Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tranny noise

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
FUN-9C1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FUN-9C1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tranny noise
    Posted: April-11-2017 at 2:42pm
HI all, Been a while since I've posted here. I noticed last fall and again today after "summarizing" the boat that the transmission has a sort of rhythmic clunking sound while the motor is running, and the prop spins a little in a jerking motion. It would probably take like a full minute or two to make one revolution but it does move. It was rebuilt about 5 years ago or so by a reputable shop I think this site referred me to him. Eric was his name. Maybe he's still here? Does what I describe mean anything bad? Fluid is good and it seems to work fine.
'86 2001
'50 Century Imperial Sportsman
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2017 at 1:30pm
I think that without hearing the noise it could be tough to say for sure but I think it's not a problem.

Cold transmission fluid, no load on the prop and the clutch plates can grab ever so slightly and you'll hear some noises and the shaft can creep. Fluid warms up and the creep stops.

With 5 years on the rebuild, you shouldn't be having problems like a dirty neutral and with your description of 1 revolution in a minute that's nothing to worry about.

Or it could be your damper plate making the noise if your idle speed is real low.
The male splines on the transmission input shaft rattling against the female splines on the damper for lack of any better way to describe it.

That's without hearing the noise, but those are my thoughts

FUN-9C1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FUN-9C1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2017 at 2:43pm
That's good to hear. All conditions were as you describe. Basically cold, no load, low idle speed. I do believe if I remember correctly from last fall, there was no noise in gear and it worked fine. Looking forward to checking out under different conditions, but still ice on the lakes here. Thanks for the reply!
'86 2001
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2017 at 8:07pm
Damper plate.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
FUN-9C1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FUN-9C1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2017 at 11:37pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Damper plate.

Thanks for the reply. Would you mind expanding on that a little?
'86 2001
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2017 at 2:01pm
Chris is saying that the damper plate (like the flex plate in your automatic transmission car) is causing the noise/problem,    the flex plate absorbs the vibration and torque difference between your engine and transmission input shaft.   when they get old, the springs weaken and they can chatter.   This usually happens at idle since engine operation gets smoother at higher rpm.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2017 at 2:56pm
Here's an old thread on damper plates complete with pictures.

Maybe you replaced yours when the transmission was rebuilt, maybe you didn't

I wouldn't go jumping to any conclusions though till you have it in the water and see how it behaves and make sure your idle speed isn't too low. and the engine idles smoothly otherwise a perfectly good damper and bad running engine can make some hellacious noises

old thread

And if you tear up the damper by spinning the hub and destroying the springs, the noise is really impressive.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2017 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

And if you tear up the damper by spinning the hub and destroying the springs, the noise is really impressive.

Been there and done that!! If I remember correctly, I probably said something like WTF is that noise!! It blew at the end of the season and my next trip up was New Years. I ended up R&R'ing the damper in the boathouse under a tarp with an electric heater going. It was -15 the previous night and that block, trans and bell housing never warmed up.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
RammerJammer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RammerJammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2017 at 10:31pm
I hope this isn't too much of a threadjack, but does a perfectly good damper plate always chatter when in gear at low (<500) rpm? When I first crank my Excel it takes a few minutes to warm up the rpms to the 600-700 range. Until then, if I move forward or aft the damper plate chatters. Once the rpms are normal, and for the rest of the outing there is no chatter whatsoever and the trans is perfectly smooth.
I hope to make it through the season before I have to change the damper plate. With a v-drive I assume the easiest way to replace is to move the engine, leaving trans and v-drive in place?
1991 Nautique Excel, PCM 351, Pro-Tec ignition
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2017 at 11:09pm
In your case I'd be tempted to say something like "tune up the engine so it idles better and don't worry about the damper plate"

Oh wait, I just said it

Or let it warm up so it idles normally before putting it in gear

At your less than 500 rpm speed I think the noise is pretty much expected.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2017 at 11:40pm
Originally posted by RammerJammer RammerJammer wrote:

does a perfectly good damper plate always chatter when in gear at low (<500) rpm?

It's not the damper that chatters. It's the planetary gear set in the trans making the noise due to vibrations from the low RPM.A brand new damper will do it. As ken mentioned, get the turn up!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic