Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1991 Sport Nautique Repair Greensboro NC

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
kennyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kennyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1991 Sport Nautique Repair Greensboro NC
    Posted: April-11-2017 at 7:08pm
I am looking at a 1991 Sport Nautique to purchase. I have taken it to a shop to have it looked over and today I heard back from the mechanic that it has a transmission issue. Can anyone recommend a shop or repair person in the Triad area that would be good for this job?

Thanks for any help.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2017 at 7:49pm
Kenny,
Give these guys a call. I understand they are pretty good! Really, one of our members is involved with Race City.

So, what is the problem with the trans? The mechanic you took it to is lost and doesn't want to fix the problem? Tell us what's going on and maybe the problem is an easy fix??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
kennyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kennyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2017 at 8:01pm
I wish I was mechanically inclined to know what the problem is. The seller said that he had been having a tough time getting the boat into netural once in gear and even when we attempted to start the boat it was still in gear.   He really thought that the issue was with the button below the throttle but the mechanic said it was not and it was something with the transmission.

The guy I took it to has good reviews and I had a friend use him and have a good experience but he seems to specialize in outboards so perhaps an inboard transmission repair is just not his thing.

jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2017 at 9:57pm
A guy that specializes in outboards is not the guy you need to be talking to.
Take it to Race City. Or at least a shop that deals with inboard drive systems.
Trust me......it will be worth it!
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2017 at 12:17pm
Selector lever on transmission hitting the bottom of the muffler?
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2017 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by Fl Inboards Fl Inboards wrote:

Selector lever on transmission hitting the bottom of the muffler?

this is a good cheap place to start... repair is to raise the muffler up and re-tighten the clamps. ~10 minutes or so?
kennyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kennyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2017 at 11:47am
Thanks everyone for the advice. I wanted to take it down to Race City but I ended up taking it to another local shop, Get Wet Marine. I'm hoping to find someone a little bit closer to home so that I don't have to consistently make that 1 1/2 hour drive to Mooresville. They are a Centurion dealer and often have a selection of pre-owned ski boats so I'm hoping they know inboards well.   I'll wait to see what they diagnose the problem as and go from there. If it is anything really involved I'll probably still end up taking the boat down to Race City.

Thanks for the input on the selector lever, I'll pass that on to the folks at the shop.
kennyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kennyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2017 at 1:57pm
Can anyone post a picture of where the selector is and what it looks like? I might go down to the shop and take a look, I don't believe the shop has gotten to the boat yet.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2017 at 2:13pm
Kenny,    open the motor box,   and maybe pull the box out for this operation.   the trans is at the aft of the engine, located under the large black muffler (commonly know as an InvertaFlo).   when you get there, follow the observers side of the trans up to the lever shown in the attached photo.    if the InvertaFlow is too low in the boat, the lever will hit.    there are supports on the motor mounts that should be adjusted to keep the IF from sliding down, but they may need adjustment.   Getting the hoses loose from the IF can be a challenge, a small screw driver and some WD-40 are your friend if you need to move the hose position on the fiberglass muffler.   

The photo shows the IF removed, but the trans selector is circled in red

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2017 at 2:13pm
Just follow the shift cable as it leads to the tranny. Have someone operate the shifter while you observe the tranny's lever. It may be hitting the muffler.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
kennyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kennyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2017 at 2:24pm
Awesome, I'll hopefully head down there later today or early tomorrow. I"ll report back with some pictures.
kennyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kennyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2017 at 10:47pm
Well I got down there last Friday to take some pics but had a busy week so here we go. I didn't see anything that looked like it would be coming into contact with the lever. This is going to sound like a dumb question but the selector lever will only move when the motor is running correct?

Anyways the current shop says they are still a few weeks out from taking a look at it so I've scheduled a tentative appointment at Race City this Tuesday which brings me to my next question.

I've been borrowing a buddy's truck to tow the boat around for now but I was wondering what people thought about a 2001 Toyota Highlander towing this 1991 Sport Nautique. The drive down to Mooresville from Greensboro is about 90 minutes mainly highway. . From what I read the boat is 2500lbs and the trailer is 1000lbs and the car and hitch are both rated for 3500lbs. From what I've read its not a great idea to get so close to the max rating but I'm getting tired of asking friends for favors. I'm currently looking for a more appropriate vehicle to tow with but the Highlander is what I got for now.

Thanks for any help.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2017 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by kennyd kennyd wrote:

This is going to sound like a dumb question but the selector lever will only move when the motor is running correct?

The engine does NOT need to be running to move the lever. But, as Chris mentioned above, it would be handy to have someone operate the helm shift while the lever is observed to see if it's hitting something. If a second person isn't available, disconnect the cable at the lever and operate the lever manually.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2017 at 9:38am
Highlander OK to tow with, just be aware that you have limited braking ability, so i wouldn't tailgate at all.

So have you already purchased this boat?

If so, while it is in the shop, you might want them to check shaft alignment.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic