NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Glass Layup Schedule on '82 2001?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 7>
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2017 at 5:05pm
Use the platform brackets as tie down points. It's done all the time. Remember, the bracket bolts and transom glass are shear loaded so no worries regarding integrity.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Nautique Newby View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique Newby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2017 at 5:09pm
Originally posted by Wisky Badger Wisky Badger wrote:

Great progress, keep the pictures coming.

Regarding the transom tie downs. I am in about same steps as you on my 81 right now and was also wondering about adding transom tie downs.   I was thinking about adding some above the waterline by glassing in some new wood to the interior of the transom above the swim platform mounts, but I don't think it will look very good. Do you think you can strap to the bottom of the swim platform if you use through hull bolts instead of lags or would this create to much stress on the swim platform brackets?

I'm glad to know I'm not the only poor sap to have his boat stuck in dry dock in the middle of ski season. I'm hoping to at least get it in the water before end of summer. Very long way to go though. I was looking back at this thread and was surprised to see it took me 2 1/2 months to get the 3 stringer glued in. Was really hoping to be further along by now.

I get more than a little jealous when I see someone on the way to the lake with their boat in tow.

I hope I don't screw this up!
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique Newby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2017 at 5:17pm
Wisky,
Please feel free to add some photos of your project to this thread. We might be able to share some valuable info given we're at the same stage and with boats only a year apart.

Wisky Badger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wisky Badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2017 at 6:07pm
Hopefully I will have some more pictures added by the end of the long 4th of July weekend.   I plan to do a little work on the boat in the mornings but I will be taking my other boat out in the afternoons. I have made some good progress the last two weekends because the boating weather in Wisconsin has either been really windy or cold. The primaries and secondary stringers are completely glassed in and now I am working on the bulkhead between the primaries and the supports between the secondary and primaries. I am kind of at a stand still right now because I am waiting for more aerosol cabosil to arrive from US Composites.   
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique Newby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2017 at 6:28pm
Did you use 1708 (or sim) on your stringers? I want to do one continuous layer of 1708 over both the primary and secondary but I"m concerned about getting it to lay down over all those curves on the main. Did you have to use small pieces around the "sculpted" area of the main?

MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2017 at 9:53pm
I was in an accident with my Nautique in tow a couple years ago. My transom straps broke allowing my boat to come forward on the trailer and nearly in the back window of our BMW X5.   The bunks were wet just out of the lake so little friction to help.
I strap from the rear of my trailer to the bottom of my ski platform.
Both Straps broke but the swim platform is fine, no damage visible at all.
The straps that snapped were not that strong, 4 or 600 pound rating.
The new ones I use are 1,500 pound rating and I beefed up the system by adding a chain from my trailer to the front boat eye on the bow. Now the boat would have to snap both 1,500 pound straps and then break the chain (5,000 pound) to move forward on the trailer.   These straps normally do nothing other than add comfort to you driving home from the lake.   When 5 deer jump out in front of your car they get put to hard use.............
The swim platform is certainly strong enough to hold the boat in place but make sure the rest of your attachment and straps are strong enough..
I think my boat came forward before the accident just from the wet bunks and all brakes locking up at once and I was on a downhill grade.. I had just fixed my trailer brakes and know they were at 100%.
Both boat tires skidded and the X5 anti lock system was kicked in. I was in a crash but by the time we hit I was less than 10 mph, I hit the brakes at 50MPH.

Very nice project, keep up the great work. Once repaired that boat can last you a lifetime.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2017 at 11:31pm
Originally posted by Nautique Newby Nautique Newby wrote:

I get more than a little jealous when I see someone on the way to the lake with their boat in tow.

When you start out yes your always a boat short. But then you buy another and another and pretty soon your well on your way
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Wisky Badger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wisky Badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2017 at 12:37am
My process varied from yours a little bit. I removed all the stringers at once and then reinstalled the primaries and glassed them in completely before I installed the secondary stringers.   Now I am installing the supports and bulkheads.   

I did use 1708 to cap the stringers.   I also wanted to try to cap the stringers with one large piece but it won't layout nice around the molded pieces.   I had to cut some smaller pieces to install them around the difficult parts but I made sure to overlap them a few inches each.   I also added a thin strip of 1708 on the top of the molded pieces before I capped them to make sure I had good coverage in those areas.   

Here are some tricks that worked well for me:

Router a 1/4 inch round edge on the top of the stringers to create a nice radius for the 1708 to follow.   

Make a big table with a sheet of plywood and cover it in plastic.   Use the table to wet out the mat side of the 1708 and then install on the stringers and roll the other side with a roller covered in resin to ensure a full wet out. Then use a detail roller to get rid of all the air bubbles. It is a lot easier to wet out 1708 on a nice flat surface than on a vertical stringer wall.   

This is a diagram of my stringer layup

[/IMG]

I had to borrow the glitter pens from my daughters art supplies.
Timr71 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timr71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2017 at 2:04pm
Looking good there guys.

NN - where in Alabama are you located? Where do you plan to go to the lake.

There's been a Nautique parked in a long driveway off of HWY 119 near my home and I've been eyeing it every time I've driven past. I have been tempted to stop, but you would have to drive into their driveway to look at the boat. It's not there now, so they either moved it inside or took it to the lake for the season.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique Newby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2017 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by Timr71 Timr71 wrote:

Looking good there guys.

NN - where in Alabama are you located? Where do you plan to go to the lake.

There's been a Nautique parked in a long driveway off of HWY 119 near my home and I've been eyeing it every time I've driven past. I have been tempted to stop, but you would have to drive into their driveway to look at the boat. It's not there now, so they either moved it inside or took it to the lake for the season.

Chelsea. We went once to Lay Lake (closest one) to do the first test drive (bought it last spring) and then the rest on Logan Martin. Too many horror stories of submerged logs/stumps on Lay so I'll limit my time there once I get the boat back together.

Just curious what year boat is on 119?
Timr71 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timr71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2017 at 5:36pm

Chelsea. We went once to Lay Lake (closest one) to do the first test drive (bought it last spring) and then the rest on Logan Martin. Too many horror stories of submerged logs/stumps on Lay so I'll limit my time there once I get the boat back together.

Just curious what year boat is on 119?

Model Year: I'm not sure...my best guess is early 90's. I haven't gotten close enough to get much of a look at it, and it's been under a cover.

I was on Lay lake once, many years ago, and I heard of it's reputation for being stumpy. We've been to visit a friend who has a place on Jordan. I have another friend who has a place on Logan Martin, but I've never been there yet.

I lucked into a dry stack spot at River North on Lake Martin, so we go there. We live in the Oak Mountain area. Very familiar with Chelsea from sports.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique Newby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2017 at 5:36pm
Thanks for taking the time to do the sketch, Wisky. And pretty too Very informative.

I will certainly keep your tips in mind when I lay the glass. I like the idea of the table but I may only be able to do one side of glass on the table. Even though I'm in a basement it's pretty hot down here tight now so I don't want it setting up on me before I get it in the boat. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique Newby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2017 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by Timr71 Timr71 wrote:

I lucked into a dry stack spot at River North on Lake Martin, so we go there. We live in the Oak Mountain area. Very familiar with Chelsea from sports.

Lake Martin is the best for sure. But also very pricey!!   I spent many summers on that lake growing up since my grandparents had a cabin on the north end and my aunt and uncle had a place near Children's Harbor. It was right across the lake from the 4th fireworks. We used to go over in the boat and anchor right under them, along with a few hundred other boats.

My grandparents sold their place when I was in college (no income to buy it from them). and the other one sold for seven figures. Like I said... pricey!
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique Newby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2017 at 3:27pm
I got the starboard stringers glassed in over the 4th weekend. This past weekend I got the last main cut out, ground down the resin/glass on the hull to prep for the new stringer and cut the new stringer. I'm currently priming the new one before gluing it in (hopefully this weekend). I used Wisky's advice about the plywood for wetting the fabric (pic below). It worked out great. Thanks again for the tip Wisky.

I meant to take pics of the glassed stringers yesterday but I was exhausted and forgot to do it.

I also removed the strut from the hull. There was a little silicone around the bolts but nothing between the mounting plate and the hull. It dropped loose as soon as the last bolt was removed. Did CC normally bed the struts in sealant at the factory? I can see how the strut would be easily knocked askew with just the bolts holding the alignment.

I also put the shaft on a polished granite slab to check for deflection. I also checked the slab flatness with a machined straightedge that's within a few thousandths. Amazingly the shaft is straight (almost like I just found $400).

I'm also thinking about taking the fins off the hull. One of them is bent over so I wanted to straighten it.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique Newby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2017 at 8:49pm
I got the last stringer glued in last night, I hope to have the starboard side glassed in within a week. As you can see in the photo the post above is wrong, the port side stingers are glassed in, not starboard.. I still have some areas to "touch-up" on the glass.

Feels good to get that last one glued in. Will feel even better when all are glassed.

fgroce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fgroce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2017 at 9:05pm
I like it, One day I may have to do it to my Dad's boat, but I am in no big hurry. Keep up the good work, Hope you get it wet this summer..

FGroce
88 Ski Nautique
For 28 years
Now 2002 Ski Nautique
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique Newby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2017 at 11:15am
Thanks fGroce.   It's a LOT of work to be sure!! Especially if most all the work is on the weekends. I've seen on here 200-400 man hours. For me it will certainly be on the upper end of that range.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique Newby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2017 at 11:18am
Doing a little planning ahead.... when I'm cutting the 3/4" flooring under the front seats, does the wood go all the way to the hull on each side of the boat or stop just short of touching the hull. The wood I took out was so rotted I couldn't tell where it stopped. I think it stopped short and some sort of wadding was placed between the end of wood and the hull.

Can anyone out there lend any insight?

Thanks
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique Newby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2017 at 4:14pm
Got the starboard side stringers glassed in over the weekend. Can't express how glad I am to have that done. 16 hrs over two days for each side takes a toll on the neck, back and legs. I learned some lessons from the port side so the second side turned out better than the first side, particularly on the secondaries. I tried to put down the 12' x 25" piece of 10 oz glass in one sheet on the first side. Not the way to go in my opinion. I worked with smaller sections on the second side and it went much better. I think that's evident in the photos. I went with 6" and 12" strips of 1708 glass from stringer to hull on both sets of stringers with two layers of 10 oz glass over that on the secondaries and two layers of 1708 on the mains.

On to the smaller sub-floor pieces along with some clean-up and touch-up on the stringers.

(Edited to upload images instead of linking to Photobucket)

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique Newby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2017 at 6:57pm
Well, work on the boat has slowed down considerably over the past two weeks. My wife put her foot down that I wasn't at home enough (the boat will not fit in our garage) since this project has been an every weekend thing since early April.

So I've switched to concentrating on the trailer referb, (which can be brought to the house) and small items associated with the boat. I managed to complete refinishing the ski pylon. It was looking pretty bad from 35 years of use/weathering so I polished is up to mirror finish. Turned out pretty nice. Started with 220 grit sandpaper to take out some scratches and moved steadily up to wet 2500. Then polished with auto clear coat cutting/buffing paste.

I plan to get the new foam in the boat then hopefully glass the floor before putting the boat back on the trailer and storing it until next spring to finish it up for 2018 summer use. I've got another house project to finish before then.

BTW - What's the deal with the rotated pics? The uploaded file is oriented correctly. Anybody know how to fix this?
fgroce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fgroce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2017 at 8:52pm
I like the pylon it looks good.
FGroce
88 Ski Nautique
For 28 years
Now 2002 Ski Nautique
MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2017 at 9:36am
Looking good! I know what you mean about working weekends. I haven't been able to every weekend, but that is my only chance since my boat is also not at my house.

I haven't seen an answer to your question about whether the plywood needs to to touch the wall. It shouldn't. It creates a stress point so keeping it off just a bit is best. Good luck.
'92 Sport Nautique
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique Newby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2017 at 8:12pm
I'm ready to pour my flotation foam in the boat. Originally my plan was to do everything to repair/redo the structure and floor before putting it back on the trailer. However the instructions for using the 2 part polyurethane foam, say that 80 deg or above is optimal for max expansion. The boat is currently in a cool basement supported on shoring. The trailer is being refurb'd separately.   Since the basement garage is typically less than 80 deg, even in the summer, I think it best to put the boat back on the trailer and move it outside to foam. Also better ventilation for off-gassing.

As mentioned in this thread, I have all four stringers glassed in.

Question is, can the boat be lifted back onto the trailer in it's current state without risking distorting the hull or damaging work already done? To do this I would have to winch the bow up by the lifting eye, remove all but the two stern supports, roll the trailer under the boat, jack the trailer up to unload the two supports, remove the last two supports and lower the trailer. Boat would then only be supported on the trailer bunks.

Obviously all of this would be done without any foam and without any flooring installed. Is this asking for trouble? I realize the foam and floor are not structural but they do add rigidity to the hull.

Thanks,
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2017 at 8:40pm
The foam and floor are structural on a 2001. I don't think I'd go through the trouble of moving the boat just to get temps up for foam. You have to be in the 60's-70's anyways right? The foam will be just fine. It doesn't outgas much, similar to the epoxy.

You're dead set on using foam right?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique Newby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2017 at 8:48pm
Yes, I already have the foam and I want the floor and hull to be solid. I realize the issue with water getting back in there and not getting out. But I'll just have to be extra vigilant about keeping the boat covered and making sure the bilge is empty. I'm also considering snap in carpet instead of glue in so I can keep an eye on any damage to the floor.

Thanks for the help!
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique Newby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2017 at 2:30pm
I finally got the boat foamed this past weekend. Still have some of the liquid left so need to find some more places to foam. Thinking about applying to the top of the bow. Obviously it hasn't been trimmed to floor line yet. The funny thing was it's summer in the south and I had to use a heater to get the garage up to optimal temp.

Some hints to pass along;
WEAR A FULL BODY TYVEK SUIT. I had one on and still got some on my arms and on my face (don't know how it got there). Peeling it off you face is NOT fun. Especially with 2 day stubble. Wear eye protection too.

I worked with 1 quart (1 pint of each liquid) at a time and it seemed like a good amount. Easy to mix in the 45 seconds and manageable pours.

I used 6 buckets... one for each liquid to pour from the 5 gal pails so I'm not trying to get precise with the heavy buckets, 1 for each liquid to measure exact amounts and 2 for mixing. I discovered that if you mix a couple batches in one bucket then put aside and use the other one for the next two pours, the first bucket will have set up and it's a lot easier to get the dried foam out of it to use again. Peels out like the epoxy does.

Get lots of stir sticks. They don't come clean.

Cover the gel coat and dash of the boat with plastic. The foam sticks to everything it touches.

This one is probably rather obvious, since you have to wait 15-20 min before covering the poured foam, I started on one side of the boat and worked my way around to the other. By the time I got back to where I started it was well past the set-up time to fill in the gaps.

Now time to cut the foam to floor line and get the floor in.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique Newby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2017 at 2:35pm
I plan on using a thin layer of plywood under the glass top layer to make up the floor. I assume that the plywood should not go wall the way to the hull sides for the same reasons the thicker decking under the front seat areas doesn't. How much gap should be between the wood and the side of the hull?
MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2017 at 11:13am
Thanks for posting this. This is what I am planning to do this weekend. Post any lessons learned cutting it down as well.

For my floor I have tried to run the plywood close to the wall without touching. I get the impression the hard spot could lead to cracks, but as long as it doesn't touch it is fine. Just don't want stress concentration.
'92 Sport Nautique
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique Newby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2017 at 11:43am
Make sure the floor boxes are secured in place with weights or sim. The foam does not rise quickly but it does exert some pressure even when it's not completely contained. My front box was secured to the bulkhead and the foam still made it rise slightly. I had to hold it down until the foam stopped expanding. I put weights in the front one and it worked well.

You have to work quick so plan your pours and have someone else help you time your mixing. The US Composite 2 lb foam really does start foaming at about 45-50 seconds from combining the two parts.   
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2017 at 12:40pm

I plan on using a thin layer of plywood under the glass top layer to make up the floor. I assume that the plywood should not go wall the way to the hull sides for the same reasons the thicker decking under the front seat areas doesn't. How much gap should be between the wood and the side of the hull?

As said above not touching is the right answer... but man I sure wouldn't put that wood anywhere you don't need it to screw into.   First you have to cut and shape the boards, cover them with cps, then get a good bond down to the foam and all you are doing is putting something extra in there to delaminate and rot.   I strongly recommend you go all composite here... should you ever have an issue in the future it will just be that much easier to do a spot repair in only the effected area and not have to remove the wood until you find something dry.   Some cheapo mat or biax to bulk up the floor thickness and some good resin is not free but I doubt the plywood will save you any cost if done right.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 7>
  Share Topic