Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Holley 4160 Idle Mixture Adjustment

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
NautiqueJeff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NautiqueJeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Holley 4160 Idle Mixture Adjustment
    Posted: April-12-2017 at 11:51pm
Ok, hopefully this is a simple question, and you guys can point me in the right direction.

I just had PCM rebuild my carb on my '98 Ski Nautique. I dropped it in the water the other day and could barely get it to start. Reid and I played around with the idle mixture screws a little bit and got it started, but it still isn't set just right.

I want to set the mixture just right, so I went out and grabbed a vacuum gauge and was planning to connect it and set the screws to the optimum settings using the vacuum readings. One problem -- my carb doesn't seem to have a vacuum port. Is this typical of a 75009 PCM Holley 4160?

Here's where I was expecting the port to be. Am I looking in the wrong place?

Current Boats: 1998 Ski Nautique, 2000 Sport Nautique, 1985 Sea Nautique 2700 (twin-engine), 1981 Fish Nautique (twin-engine), 1980 Fish Nautique (twin-engine)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NautiqueJeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2017 at 12:10am
My carb is a little different than the one above though. Here's a picture of a 75009 4160. As you can see, the bowls are slightly different (no sight plug, etc.), and there is no full manifold vacuum port at the base, and no timed spark vacuum port either (not that that would help me anyway).

If there is no vacuum port, do I just fall back to adjusting the idle mixture based solely on the RPM?

Current Boats: 1998 Ski Nautique, 2000 Sport Nautique, 1985 Sea Nautique 2700 (twin-engine), 1981 Fish Nautique (twin-engine), 1980 Fish Nautique (twin-engine)
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2017 at 12:39am
Jeff first you need to get your mechanic off of the Blue Chair Rum Cream

I took this off the internet-

Idle Mixture Adjustment.
Start vehicle, and let it warm up.
Connect a vacuum gauge to an full time vacuum source (intake manifold).
The carburetor throttle plate is just fine. (Very bottom part of the carb)
With the vehicle running, (and in gear with an automatic) Turn the idle mixture screws on the metering block clockwise the same amount until you get your highest vacuum reading.
Start with about 1/4 turn at time, and KEEP BOTH SIDES THE SAME!
If, on rare occasion, the vacuum reading goes down when the screws go in, by all means turn them out 1/4 turn at a time until the highest vacuum reading is achieved.
Don't forget to re-set the curb idle speed when you are done with the idle mixture.

So you need to connect to manifold vacuum,either removing a plug in it and using an adapter or possibly connecting to the adapter for the pcv valve somehow, Good luck
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NautiqueJeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2017 at 12:56am
The only port this carb seems to have is this one. I tried connecting to that, just to see what I would get for a reading, and I got zero.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2017 at 1:39am
That is before the venturi's of the carb you need to be after. The easiest would be to tap into the black hose on this picture with a T to fit it and your gauge hose. Not the same engine but very close to what you'll have. I would get another hose and put the T into it,change them out when your done.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NautiqueJeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2017 at 2:00am
That's the info I needed! Thanks!

I'll tap into that and have a go at it.

ViperSammy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ViperSammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2019 at 10:04pm
Sorry to revive and old thread...

This looks like my carb, and I don't see any vacuum ports either. I need to adjust my idles as well.

There is a small port to the left of the choke, it looks like it should have something attached, but I can't figure out what. Any ideas? I took the "cap" off of it, and there was a washer in it...

Thanks!

Scott
'85 Ski Nautique
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2019 at 10:18pm
The small port to the left of the choke has a very small flow thru it to provide cooler air to the choke element housing to prevent the element from overheating itself. It's a built in small vacuum leak by design

Not a good spot to hook a vacuum gauge.

Either tee it into the PCV hose or pull the PCV hose from the PCV valve and stick the vacuum gauge in the end of the hose with whatever adapters you need to prevent an unwanted vacuum leak.

See Gary S's post 2 above yours for the PCV hose.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic