Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

woodruff key and fuel filter

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
BaccoBouncer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: woodruff key and fuel filter
    Posted: April-24-2017 at 12:12am
First year doing my Spring prep on the boat.
First question:
How the hell do you get the impeller on without the woodruff key falling off of the shaft as you slide it on? Is the key supposed to be more of a press fit and stay in place? Mine is a snug fit but when I push the impeller on it dislodges it. It's also an awkward position to work and the pump doesn't look like it comes off easily so I can't take it to a bench.
Second question:
I also am not sure where this fuel filter goes? Here "A" or Here "B"?
I searched a bunch on the key and couldn't find much on putting them on in hard to get to places. Seems most people just have a hard time getting them out. I did lube up the Impeller with coolant (didn't have soap handy). i woudl get it on and lined up with teh key but when I pushe dit off the key would up end and jam or just get pushed out and I could hear it "clink" on teh housing as it fell.
Thanks,
Adam
'97 21' Sport Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2017 at 1:48pm
Impeller shaft
'97 21' Sport Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2017 at 5:08pm
Adam,
Regarding the key, first make sure it fits the keyway in the new impeller smoothly. Check for rubber that may be in the keyway from the rubber overmolding of the hub. You can file the hub keyway sides with a slight taper as a lead in for the key. Install the key on the shaft tilting slightly downwards where it enters the impeller hub. From there, it's a matter of finding the spot where the impeller slides onto the key. It can be frustrating and may take a couple attempts.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2017 at 11:31am
I was thinking of shimming the key with paper ( about 0.003" per piece) so it is a snug fit and doesn't move in the key way as easily. I can't see any harm in it being in there. Thoughts?
'97 21' Sport Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2017 at 11:32am
So where does that fuel filter go? The big area canister or the little one? Doesn't look like it fits in the little one and the big one doesn't look like it is expected to be taken apart for regular maintenance.
'97 21' Sport Nautique
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2017 at 11:44am
Filter goes in A, the big canister, believe in 97' the canister is threaded so it will unscrew off. Many times that task may need to be done on a bench as the threads can be really difficult to break loose. Looks like you have the GM 350 Apex motor??
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2017 at 11:45am
It goes into A. The bottom unscrews from the part that has the hoses in it. Not an easy job some remove it from the boat and carefully put it into a vise to hold. They changed to a different style due to how difficult it is to get apart
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2017 at 11:47am
I Have been having a hard time figuring out which one. Nautique parts sent me the wrong distributor because they weren't sure Can you tell? It's PCM PLLPRR12TBI
Thanks
'97 21' Sport Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2017 at 11:48am
Would a strap wrench be a good tool to try with it still on the motor?
'97 21' Sport Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2017 at 11:49am
What is "B"?
'97 21' Sport Nautique
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2017 at 12:14pm
Really hard to tell from the pic but I am betting B is your low pressure fuel pump.
Also tough to tell what motor you have, it's a Chevy small block, in 97' it is either a 5.7HO Proski EFI or maybe the Apex???
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2017 at 12:33pm
If you post a few more pictures of the whole engine it would help. No problems with the paper on the keyway if that helps. I can't quite see in the picture, but I also think if you rotate the pump to get the keyway on the shaft facing up it would help you with the impeller install. Like Pete described there's kind of a "tipping point" where the angled key will line everything up and slide on. Not sure if that makes sense but I don't know how else to describe it.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2017 at 1:31pm
Adam,
Does the key look worn and or does the shaft keyway look stretched? Typically a woodruff key is a pretty tight fit. That .006 you're thinking of is a lot of shim!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2017 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by BaccoBouncer BaccoBouncer wrote:

Would a strap wrench be a good tool to try with it still on the motor?

Not sure if it's a good idea, but that is how I did it.

There is a good youtube video with someone going through it and replacing the filter.
96 Super Sport
Previously: 95 Sport Nautique, 1980 Ski Supreme
flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2017 at 2:54pm
I just installed a new impellor in my water pump..had same issue as you with the woodruff key falling out, as I was trying to put it all back together...Follow Pete's advice.....I did that same thing..I angled it a bit, and the parts slid together easily without pushing out the woodruff key. All works well.
'93 Ski Nautique NWZ, Air Boom Tower
Drink Tonight..for tomorrow We Ride!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2017 at 3:25pm
FYI. the paper trick worked great. Just wrapped a piece around the key when I put it in. As it got wet it basically turned to a fibery paste and created a perfect press fit. Impeller went right on because I could line up key without it sliding out.
Now for every other frustrating step.
Can't get water plug on right side of block back in. I wire wheeled the internal (dremel wire wheel that was worn down) and external threads and it still won't go in. I'm cautious to cross thread it. WTF it just came out of there and has been sitting still until today.

'97 21' Sport Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2017 at 4:02pm
Adam,
Chase the female threads in the block with a tap. Don't go too deep. You just want to clean up the threads. Then, get a new plug. I suggest brass.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2017 at 5:04pm
Ummmm. Not the first time I've done this. I got too excited and was putting it in the wrong hole. There is a hole right next to it that is about the same size.

'97 21' Sport Nautique
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2017 at 5:14pm
Well that's it then, turn in your keys for a week, you're grounded.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2017 at 9:16am
Yup
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2017 at 9:25am
Originally posted by BaccoBouncer BaccoBouncer wrote:

Ummmm. Not the first time I've done this. I got too excited and was putting it in the wrong hole. There is a hole right next to it that is about the same size.

Best line of the year so far, laugh every time I read it
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic