NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1976 Tique battery goes dead with key off

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Bencruizen76 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bencruizen76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1976 Tique battery goes dead with key off
    Posted: April-17-2017 at 10:42pm
Hi i have a 76 Tique with a 302 in it. i stored it indoors covered over the winter and last week i went and put the battery in it and got it running, the next day i went out and the battery was dead, so i put a brand new battery in and it does the same thing so obviously there is a bad ground or something pulling juice with the key off. i had no problems with it at all last year before it was put away. where do i start looking? no mice got in it and no wires are broke. I do notice the voltage meter moves to zero when i turn the key, is that normal? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2017 at 7:53am
Jeff,
Run a parasitic load test. "Google" the procedure and get the VOM out. Set it on the 20 amp scale first. An overnight battery drain is a fairly big amp drain.

BTW, I feel your question has been missed by many including myself since you posted in the "help Correctcraftfan.com" section that explains how you can contribute to CorrectCraftFan.com

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2017 at 11:19am
With a drain that large I'm guessing when you connect or disconnect the negative lead you may see a few small sparks. Not many things on the boat that aren't obvious (blower, bilge pump, lights, radio) draw enough juice to pull down a battery overnight. Do the load test as Pete suggests, once your meter is hooked up (definitely read some directions first so you don't fry the meter) you can pull fuses and see if you can locate which circuit is pulling juice. Not hard to do.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Bencruizen76 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bencruizen76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2017 at 8:24pm
I'm thinking possibly a bad ignition switch, with the key off i took a test light and there is power to the alternator still. whats your thoughts?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2017 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by Bencruizen76 Bencruizen76 wrote:

I'm thinking possibly a bad ignition switch, with the key off i took a test light and there is power to the alternator still. whats your thoughts?

Here's a wiring diagram that's accurate for a 76 PCM Ford engine

What wire has power with the key OFF?
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2017 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

[QUOTE=Bencruizen76] I'm thinking possibly a bad ignition switch, with the key off i took a test light and there is power to the alternator still. whats your thoughts?

Disconnect the negative side of the battery to be safe and then unhook the alternator.. By taking it out of the circuit it should isolate the alternator and voltage regulator. Hook up the negative again and see if it still has the same discharge draw.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2017 at 8:55am
see next post down
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2017 at 9:08am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

If you think it's a bad switch, unhook the purple wire in the diagram from the back of the switch and check for voltage at the switch terminal you just unhooked the wire from.
Should be none if the key is off and 12ish with the key in the run position.

The big orange wire hooked to the alternator always has power no matter what position the key is in.
A bad diode in the alternator you can give a discharge path to ground with the key OFF so if you do like Duane says and the discharge goes away with the alternator unhooked, I'd be getting the alternator tested.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2017 at 7:39am
Jeff,
Were you able to confirm the drain was the alternator? We'd love to hear back from you. It's always great to find out if we were able to help out.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic