NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Car issues

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Chevy350 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevy350 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Car issues
    Posted: April-30-2017 at 6:37pm
Well with the boat still in storage, nothing fun going on around here. Recently bought a car, it's a 2003 mazdaspeed protege. Had my fun with it for a few months then Thursday it started acting up. The car is grinding pretty bad in every gear. Mostly 1st and reverse. Shifter linkage seems good, bushings seem good. Anyone have any idea? Cars aren't mine and my dad's strong suit.
1972 Mustang
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2017 at 7:18pm
Clutch adjustment is what I'd check first. If it's hydraulic the cylinder could be leaking or the linkages at the pedal or at the clutch end could be worn
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Chevy350 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevy350 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2017 at 7:43pm
I think the clutch is working correct because the problem happens after I shift into gear, 1st or reverse and most likely 2nd thru 5th. Once in gear when letting out the clutch the force of moving the car causes what seems like the gear shift popping out of gear and only then do I get a grinding of the gears.
1972 Mustang
fgroce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fgroce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2017 at 9:40pm
When the car is stopped when you push in the clutch with the engine running and try to put it in gear, does it grind the gears. If so look under the hood next to the brake master cylinder. There may be a smaller version next to it. If so then this is the master cylinder for the clutch. Make sure it is full of Dot 3 brake fluid. May be able to bleed the slave cylinder, if it low on fluid the slave cylinder is probably failing
FGroce
88 Ski Nautique
For 28 years
Now 2002 Ski Nautique
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2017 at 9:53pm
its pretty obvious that it is a transmission issue . Not just a clutch issue. At least it is to me when i read what he is saying.
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
JD ski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2017 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

its pretty obvious that it is a transmission issue . Not just a clutch issue. At least it is to me when i read what he is saying.

I agree, do you know the car history. Did a kid have it that abused it? Doing burnouts for all his friends and speed shifting. A Speed 3 is Mazda's hot rod. A youth oriented car. If you know the history this could eliminate the abuse option but it still sounds like a trans issue. The other opinions all sound right on target if the grinding occurred trying to put the car in gear. But when it is in gear and letting the clutch out could be bent or broken shift forks, or something else.
JD ski, slicing, dicing, and shredding since 1981

1999 Air Nautique, GT40 Pro Boss, Trail Rite trailer
1975 Century Resorter
Chevy350 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevy350 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2017 at 10:38am
Well now the car won't even engage, my dad and I were toubleshooting yesterday and still can't come up with anything. Have a little suspicion that it could be the throw out bearing. When sitting in neutral, you can hear a noise that sounds like something is rubbing/grinding. As soon as the clutch is pushed in, it goes away.
1972 Mustang
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2017 at 3:17pm
not the throw out bearing then.... I agree with the others, you have a trans issue.   sounds like the input shaft bearing, or something that is common to all of the gears. don't drive it, if that bearing seizes, you'll have a real problem. from your description, it just sounds like it is starting to seize.
d4carlon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4carlon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2017 at 9:05am
Try to inspect the clutch pedal adjustment also.
Chevy350 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevy350 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2017 at 5:56pm
After letting the car sit for way too long, my dad and I did get the trans out and went through it all. Came up with the differential went out on it. Finally saved up enough money from working and hopefully going to order the part tonight. Anything else I should inspect before ordering it tonight?
1972 Mustang
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2017 at 9:59pm
If you aren't going to keep it very long, I would throw it back together. Otherwise there is no end to what could be replaced 'while you are in there'.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2017 at 10:25pm
Justin,
Have you looked into just buying a rebuilt transaxle?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2017 at 10:47pm
Sounds like a bearing on either the main or counter shaft. I would just get a used unit and replace it. Or rebuilt if you plan on keeping it a while.
greggboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greggboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2017 at 5:59am
Yes, i think this is transmission issue.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic