Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Corrode battery terminals

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
knewt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Corrode battery terminals
    Posted: April-23-2017 at 11:33pm
1984 Ski Nautique 2001

Symptoms - starter not turning over, dash gauges not working once the key turned to "ON", 12V present at the solenoid.

Real issue - the copper battery wire on the positive side corroded the inside plate that squeezes the wire down to attach to the battery terminal. It was trouble to diagnose because I would have 12V to the dash and to the solenoid but once I turned the key to "START' everything would drop to 0V. Didn't find it until I measured from the top of the battery post to the positive wire at the battery and it would drop 12V across the connection if a tried to start. The negative terminal is also showing signs of considerable corrosion as well.

Six months ago, I replaced the battery terminals with new ones, cleaned the wire ends up well and thought I had nice connections for the foreseeable future. Still using the original battery ground/positive wires and took considerable effort to get them cleaned up but still just marginal in my opinion because of the built up gunk on the wire ends and possibly a ways down under the insulation.

Questions - How do you avoid battery terminal corrosion?
Should I replace the wires and start over?

If I try again, what terminal type should I use? And should I use some sort of corrosion prevention spray to keep this from happening again?

Looking for some advice from anyone who has gone thru this issue and has found the answers. Thanks in advance!
OldSchoolBlue84 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2017 at 12:45am
What kind of battery your using? Marine or regular automotive group 65 starting battery?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2017 at 6:31am
Kent,
New cables with crimped on terminals would be my suggestion. The "repair" battery terminals are always vulnerable to corrosion due to the exposed copper. Then a good cleaning of both the battery stud and cable terminal with a wire type terminal cleaner. There are also red and green felt pads that have a neutralizer in them that go over the battery stud. You may have seen them at the auto supply. They work and don't leave the mess like the old way of putting grease all over the termination.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
knewt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2017 at 8:00am
Battery is standard automotive.
I was already using the red/green felt pads. It definitely kept the corrosion down on the battery but the galvanized metal on the "repair" terminals are a mess. I'm wondering if the cleaning chemicals I used on the cleaning of the old wires didn't create the problem.

Anyways, I believe the crimped on terminals are the way to go for my situation.

What gage wire do I need?
Can I buy these at custom lengths or should I make my own lengths with new wire and a crimper tool?
Is there a good source for a place who will make custom lengths?
OldSchoolBlue84 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2017 at 10:31am
I had good success soldering my connections with the pre flux terminals. Very easy and purchased at NAPA auto store.
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2017 at 11:00am
+1^ Soldering is a great method when replacing the ends. Easily done and well worth the effort.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic