat.
My 1995 SN battery box is plenty deep to fit the group 34 with no space issue. It could be 1 inch longer and still fit fine. Height is a little close but my cover fits fine without touching.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2017 at 12:35am
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Been using Optima Blue tops in mine for the past 10+ years, use the dual purpose version so starting and playing music both covered, they are group size 34 so 7.9"H, about 3/8" taller then a group 65, fits in my tray no problem. They have worked fine but are a little pricey and I get about the same life as I have gotten from conventional batteries.

+1 for Optima Blue Top batteries. That's what I currently run in the SNOB.

I did have an Optima Yellow Top for a several years. Optima says it has "deep cycle and cranking power". It worked well for me.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic