NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

NH lake property advise

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NH lake property advise
    Posted: April-24-2017 at 2:42am
Lots of experience on this site with on the water properties so I would like to pick your brains a bit.
I've made the decision to sell my current property and make the move to a lake for my full time property. I've been looking for a while now but the weather around here has got a lot of new stuff popping up.
Areas are southern nh- northern mass, desperately trying to keep commute within an hour to work.

My first question being. How small is too small of a body of water to enjoy the wonderful things we all do with our boats? In terms of acres or miles long I have a hard time picturing how quickly I will run out of space at 40mph. I've been using Google maps to measure rough distances from shore to shore in mileage. I find that acreage is kind of a hard judge, it's more in the overall shape.

What are your top must have items that you need in a lake before you would consider. (Within reason) I'm talking deal breaker items.

Right now my only make or break will be a place either already has or has the potential for a decent size garage. And deep enough water.
Any recommendations in the nh ma areas?
-Tony
1988 Barefoot nautique-454
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2017 at 12:44pm
Tony, at 40 mph a mile goes by in 80 seconds. We have a bunch of small lakes around us with running lengths ranging from 1.5 miles to as short as 3/4 mile. I cannot imagine buying a home on a lake that's less than 1.5 long. Biggest factor for me is how private (or not) the lake is, because traffic makes even a big lake shrink. Its of course no surprise to you that you'll need a close look at all restrictions any of these lakes have wrt horsepower limits, boat size, etc etc.

I had a friend who almost moved out there and he was struggling with the same decision. Nobody wants to live in Mass due to taxes, but NH does cost a lot more!
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2017 at 12:51pm
Just for some possible interesting reference and comparisons:

Small Lakes
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2017 at 1:30pm
Tim, I've got google earth up and it shows Deep Lake to be 1.66 miles long with a slight diagonal. That's a lot more than 3800 feet (Quinner's lake). I swim the lake in various directions and if it were only 3800 give or take, it would sure be a lot faster swim! We don't use the whole 1.66: probably get 1.3-1.4 max with turns but you get what I'm saying.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2017 at 1:48pm
Now I'm getting completely different measurements on Bing. Ugh. Weird
FredWSauer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FredWSauer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2017 at 3:53pm
I judge a lake by measuring with beer. My friend has a two beer lake and my lake is a 7 beer lake. The number of beers it takes at idle to get around the perimeter on a lovely Sunday cruise with the wife.
- FWS
1993 Ski Nautique
1978 Glastron T-160
1994 Weeres Pontoon - Wife's Boat
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2017 at 4:26pm
Quinn makes Deep lake incredibly large by your measure.
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2017 at 8:29pm
North of Boston commutable to salem ma? is tough for any big water that is boat friendly. mousam in maine is almost an hr commute. angle pond hampstead is smaller by a lot but pricey. there are a couple in the salem nh area but probably would feel like boating in a coffee cup by august. pretty limited i'd say
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2017 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Just for some possible interesting reference and comparisons:

Small Lakes

Great read thanks.
Thanks for the pointers, seems most of you guys ride lakes that are in and around 250 acres regularly.
So I realize within my commute circle is kind of narrowing down results greatly. But it is the only way that it is feasible for me.
To put in perspective a bit, the lake I normally trailer too is chebacco lake @209acres. It becomes too shallow for the bfn later in the season when we have a dry summer like last.
I don't go there on the weekends because it gets too crowded. Has a public launch that gets crowded. And weekdays usually the only people I have to dodge are the bass fisherman. I am not sure how this lake is fed but the fact the depth is never predictable I know I would not want to be on that Lake. Also the water is poop brown.
My current lakes of interest are
Little island pond @155 acres
Big island pond @500 acres
Arlington mill res @270 acres
Cobbet pond @335 acres
Northwood lake @650 acres ( has a nautique dealer)
Pawtuckaway lake @ 780 acres
There may be others I'm unaware of that fit my bill.

I am limited to just a tablet for my Google Earth uses so I don't have the full version and it doesn't let me put measurements onto the map so i cant post up pics like the small lake thread. I've just been using a ruler and holding it to the screen haha.

I think the only lake in question is little island and since there is a decent looking place for sale on it now it makes me question if 155acre is too small. That's probably a 2 beer max lake.
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2017 at 1:26am
Our lake..... errr..... pond is 75 acres. Way too small for my liking but it's the only one that fits my constraints. Public lakes get too busy and crowded everywhere. If you need to make it a more beer lake go around more than once! Even with the limitations I enjoy it more than I ever imagined possible.
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2017 at 2:24am
Originally posted by fanofccfan fanofccfan wrote:

If you need to make it a more beer lake go around more than once!

This is a great point. Also it would depend alot on who is drinking and how fast they drink.

Its good to hear you dont get bored toi easily of it, i dont think the novelty of having the boat sitting ready to go at all times will wear off with me no matter how big the body of water is. Little island is a very private pond compared to most of the others i am looking but maybe with that plus, the negatives include its size.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2017 at 10:50am
Little Island gives you about a 2800 foot straight run. About 500 feet more than mine, small but doable. Big lakes are great, with their tourability, maybe restaurants and bars and lots of smooth coves to choose from, Mad houses on weekends, but most lakes big and small are. If a small lake is in the location you want to be, then they can work. and even have some advantages, like in our case, lots of quiet time.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2017 at 10:57am
So right about compromise! Quinner and I enjoy a very private setting and even on weekends it can be very quiet. We do sacrifice convenience--like restaurants (only one), no gas on the lake, and everybody can come out at once and that's the end of slalom or any chance at footing.

A few miles away is the Fox Chain--7000 acres of lakes they are the opposite--but very awesome during he week. Weekends--read somewhere that it's the busiest body of water stateside measured in boats per acre. All I know is if you fell out of your boat, it would be like playing an advanced level of the video game Frogger trying to swim to shore.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2017 at 12:50pm
For me, much as a very small lake with privacy is nice, I find that I need more space and more of interest. Our summer house is on Bow Lake in Strafford NH, about a 15 minute drive from Northwood Lake. It's 1150 acres, and has a bunch of islands and some coves. Skiing is best morning and evening like most lakes, mornings so few people are out that we generally get good water. Weekdays are awesome at any time. For paddleboarding and kayaking it's big enough and the islands make it interesting to paddle on. And, when you are "out on the boat" you are out of sight of the house so it feels like you are getting away. Fairly deep in some areas, very clean.

Northwood Lake, by contrast, is 650 acres. Great ski lake, I've skied there a ton, but it's shallow all over and while not dirty it seems much less clear. It has basically one island, lake is long and narrow, just not as interesting to be out on.

Hope this helps. While the focus may be skiing/boarding, from a family and friends point of view a lot of people (including me) like to paddle so that's a factor for us.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2017 at 11:27am
So one of the places I looked at abuts an association beach, which I think 6 properties belong to. It has a couple docks on it. I have heard this can be a nightmare at times because a lot of these associations have no real hierarchy in which to reciprocate any issues that may present themselves. It doesn't seem like an overly huge issue to me, Anyone run into this issue before?
greggboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greggboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2017 at 3:52am
Do you have any suggestions for renovating property?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic