NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1981 SKi Nautique Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345>
Author
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2018 at 5:07pm
What??
And miss out on jumping in with a safety pin to unclog the pitots?

Seriously, they look brilliant!
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
Wisky Badger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wisky Badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2018 at 10:54pm
For those of you that have repainted your stripes can you please help me out with a few questions? Does the gelcoat needed to be sanded where the stripes are before before I repaint them in ordet to get proper adhesion and do I need to use primer? If I do need to sand again what grit should I be using. I am planning on using Pettit ez proxy for the paint.    I have all ready wet sanded and buffed the whole boat.

I thought I saw a thread last year with one of the orange promos being restored and it looked they they where just painting over a very clean gel coat.   Thanks for the help.
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2018 at 1:46am
If you buffed the gel smooth then yes, sand where you are going to paint. I would tape then sand. Otherwise it will be tough to get your gel shiny right next to the paint. I’d go with 400 and see how that works in a test spot. Seems to have been enough for us but we haven’t put it to the test. You only have one color so sanding in between coats isn’t as important but the paint mfg say to lightly sand between coats. At the end, sand with 1500 or even 2000 and polish lightly. Then wax.
78 Ski Tique, 72 Skier w/302's, 93 SN w/351 & 17 GS22 w/zr409
Previous - 99 Sport Nautique w/GT40 and 87 Martinique w/351
wakemanwillis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakemanwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2018 at 3:48am
I really like the speedos! You do clean work! Putting them in the original air guide housings is a really nice touch. I am assuming they don’t compensate for say a river current? It’s just your overland speed that is measured, yes? Also is there a GPS antenna that you had to mount somewhere?
https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?15768-TS6M-Stringer-Repair-pictures
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2018 at 8:59am
For anyone reading this that is also considering a gps speedometer conversion, be aware that Nauticlogic makes a retrofit kit that converts the original Airguides and maintains the original look 100%. A number of us have been running them for years- they are excellent.

http://www.nauticlaugic.com/airglide.html
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2018 at 9:25am
Have their prices come down? Their kit for 2 speedos is $375 which seems very reasonable. No need for #2 to be a dummy at that price.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wisky Badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2018 at 10:52am
Thanks for the advice on sanding.   I think I will tape all the areas that need to be sanded and then re tape before I paint to make sure I get a nice clean line.

There are not any additional GPS antenna with the Faria GPS system, everything is self contained in the Speedo.   I dont think the will compensate for river current like a paddle wheel will. They probably are not as high quality as the Nauti logic kits but they are a lot cheaper.   I think I picked them up on sale from Cabelas for about $70.00 each vs. $375.00 from Nauti logic.   This will probably be a case of you get what you pay for but I wanted to put the cost savings toward a new prop.

Tim, is the acme 540 the correct prop to run with this boat?
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2018 at 11:53am
I got my best lines from some fine line tape from China. It is on amazon. I bought some more expensive tape from 3M and this outperformed it. Description below. Comes in different widths. ~1/8” did letters great. Used frisked over that. Takes a while to get here so order an extra roll!

High Temperature PVC Vinyl Fine Line Masking Tape Car Auto Paint Fineline Tape (1Roll 8mmx33m)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wisky Badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2018 at 12:20pm

The 81 is prepped for paint and will be joining Team Red.

]
Timr71 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timr71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2018 at 12:53pm
Wow! Looking good!
woodyelc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodyelc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2018 at 1:56pm
FYI. We never sanded the side before we painted. And we used rustoleum paint.
woodyelc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wisky Badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2018 at 3:03pm
I am guessing correct craft didn't sand before painting because it is a huge pain in the a$$ and is very labor intensive.   It wasn't fun taping everything for sanding and then re taping everything for paint.    If I ever do it again I will do it the original way and see how it turns out.    
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2018 at 4:43pm
Gonna look awesome.

Did you use the graphics file in the Reference section for the "Ski Nautique"?
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2018 at 6:34pm
Look'n great.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wisky Badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2018 at 10:17pm
I didn't use the graphics from the reference section but they are a great resource.   I had enough ghosting from the old paint in the gel coat that I was able to use it as a guide.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2018 at 10:23am
Originally posted by samudj01 samudj01 wrote:

I got my best lines from some fine line tape from China. It is on amazon. I bought some more expensive tape from 3M and this outperformed it.

Dave,
What was the difference in performance?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2018 at 12:14pm
-pulled a crisper paint line.
-turned corners much better
-didn't adhere as much making removal easier (I had to tape over cured paint when doing my black outline)

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2018 at 1:09pm
Dave,
Thanks. I'll have to get some and give it a try. Today I'll just have to do with the 3M fine line for the project.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wisky Badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2018 at 9:05pm
Painting the stripe turned out pretty good.   

I have a few spots that I need to touch up where the paint bleed through the tape and also still have to add the black accent line on the top and bottom of the stripe.
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2018 at 10:03pm
Looks great - Good job!   
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2018 at 10:14pm
Look'n great.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2018 at 11:23pm
Very nice looking! You spray or brush?
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2018 at 12:00am
I had an 81 like that and bought it somewhat molested....yours looks great!
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wisky Badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2018 at 12:21am
I used the rolling and tipping method.   
MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2018 at 12:27am
Lookin’ good!
'92 Sport Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wisky Badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2018 at 12:48am
I have a some questions on mounting the engine cradle.

1) Should I drill the pilot holes and apply CPES allowing it to cure before installing the lag bolts or do I apply the CPES and install lag bolts immediately?

2) Should I also apply 4200 to the lag bolts to help seal them?

I also will be installing a new cutlass bearing in the strut.   I plan on removing the strut so I can re bed the strut in 4200 and make sure my alignment is correct. Is there any reason why I would want to install the cutlass while the strut is still attached the the boat?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2018 at 8:04am
Jacob,
I would allow the CPES to partially cure before running the lags in but, make it all soaked into the wood and there isn't a puddle at the bottom. If there is, you'll need to redrill the pilot hole.

Yes on the 4200 to completely seal the holes.

Replacing the cutlass will be easier with the strut removed.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2018 at 9:42am
Sure is coming along nice. Enjoying the reports.
Js

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wisky Badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2018 at 9:33pm
Thanks for the help.
linden92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linden92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2018 at 10:38pm
Subscribed! looks killer, I started my build about 2 years ago but it ended up on the back burner because I bought a tunnel hull for fishing tournaments and that got bumped ahead. Finally have all the glass and body work done on that build and excited to get back to the correct craft! If you ever found the prints you had drawn up for the stringers I would live to take a look at them. some of my measurements and pics have gotten lost over the years.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345>
  Share Topic