Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - My oil pan was leaking, but I can't figure out why
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My oil pan was leaking, but I can't figure out why

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
KooK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KooK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My oil pan was leaking, but I can't figure out why
    Posted: April-21-2017 at 1:00am
I mean, whoever did this last used some top quality gaskets and sealed it with the correct amount of silicone in only the few corners like what you're supposed to.

http://imgur.com/a/wbwOl

10/10 work, would do business with.
fgroce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fgroce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2017 at 9:09am
First off way to much silicone. Clean it all up, make sure the edges of the pan are flat. Then order the rubber Fel Pro gasket. Not the cork gasket. I have had a more success with the newer style gasket. I do not know if they offer it in this model. But have used them successfully on later model 351s.
FGroce
88 Ski Nautique
For 28 years
Now 2002 Ski Nautique
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2017 at 9:56am
I think there was a little sarcasm in the lead post . . .
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
KooK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KooK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2017 at 12:10pm
Yeah, I have no idea what the hell the person that did this was thinking. All I know is I have 1/4 pound of silicone I need to throw away. Plus the cylinder walls look okay (I think I can still see the hash markings) from under but I'm getting ~60% leakdown on average at 100psi with 40% going past the rings. I'm going to pull the heads today and see what's going on inside there. Hopefully they just lined up the piston rings in a stupid orientation and I don't have to hone (or bore) the block... The gaskets are mostly new enough that you can tell somebody was in here recently.
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2017 at 7:45pm
Unless it's too late, do another leak=down test with the pan off. That should tell you where the problem is. You should easily detect if it is ring leakage. Listen for leakage from the exhaust ports and the intake manifold. Wishful thinking here but maybe if it is a new rebuild and the rings have not seated yet. You did not state how many hours are on the engine. Also possible that the rings are moly coated and not compatible with the crosshatch in the bores.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
KooK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KooK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2017 at 9:04pm
The engine has at least 50+ hours on it. When I bought it, it was over-fueling and the first thing I did was a leak down test and a carb retune. I think they were running it rich enough to wash the cylinders for some time.
KooK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KooK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2017 at 10:50pm
http://imgur.com/a/NsfwW

She sat for a little bit...
fgroce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fgroce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2017 at 9:59am
Yes she sat for a while, Hard to tell if it was light rust on the cylinder walls or if they are pitted. Can you see the hone marks all the way to the top of the cylinder if you can and have no pitting. You could remove the pistons, inspect them for wear. If the pistons check out good you could get a ball hone and hone the cylinders yourself to save money. The ball hone produces the best hone pattern for the new rings to seat. They are very easy to use and produce professional results. Just make sure use use the proper grit ball hone for the type of rings you are installing. I do not recommend the 3 stone type hone they are not good for a quality job.   Check out some of the videos on them. Hope this helps.
FGroce
88 Ski Nautique
For 28 years
Now 2002 Ski Nautique
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2017 at 11:42am
Originally posted by KooK KooK wrote:

The engine has at least 50+ hours on it. When I bought it, it was over-fueling and the first thing I did was a leak down test and a carb retune. I think they were running it rich enough to wash the cylinders for some time.

I would still leak it again, this time with the pan off to verify the problem.
Sounds like you had better ball hone it and throw in a new set of rings. They are relatively cheap and that will freshen up the engine some.
The bearings are probably still good. Check them out when you pull the pistons
        1978 Mustang (modified)
KooK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KooK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2017 at 4:00pm
http://imgur.com/a/Zjuyd

Piston skirts are toast, and you can feel the grooves in the cylinder walls. The engine needs to be taken at least .020 over to clean it up. No big deal. Although I've never rebuilt an engine this old before, all the engines I've had I've always sent out to specialty shops. I've got a pretty decent machine shop here in town, or is there somebody top notch I can send my block and heads to that you guys recommend that works specifically on this stuff?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2017 at 5:25pm
I still have a set of Sealed Power +.040 pistons for a 302 that are like new. Almost zero time on them. You can have them for the price of the postage if you wanted to go that far over. I went +.060 with mine.
        1978 Mustang (modified)
KooK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KooK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2017 at 6:43pm
I appreciate the offer, I'm going to see what the machine shop says first, I want to take as little material from the bores as I have to.
fgroce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fgroce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2017 at 9:09pm
Kook good idea to let the machine shop check it out before you order parts. I think? do not know for sure but, I do not think the clearances for the pistons are the same for a boat engine as a car engine.    In a car engine the rule of thumb is .001 per inch diameter of piston.   You would also probably want cast pistons, they have been popular for a long time and are easier on the block than forged pistons. I would also go with the high end Felpro gaskets. A good place to get parts from is Summit Racing. Do not put a high volume oil pump in it not needed. These engines are old school, if you can rebuild a modern engine ie overhead cam, then this will be easy. Good luck take pictures.
FGroce
88 Ski Nautique
For 28 years
Now 2002 Ski Nautique
KooK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KooK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2017 at 10:37pm
I'm actually going to end up going with an aluminum alloy, hypereutectic piston. Probably a Speed Pro or something along those lines. Definitely staying with Fel-Pro's high end gaskets all the way through the engine. I'm also going to be tossing my cam at someone to measure it all out and see what the specs look like, and if I would benefit from getting another one. Last thing, I think I've heard the marine heads are actually pretty decently ported, so I'm looking at doing a gasket match, changing out the valve guides, doing the stem seals, and we'll see what kind of shape the springs are in.

She'll purr when she's done; hopefully here in less than a month.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic