Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Transmission

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
winniskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote winniskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transmission
    Posted: April-24-2017 at 10:49am
My shifter is harder to move in the transmission engagement range than it is in the throttle range. It is not bad, it is just not smooth or easy. It makes is challenging for the kids, particularly when they are learning to dock the boat. Disconnecting the shifting cable from the lever on the transmission indicates that the lever creates drag that causes the issue. Is there anything I can do to lessen the drag created by the lever on the transmission? The transmission otherwise operates well. Any ideas?
Jim
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2017 at 12:05pm
I'd look at the alignment between your bracket that mounts on the bell housing to hold the shift cable and the lever itself. Misalignment there can cause the cable end to bind in the tube that it slides in. If the cable is disconnected there's no binding and it shifts smoothly but doesn't do you much good since it's disconnected

A little hard to explain but looking at it you should be able to see what I mean

Or does the lever on the transmission itself move hard if you shift it with the cable disconnected?
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2017 at 12:11pm
Ken is spot on. The trans lever itself should be very easy to move. Also, inspect your brass cable ends for excessive wear. That can also cause binding.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote winniskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2017 at 12:21pm
The lever on the transmission itself is hard to move if you shift it with the cable disconnected. It move smoothly, but it takes some pressure,
Jim
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2017 at 12:25pm
If a velvet drive, the shift body can be easily removed and cleaned... I have had to do this to free one up before.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2017 at 2:12pm
Jim,
Tim is correct that the shift spool can be removed and cleaned up. Check the bore of the spool for burrs. Also, install new O rings on the spool.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote winniskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2017 at 3:46pm
For reference for other new DYIers, here is a link to video that seems helpful.

Where can I get the o-ring? What should I use to lubricate it when I reinstall the spool? And which brand and model transmission do I have?

Your help is much appreciated.
Jim
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2017 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by winniskier winniskier wrote:

Where can I get the o-ring? What should I use to lubricate it when I reinstall the spool? And which brand and model transmission do I have?

My crystal ball is a little fuzzy, but I'll take a guess that you're talking about a 97 ski nautique with a 1:23 to 1 PCM transmission so I bet a PCM dealer would have what you need and you could lubricate it with transmission fluid.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2017 at 6:06pm
click on this link for a manual for a PCM transmission It's a free download from the SkiDim website. Pretty nice on their part.

trans manual

It'll probably be more helpful than the video of a different brand transmission a few posts back..

Try Jody at Fl Inboards, I bet he'll be able to help.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2017 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Originally posted by winniskier winniskier wrote:

My crystal ball is a little fuzzy, but I'll take a guess that you're talking about a 97 ski nautique with a 1:23 to 1 PCM transmission so I bet a PCM dealer would have what you need and you could lubricate it with transmission fluid.

I'd go to the Ace Hardware for the O ring! They are all Buna-N so good for ATF.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2017 at 8:12pm
When you look at the exploded view in the manual (page TS 2-2) there are a couple of thrust washers (part 66) and a thrust bearing (part 67) at the end of the spool valve that could have an effect on ease of movement of the shift lever if they're messed up
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic