NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shaft Alignment

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2017 at 12:00am
Careful measuring off the edge of the base, those castings are very rough. Bolt holes are a better reference, I've seen the base off by almost 1/4".

Remember that forcing the shaft into the center of the log doesn't mean squat. You need to judge where the shaft spins easily and align the powertrain to that point. The packing is attached with a flexible hose, don't forget- alignment at the log doesn't have to be perfect, but strut and powertrain need to line up.
Frankenotter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2017 at 1:26am
Thanks tim!

Yea it certainly wasn't happy in the log and I had to put some pressure on the shaft to get it centered. It must have been a perfect storm of misalignment with all the old gear that allowed it to run. I made a wooden V-block to support the shaft when the strut comes back. I plan to

1.Attach the strut loosely with one bolt
2.Let the shaft center in the log
3.4200 the strut back into position and tighten the bolts
4. Align the engine to the shaft
5.Run the boat into rocks on the first outing.

1999 Ski Nautique 196
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2017 at 6:36am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Careful measuring off the edge of the base, those castings are very rough. Bolt holes are a better reference, I've seen the base off by almost 1/4"..

Looks like TRB understands castings.    ie. Casting was qualified for machining using the OD of the cutlass bearing bore in order to keep wall thickness consistent, then they aligned the fin part vertical. Didn't matter where the .rectangular portion ended up. Holes are in line with fin c/l and cutlass bore.    Time = $$ in machining
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2017 at 7:04am
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Careful measuring off the edge of the base, those castings are very rough. Bolt holes are a better reference, I've seen the base off by almost 1/4"..

Looks like TRB understands castings.    ie. Casting was qualified for machining using the OD of the cutlass bearing bore in order to keep wall thickness consistent, then they aligned the fin part vertical.

Exactly regarding measuring castings plus I'd like to add that I wouldn't trust Tim's idea of using the location of the holes. Both are the reason I mentioned this after seeing Chris's pictures of the shaft to trans coupling.
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Chris,
That's quite a distance to move the engine. Check your strut location. Measure from the chine on each side to the shaft to see if it's centered. Does it at all look bent or leaning towards starboard?

Chris,
Why did you remove the strut from the boat? Did you measure as suggested?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2017 at 11:49am
I removed it for two reasons.

1. The shaft was resting unnaturally far port with no outside force.

2. You could actually see the bend in the strut visually by looking closely.

I cleaned up the schmoo from the mounting surface of the strut and took several measurements from many different spots. There was a slight tweak in the alignment as well as a noticeable lean to one side. Plus, it explains the extreme deviation in the pictures above. There was not enogh play in the engine mount to correct for the gap.

Pete I didn't get a chance to measure like you said because I had already removed the strut by the time I ready your post. If the strut gets returned in the same condition I sent it out, I will have learned a $65 lesson. I don't think that will be the case but we'll find out in a week.
1999 Ski Nautique 196
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2017 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by Frankenotter Frankenotter wrote:

Pete I didn't get a chance to measure like you said because I had already removed the strut by the time I ready your post. If the strut gets returned in the same condition I sent it out, I will have learned a $65 lesson. I don't think that will be the case but we'll find out in a week.

Chris,
Just to recap, when the strut comes back, washers to shim its base may still be needed. Just start the alignment at the strut by dry fitting it so the shaft is roughly centered in the log and happy in the cutlass. Keep us informed. Were there any washers under the strut when you removed it? Shims were common back then.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2017 at 3:15pm
Think of the strut as 3 components: bore, web and flange. The bore holds the cutlass bearing. The flange attaches the the strut assembly to the hull. The web connects the bore and flange. It does not need to be perfectly straight. It doesn't need to straight at all!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2017 at 1:39pm
Just got a call back from Delta.

He told me the strut was bent lateral AND twisted.

And also to clarify a comment I made before about Delta not giving the CCF discount, apparently we still get the 10% for props and specific items but NOT services. I know the cutlass bearing is also not a discounted item.
1999 Ski Nautique 196
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2017 at 5:15pm
Chris - Your boat is very lucky to have been rescued by you!

It is going to run like a sewing machine with all these straight parts.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2017 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by Frankenotter Frankenotter wrote:

Just got a call back from Delta.

He told me the strut was bent lateral AND twisted.

And? Can they fix it?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2017 at 12:05am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Chris - Your boat is very lucky to have been rescued by you!

It is going to run like a sewing machine with all these straight parts.

Thanks Chris. I still owe it all to you.

Gary they fixed it and it's in the mail.
1999 Ski Nautique 196
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2017 at 12:20am
Great Chris I was worried they called to tell you bad news
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2017 at 12:52pm
So the followup / culmination of the project happened yesterday. I got the strut back from delta and losely bolted it to the hull. Right away the shaft fell centered in the log. I cut a small wooden V-block so I could keep it in position for the next step.

I got an engine hoist and a chain attached to the aft/left side of the engine instead of using a bottle jack. I had a few bottle jacks available, but none small enogh to fit under the exhaust manifold. The left engine mount was a piece of cake. All the bolts were exposed and easily accessible. Once I got it out of the boat, I put it in a bench vice and gave it some love with a ball peen. It broke free in 2 wacks. Oiled everything up and put it back in without and trouble.

The aft/right side mount is considerably harder to get to. The top attach bolt is no problem, but the bottom is insane. We ended up using a little stubby 5/8ths, a section of pipe, and a big a$$ hammer to break it loose. Then I used the stubby wrench to turn the bolt about a 1/16th of a turn at a time. Once freed, it was the same song different verse.

Everything went back into the boat nice and loose with the shaft still resting in the V-block. I tightened up the strut to the hull without 4200 to see how the alignment looked. There was slightly more than a .003" gap at the top of the coupler. I used the vertical adjustment jack screws to bring it down 1/4 turn. This put it right in the sweet spot with no gaps.

Lastly, I took the strut off and used the 4200 on the mounting plate. Checked the alignment one more time and then snugged the strut bolts to cure. Everything nice and straight with a brand new ARE shaft...........life is good.

On a side note, I can't even imagine doing all of this while trying to install a red hot interference coupler. ARE shafts seem to be the way to go.

I wish I could have gotten some pics but my phone is totally full and won't let me take anymore.

Chris
1999 Ski Nautique 196
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2017 at 1:11pm
Interference couplers are for the birds. The ARE in my brothers boat is likely the smoothest boat I've ever driven. Good work Chris.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2017 at 1:46pm
Chris,
Excellent!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2017 at 1:55pm
Now I know you fly straight and drive straight. That boatnis gonna be smoother than an Airbus on a cool winter morning with no crosswind.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2017 at 10:56pm
Thanks gents! Again it all started with replacing the cutlass and here we are at the end of the rabbit hole. That's why this forum rocks.

Come on over to Milwaukee and ski the 176 with the A.R.E. !!!
1999 Ski Nautique 196
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic