Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

79 Mustang 17 timing cover chewed up

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
KooK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KooK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 79 Mustang 17 timing cover chewed up
    Posted: April-25-2017 at 6:07pm
1979 Correct Craft Mustang 17 SBF 302ci

The timing cover on the front was chewed up from corrosion and I'm having a heck of a time finding a new cover. There's plenty out there for cars but the design is a little different. Wondering if anybody could help me out.

Thanks!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2017 at 6:25pm
Aaron,
Is it corroded all the way through? Can the gasket surface be cleaned up? Since you didn't mention the marinizer, I assume it's a Commander??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2017 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by KooK KooK wrote:

1979 Correct Craft Mustang 17 SBF 302ci

The timing cover on the front was chewed up from corrosion and I'm having a heck of a time finding a new cover. There's plenty out there for cars but the design is a little different. Wondering if anybody could help me out.

Thanks!

Try Jody at Fl Inboards, he usually seems to have some in his parts collection for a reasonable price.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2017 at 6:44pm
Does it look like these

timing covers

last time I looked they were over 800 bucks list price new from PCM if they're even available
KooK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KooK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2017 at 8:50pm
8122pbrainard - Yeah, sorry it's a Commander, I guess I'm not sure what the marinizer is. Where the water pump mates to it is just rough as all get out. I had a mess of a time getting the water pump to mostly seal last season (and it would always leak at least a little).

Keno - Yup, those look like them! At $800, I would JB Weld the surfaces and block them down. That blue one would be tempting to get and bead blast the paint off of. The surfaces look good but I guess it's difficult to tell with paint over them.
KooK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KooK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2017 at 6:04pm
Back on this topic. Does anybody know the difference between the timing cover for an automotive application and marine application (links provided below). It looks like the marine has two places for bolts (I only used one for a ground it looks like, otherwise unused), the front crank seal may be larger (but maybe not, looks like a seal is installed on the ebay one), and then just iron vs aluminum. I can do without the extra bolt holes and with a different material, the crank seal worries me, but if it's the same and it will work, I really just want to get an automotive one if I can and save myself a few hundred dollars.

Automotive:
http://www.cjponyparts.com/california-pony-cars-timing-chain-cover-aluminum-289-302-351w-1965-1967/p/TCC5/?gclid=CjwKEAjw1PPJBRDq9dGHivbXmhcSJAATZd_BLQrnE3KyG49QhMwEqwBO92VanU9FpoSyqRZfFT2VPxoC9_nw_wcB

Marine:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marine-Timing-Chain-Cover-Ford-302-351W-BRAND-NEW-/282137064109?hash=item41b0adf2ad:g:VE8AAOSwd4tTrc8f&vxp=mtr
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2017 at 6:09pm
No raw water pump mount on the automotive version
Marine version-

Automotive-
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2017 at 6:29pm
How about some pictures of yours showing the corrosion? Maybe yours being a Commander the water pump does not mount there? Pictures of the old cover sure would help........
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KooK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KooK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2017 at 11:09pm
This is before I tore the engine down, my raw water pump is in front of the fuel pump and nothing except the engine ground is mounted on those tabs, which is easily moved. As far as the corrosion goes, I've already sand blasted the timing cover down, I need to do a little sanding and rust removal but like I said, I can always put JB weld and block it smooth if I need too, I just would rather not go that route. Although I really do not like the raw water pump where it sits right now because to tighten it, I have to loosen 3 bolts on the timing cover which has caused a bad leak in the past (although, as previously mentioned, my timing cover is kinda crappy anyway).

http://imgur.com/a/Gxek2
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2017 at 1:45am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

How about some pictures of yours showing the corrosion? Maybe yours being a Commander the water pump does not mount there? Pictures of the old cover sure would help........

This is correct at least on on my commander. PCM mounts with that set up but mine mounts above fuel pump on opposite site and use the bolts of the block water pump.
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic