NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stringer Advice - Repair?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
SN2001_1984 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN2001_1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stringer Advice - Repair?
    Posted: April-26-2017 at 4:27pm
Noticing my 84 SN has some secondary stringer issues starting. The primaries are really solid and looks to by 90% of the secondarys are good [hammer tap check] and floor is solid.

So I'm not ready to dive into a full repair but wondering if anyone has done any small repair in specific areas.
Anyone ever use Git Rot and inject into soft areas with any success?
https://www.amazon.com/Boat-Life-Git-Rot-Penetrating-Epoxy/dp/B0000AZ8MQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1493221040&sr=8-2&keywords=git+rot

I assume best thing to do is cut the portion out and replace......

Any thoughts/advice is appreciated!

Issue areas::

1984 Ski Nautique 2001 :: 351
Original factory ordered color combo from Silver Spray Sports: Fenton MI
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2017 at 8:07pm
I would leave it alone until next winter, & do a proper repair then.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2017 at 8:53pm
Denny,
I agree with Chris. Run it as is until you do a complete stringer job.
Git Rot? A couple of problems and the biggest is the wood MUST be completely dry. You would never get it dried out in the boat. It's like trying to dry a sponge inside a baggie. The other is if you can treat an area, the area next to the Git Rot goes twice as fast!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN2001_1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2017 at 11:28pm
Thanks for the advice guys. How do I know how long before the stringers 'need' to be done...what signs should I look for - or am I already there?   Its really just along side the muffler's on the secondary stringers. Just wondering if this is something that needs to be done in the next year or I have another 5 years? Also is it advised to do all the stringers or try to fix the damaged areas separately?
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2017 at 12:02am
What I have seen on the "2001" series boats is 'raising' of the floors in certain areas, especially around the pylon at the front of the motor box. This indicates water-saturated foam, and a full stringer job is the only true remedy.
One of the areas that causes this is the swim board brackets that "lag" into the transom.
Years ago, I came up with a removable swim platform bracket (I think the first) and was selling to Correct Craft. I installed many sets, and 50% of the boats I saw would have water pour out the screw holes on at least one side of the boat. At the time, the boats were only a few years old.
A friend of mine was a promo rep, Dave Doidge, here in NorCal.
When he would get a new boat, he would mix a cup of resin filler, and go all around the corners of the floor/stringers and patch the seams and holes.
CC was using a very course-weave woven, and there were visible holes in the 'creases'.
Anyway, if/when you do a full stringer job, stop the floor short of the transom, and incorporate an 'open' area where the platform screws penetrate. That way they will not penetrate the foam-filled cavity, and, imho, the boat will survive much, much longer.
Sorry for rambling. Brian
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2017 at 6:12am
Originally posted by SN2001_1984 SN2001_1984 wrote:

Thanks for the advice guys. How do I know how long before the stringers 'need' to be done...what signs should I look for - or am I already there?   Also is it advised to do all the stringers or try to fix the damaged areas separately?

Denny,
#1 How's the alignment?

#2 Do all the stringers at once.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN2001_1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2017 at 9:03am
Pete, great question. I had the velvet drive out this winter and last - remember my first inboard boat so I learned through a bit of trial and reading here on the forum last spring when attempting my first alignment. I did struggle a bit to get alignment correct last year - I plan to put the velvet drive in the next couple of weeks. [currently out as my forward clutch pack wasn't working properly]. I'll report back my findings after I get it on the water and test it out.
2 things that have me a bit concerned already ::
1. I have what I would call uncommon wear around the shaft log 'nut' on my old prop shaft.
2. I remember getting a vibration when I hit waves last summer.....

My old prop shaft does have about .004-.005 of run out so it was slightly out as well.

Thanks
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2017 at 2:28pm
Denny,
I asked about the alignment because it's one indication that the stingers are bad.

The wear on the shaft gland nut is most likely caused by the shaft run out and alignment but, it can also happen when the shaft isn't close to center in the log. Yes, the gland is connected via the rubber hose but it can only compensate so much. Before you put the velvet back in, check your strut alignment. Keep in mind alignment does start there. The shaft should be happy (turn freely) in the cutlass bearing when the shaft is close to center in the log. Maybe it's time for an ARE shaft system?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2017 at 2:44pm
The cradle (80+ on the SN) is going to hold the motor in place and save alignment even if the stringers are mush. Not a valid question or concern on a boat so equipped.

I am assuming you have reached into those cracked areas where the floor and secondaries meet and confirmed there's rotten wood in there? The cracking is common and sometimes the wood is solid- in which case a proper repair on the crack wouldn't be a bandaid. If there is indeed mush back there, you're on borrowed time... not much point in trying to seal it back up.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2017 at 4:25pm
Denny,
When you install the trans, you will be doing an alignment so it will be a chance to get a good idea of how well the cradle is anchored. I don't agree with Tim since you can't hold anything in a position with mush for wood even surrounded by glass. I caution you as it may look good static but not under load. From your description and pictures, I don't feel you at the mush point yet like someone's thought process!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2017 at 5:08pm
really?

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2017 at 5:13pm
Lol nice try Pete. It's true whether you "feel" it or not... seen it several times. I suspect your experience with cradled boats may be lacking.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2017 at 6:57pm
Denny,
As I mentioned, I certainly do not feel you have anything to worry about with your stringers at this point. My suggestion of checking the alignment isn't simply cautionary but from experience on several cradled engines. One did have some pretty bad stringers and after getting the alignment perfect I told the owner to bring it back in a week. He did and the complete cradle had shifted to port. Not much I could do except tell the owner a stringer job was needed.

BTW, if you have any questions regarding propping you boat, Tim is the guy. He without a doubt has the knowledge and experience.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN2001_1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2017 at 7:02pm
Thanks guys, as in my other post from yesterday, new ARE shaft is in and velvet drive is going in next couple of weeks. I will align and see how it runs on the water and keep my eyes on it.
Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic