Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1981 SKi Nautique Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 5>
Author
Wisky Badger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wisky Badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2017 at 9:32pm
Here is a quick update.   

The plumbing is now complete.   We used schedule 40 gray electrical conduit for the air hoses and the steering and electrical pipe.   We were able to use a conduit oven to heat up the air pipes so they were pliable and we could form them to where we wanted them with out any fittings.   We had to use a 60 degree fitting for the steering and electrical pipe because we couldn't make the bend with causing a kink in the pipe.

[

I should have included a picture of what it look like before we started pouring the foam but I forgot to take one.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wisky Badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2017 at 9:40pm
I was also able to get the front floor section installed along with all of the floor foam and the air box. I decided to keep the front floor section set back a little way from the hull and fill the void with foam.   

[

The next step will be to do some touch up work on the foam and fair the surface.

Just in case you are wondering I did not install wooden ribs between the secondary stringers and the hull.   What you see is a piece of pink closed cell foam that was cut to form a rib in order to help level the top of the pour foam.   
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2017 at 10:40pm
lookin' great.

you guys impress me with all this effort.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wisky Badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2017 at 11:29pm
So my driver's seat base needs to be repaired, which should not be a big deal.

The way the seat base was molded it looks like it should have a piece of wood recessed into it and then mounted to the floor.   Can anyone tell me if this is the case.

[

[

I was thinking of fiberglassing another wood pad to the main deck where the driver seat goes so that when I screw it down the screws won't penetrate the main deck. It would increase the seat height a very small amount.   Has anyone done this and do you see any problems with that idea.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2017 at 11:12am
I wouldn't do that. Just install it as the factory did, but take care to seal the screws while installing. 4200/5200 will do it.

Your pedestal is not missing any pieces. If the wood glasses in as backers for the seat are mush, cut them out and replace.
Jay SE IN. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay SE IN. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2017 at 12:20pm
Wow! Nice work. Impressive! Thanks for sharing.
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2017 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by Wisky Badger Wisky Badger wrote:

Pete,

Previous owner's name was not Egan.   

Jacob....Very nice work! You will have a great classic that will last many years when you are done.

Where in Wisconsin are you? I had a customer that had a brown '81 SN that I believe he recently sold. Was the previous owners name Hubertz?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wisky Badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2017 at 11:18pm
The floor and air box are now finished.   I ended up laying down 3 layers of 1708 to get the thickness I was looking for.   I have also started fairing the bilge.   I have the first coat down and have it sanded.   Hopefully I will finish up the fairing this week.

[

[

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wisky Badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2017 at 11:25pm
David,

Thanks for the encouragement. I am located in South Central Wisconsin. I am pretty sure that was not the previous owners name.   I will have to pull the old registration card to check.   The boat was purchased about a year ago and we didn't really start digging into the project until March 2017.   
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2017 at 12:21am
I'm always impressed with these full scale projects. Admirable work for sure.
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wisky Badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2017 at 8:20pm
I finished painting the bilge this weekend.   The 81 received 2 coats of Total Boat Epoxy Bilge Paint.   Two coats gave really good coverage and I am happy how it turned out.

[

[

[

It feels good to reach this milestone and I can now start on the outside of the boat.   I plan to start wetsanding this week.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2017 at 10:24pm
Looks awesome. After all that the sanding should seem easy!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2017 at 7:00am
Jacob,
It's sure looking great!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jeromezz430 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeromezz430 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2017 at 8:32am
Great Job Wisky Badger
FredWSauer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FredWSauer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2017 at 3:59pm
Wow! That is an awesome job. Thanks for the detail and pictures. - Fred
- FWS
1993 Ski Nautique
1978 Glastron T-160
1994 Weeres Pontoon - Wife's Boat
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2017 at 10:25pm
Awesome work! keep posting. I used to hate the brown, but over the years it has grown on me to the point that I would keep it.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2017 at 10:54pm
Coming along nicely
'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wisky Badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2017 at 8:02pm
This is how the boat looked at this time last year.

[

This is how it looks a year later.   

[

[

[

[

I have started to wet sand the hull with using 600, 800, 1000 wet sandpaper.   I will follow that up with 3M Perfect-Itâ„¢ Gelcoat Heavy Cutting Compound, 3M Finesse it II and then 3M Perfect-It wax.   

The transom is done.   I started there to test the system and see the results I could get.   The gel coat came back very nice and has a nice luster.   Hope fully the last picture will show the results.   I think it will look a lot better once the colors are painted back on. There is still enough ghosting from the old paint that I should be able to tape off the old design.   

I will post some more pictures once the whole boat is complete.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2017 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by Wisky Badger Wisky Badger wrote:

There is still enough ghosting from the old paint that I should be able to tape off the old design.

Have you checked the reference section? Look under "misc." for hull graphics files.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Jay SE IN. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay SE IN. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2017 at 8:44pm
wow. Nice! A blank canvas..........
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2017 at 8:58pm
Skip the 3m wax . I like the 3m products but get yourself some Collinite #925 wax, or if you already have the 3m stuff, do half and half. The Collinite stuff is increadable.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2017 at 11:13pm
Since its fresh and clean finish with Collinite 885
drmoreau View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drmoreau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2017 at 12:29pm
I am starting the very same restoration on my newly purchased 1981 Ski Nautique. Would love some information on the stringers with possibly dimensions. My stringers are so bad that I am not even sure I can salvage enough for a template. Thank you in advance for any help.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wisky Badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2017 at 8:12pm
Take a bunch of measurements of what you have before you start cutting them out!!!

Also take a lot of photos that you can reference before you start removing them.   

I do have some blue prints I made for mine on graph paper.   They are not the best but they might help you as reference material. If I can find them I will be happy to share them with you. Send my your email in a PM and I will send them to you as a PDF.     

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2017 at 9:01pm
If he does not see this PM Quinner,I think he has a file on some sort of stringers
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wisky Badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2018 at 6:40pm
I dropped the seats and the doghouse off at the upholstery shop a few days ago.   This is the last time we will see the mismatched brown seats.

[]
MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2018 at 9:23pm
What is the status on the rest of the boat? It has been a while since your last update.
'92 Sport Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wisky Badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2018 at 11:48pm
Dropping the seats off at the upholster was the first thing I have done to the boat since it was was wet sanded and buffed last fall.    I got busy with hunting seasons last fall and downhill skiing this winter so the boat project was put on the back burner until now.   Hopefully I will be posting a lot of updates in the next few months.   The goal is for the boat to be complete by Memorial Day which is when boating season really starts for me in Wisconsin.   

I am working on some ideas for the speedos tonight and hopefully will have an update tomorrow.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wisky Badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2018 at 1:34am
I wanted to find an alternative to restoring the old air guides because I am not a fan of the additional holes in the transom needed for the tubes. I decided to go with Faria GPS units and was able to make them fit in the airguide housing in an attempt to try and maintain somewhat of an original look. If I find time I will post of video of how they fit in the old airguide housing if anyone is interested. If this doesn't work or if someone in the future wants it to be original I will still be able to use the airguides.    

[

[

I still need to remove the other gauges and finishing buffing the dash but I think it will look good once everything is cleaned up.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2018 at 9:35am
Jacob,
Nice work on the speedos! I like it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 5>
  Share Topic