Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

95 Ski Transmission help

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
NautiqSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NautiqSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 95 Ski Transmission help
    Posted: April-27-2017 at 11:28pm
I have a 95 Ski with around 1800 hours. Just got it out of storage and ran it on the trailer, put it into gear just to check the linkages and in both forward and reverse the transmission is making a noise like a bearing going out. Two questions; Could it be because I am running it out of the water without a load? Considering the number of hours, does anyone know a reputable shop for transmission rebuilds? (preferably in the southeast, I'm willing to ship, but I'd rather not) Thanks in advance.
2005 SV211 (upgrading soon - like March 10)
1995 Ski Nautique

Water will cause many men to be rich of the soul but poor of the wallet.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2017 at 11:42pm
Did you wet the cutlass bearing where the propshaft passes through the strut ?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
bb12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bb12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2017 at 12:08am
It will squeal pretty good if the cutlass is dry.
1989 Ski Nautique 2001
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2017 at 10:40am
heh, reminds me of..
Patient: ."Doctor, it hurts when i do this..." Doctor: "well, don't do that."

Yes,, don't put it in gear when dry. at all. The business end of the cutlass bushing is rubber, and you can smoke it unless its saturated.

Usually don't rebuild a transmission unless its symptomatic. Wait till a water test. to decide.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2017 at 10:48am
Michael,
There are several links to threads in the FAQ thread regarding running a boat out of the water. Besides not putting it in gear without wetting and soaping the cutlass, they also explain the importance of getting cooling water to the engine and RWP. Hopefully you did hook it up to the hose or bucket.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
NautiqSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NautiqSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2017 at 1:44pm
I had a hose on the cutlass bearing (and to the engine), so it was definitely wet. The noise is from the transmission housing, not the cutlass bearing.
I'm about to put it into the water and test it further.
This isn't about how I ran it, it's about does anyone know a reputable shop if it does need repair?
2005 SV211 (upgrading soon - like March 10)
1995 Ski Nautique

Water will cause many men to be rich of the soul but poor of the wallet.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2017 at 2:35pm
Fantastic Finish Marine in Ohio
SkiDim for a new one
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2017 at 2:38pm
Michael,
Report back after you get it in the water and seeing if the noise is from the trans. It could be a damper plate in the bell housing?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
bb12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bb12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2017 at 2:41pm
Is Fantastic Finish still the place for trans rebuild? Didn't know since Eric isn't there anymore.
1989 Ski Nautique 2001
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2017 at 2:55pm
Fantastic finish is hit or miss now. I wouldn't mess with them and find another shop that's highly regarded.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2017 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Fantastic finish is hit or miss now. I wouldn't mess with them and find another shop that's highly regarded.

Yes, we've been hearing some bad about FFM since Eric left and Vince took over. It's a shame since it seemed Eric did know his transmissions and did a good job. I just went looking for FFM's web site at it appears it's gone as well.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
bb12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bb12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2017 at 12:16am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Yes, we've been hearing some bad about FFM since Eric left and Vince took over. It's a shame since it seemed Eric did know his transmissions and did a good job. I just went looking for FFM's web site at it appears it's gone as well.

Pete, I found this
1989 Ski Nautique 2001
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2017 at 4:09pm
I was wondering if the website was up to date last I heard they were in Canton Oh and the site says Medina where Eric was.
I called the number and sure enough I got their answering machine so I guess it's up to date. Good to hear we need a good tranny shop.
OldSchoolBlue84 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2017 at 7:06pm
Yes still open. Vince was very helpful over the phone when I had some tranny questions.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic