Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Adding a spair tire mount

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
JD ski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adding a spair tire mount
    Posted: April-27-2017 at 7:30pm
I decided to add a spare tire mount to my boat trailer. The trailer never had a spare tire mount set up from the factory. So I purchased one on line, it appeared heavy duty. It was a bolt on set up that had the tire too close to the boat. I took the part and trailer to a local welding shop with pictures of a lock set up I have on my Century's trailer. The photos are the result of the work I had done. I was happy with the work

JD ski, slicing, dicing, and shredding since 1981

1999 Air Nautique, GT40 Pro Boss, Trail Rite trailer
1975 Century Resorter
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2017 at 7:32pm
Nice job. That will serve you well.
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2017 at 8:11pm

Nice work
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2017 at 8:50pm
Jim,
Great idea on the lock. I've never had much luck with the locks that you use instead of a lug nut. Too much winter salt gets to them. Regarding the mount, I went through a similar issue when I bought one for my utility trailer. Turned out the rims on the trailer had a Chevy bolt hole pattern and all the mounts I found were made for Ford patterns!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2017 at 10:12am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Great idea on the lock. I've never had much luck with the locks that you use instead of a lug nut. Too much winter salt gets to them.

I have never had a problem with winter salt in my locking lug nuts, I guess I just don't tow my boat in the winter as much as you do Petey
JD ski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2017 at 10:31am
It took a while to find a matching wheel. When i ordered the holder it came in two different wheel fitments. Then when I received it there were four different holes in the backing plate with directions for which holes to use for different bolt patterns. My set up is 5 on 4.5 centers and it fit perfectly. I planned all along to have it welded in place. I read someone else did the same process but I do not think they added a lock. The lock just seemed a natural idea to get added while at the welding shop and it is so simple and clean looking.

1975 Century Resorter
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2017 at 10:34am
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Great idea on the lock. I've never had much luck with the locks that you use instead of a lug nut. Too much winter salt gets to them.

I have never had a problem with winter salt in my locking lug nuts, I guess I just don't tow my boat in the winter as much as you do Petey

Chrissy,
I was going to put a boat in the water today but this is what we got yesterday:

Also, I do have a spare on the utility trailer and it's used often since the lesbianmobile won't haul anything large and over 8' long!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2017 at 10:42am

I was going to put a boat in the water today but this is what we got yesterday:

That just ain't right.
JD ski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2017 at 10:47am
We are predicted to have 75 degrees Sunday and my son wants to try out his new 5 mm wet suit. We might get out but it would not surprise me to see snow.

1975 Century Resorter
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2017 at 10:48am
Well so much for that summer. You were most likely scheduled to work that weekend anyway. On the plus side you get another year out of the impellers
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2017 at 10:57am
Here are the terrible conditions I had to endure yesterday....taken after a couple sets in my first after work outing of the season.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2017 at 10:59am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Well so much for that summer. You were most likely scheduled to work that weekend anyway. On the plus side you get another year out of the impellers

Gary how could you forget to mention points along with the impellers/?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2017 at 12:22pm
Do'oh
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic