NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help Noob Determine Interceptor Engine Size

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help Noob Determine Interceptor Engine Size
    Posted: May-11-2017 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by vandykd3 vandykd3 wrote:

To clarify, these boats are made of wood and fiberglass, right? So the sides are paint on fiberglass? How about the white top? I used to refinish cars so I've got a 7"/9" buffing/grinding wheel and an orbital polisher to sic on it. Not familiar with wet sanding, but I'm only a YouTube education away from feeling trained It's way more fun to day dream about cosmetics because after I read the threads on stringers, I'm ***************g scared!

Fiberglass hull. The only wood is in the framework in the bottom of the hull, i.e. the stringers and associated framework, Footboard and in your case, front seat frames (maybe?) are wood. If the boat has not been messed with, there is no paint. The hull and deck are gel coat on fiberglass. Looks to be factory colors so I would say it is still the original gel coat.
vandykd3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vandykd3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2017 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

Great lookin boat. Love the color. THANK the lord it is not a Gen 1...
Originally posted by fanofccfan fanofccfan wrote:

That shade of green when wet sanded and buffed out will be way cool. Enjoy the process of restoration. But be careful.....it may start to consume you and you will want more and more and more!

Thanks and I agree. To clarify, these boats are made of wood and fiberglass, right? So the sides are paint on fiberglass? How about the white top? I used to refinish cars so I've got a 7"/9" buffing/grinding wheel and an orbital polisher to sic on it. Not familiar with wet sanding, but I'm only a YouTube education away from feeling trained It's way more fun to day dream about cosmetics because after I read the threads on stringers, I'm ***************g scared!
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2017 at 11:59am
That shade of green when wet sanded and buffed out will be way cool. Enjoy the process of restoration. But be careful.....it may start to consume you and you will want more and more and more!
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2017 at 10:01am

By the way, are boats "shes"? Are you supposed to name yours?    

I believe that to be the general rule/guideline. Unless it is a ship of war - they always seem to be named for men. I guess a lot of cargo ships too, so maybe not, all though even boats named after men are still referred to "She." You're right it is pretty confusing...
vandykd3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vandykd3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2017 at 9:36am

And a gratuitous picture of my Mustang-

[/QUOTE]

Gary, your 'Stang is gorgeous! I am now inspired to someday restore mine to a (hopefully) similar glory... with a sweet tower on it, though    Let's just hope it doesn't take ten years to start like it did Pete

Pete, thanks for the info and I'll definitely be checking that out after I get the engine tuned up. I'm so excited to work on it. Too bad I'll have to spend this Sunday with my mom   I can only hope the stringers are good, but with the condition the boats in, I'm a little concerned. Oh well, one thing at a time, I guess.

By the way, are boats "shes"? Are you supposed to name yours?    

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2017 at 2:25am

Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

I'm on my phone and have fat fingers

Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

I don't even try it on the phone unless I really have no other choice

You're good

You know, you could activate the microphone that's on your keyboard and simply speak your replies. Of course, be sure to proof read!

oh boy...you can talk to your computer and it will do what you want it to?

no more f12 for this guy!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2017 at 1:29am
Great lookin boat. Love the color. THANK the lord it is not a Gen 1...
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2017 at 10:50pm

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

How are the stringers? That would be my concern before you go after the cosmetics. Do you know when the last time an engine/prop shaft/strut alignment was done?

Crap, I just Googled what stringers are and I'm pretty nervous. After I finish tuning up the engine, I will do the research on exactly how I figure out the condition of the stringers. As far as the alignment goes, I'm sure it has not been done in a long time. I imagine that something I should probably take it to our local boat mechanic for?

David,
Have you found the FAQ thread in the maintenance section yet? Lots of links to great threads on almost any subject. Check it out and if you don't find an answer, we're always around to help out. There's even a link to a fantastic thread by Tim Morfoot on how to check the stringers. There's even a video in it.

Regarding the alignment, it should be checked and most here do it themselves but, the condition of the stringers could influence alignment. If the stringers are bad, then they may not hold the engine position.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2017 at 10:36pm

Guys, help a noob out. I'm not getting the Barracuda/Mustang jokes      

Yours is a Mustang somewhat different from a Cuda
Here is a Cuda-

And a gratuitous picture of my Mustang-

Cuda is a bit longer and wider but the big tell tail sign is smooth hull under the gunnel. A Mustang like yours and mine has the molded in "flash" right under it's gunnel.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
vandykd3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vandykd3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2017 at 10:20pm

How are the stringers? That would be my concern before you go after the cosmetics. Do you know when the last time an engine/prop shaft/strut alignment was done?

Crap, I just Googled what stringers are and I'm pretty nervous. After I finish tuning up the engine, I will do the research on exactly how I figure out the condition of the stringers. As far as the alignment goes, I'm sure it has not been done in a long time. I imagine that something I should probably take it to our local boat mechanic for?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2017 at 9:59pm

I realize this boats not in the best shape. Sooner rather than later, I'd like to reupholster the engine cover, put new carpet in and get some dash gauges working. As of right now, only the rpms works

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
vandykd3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vandykd3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2017 at 9:39pm

The model is a Barracuda.

Pete is seeing red so bad he thinks a Mustang is a 'Cuda

Guys, help a noob out. I'm not getting the Barracuda/Mustang jokes     
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Not sure if you have ever pulled a wakeboarder with your boat yet, if not be aware that if you have a big guy back there and he takes a hard pull from wide out that tiny hull is about going to end up on it's side and you will really need to drive that thing to keep it going where you were previously aimed.
Brave of you to post those pics though, great job!!

Brave or naive, quinner I now see I'm in the purist's den

My 6'8" brother wakeboards behind it. We're skinny, though, so I haven't noticed any dangerous pulls yet. I'll be sure to have that possibility on my radar, though, thanks!

I realize this boats not in the best shape. Sooner rather than later, I'd like to reupholster the engine cover, put new carpet in and get some dash gauges working. As of right now, only the rpms works
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2017 at 9:12pm
That's a Doozy, lol.
Not sure if you have ever pulled a wakeboarder with your boat yet, if not be aware that if you have a big guy back there and he takes a hard pull from wide out that tiny hull is about going to end up on it's side and you will really need to drive that thing to keep it going where you were previously aimed.
Brave of you to post those pics though, great job!!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2017 at 8:48pm

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2017 at 8:45pm
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2017 at 7:47pm

Oops double post, I was too distracted thinking about Pete and Skutsch simultaneously having "the big one" when they saw the pictures.

I'm still alive!   
David,
Ken is correct that it is your boat, you got it for free so lets get it running so you can enjoy it. The model is a Barracuda.
BTW, it's not as bad as the wood Atom that had a home made steel tower on it!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2017 at 7:32pm

Yea you never really told us what it actually is

It's a 1968 Correct Craft that we got from my uncle (for free!). At some point, a fabricated steel tow cage was installed over the windshield area. I'll take a pic of it soon and post it. I love this boat. It sits so low in the water and sounds killer on the water!

By the way, is the carburetor indeed the 2100?

Indeed it is an Autolite 2100

Oops double post, I was too distracted thinking about Pete and Skutsch simultaneously having "the big one" when they saw the pictures.

It your boat, do what you want with it and enjoy it.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2017 at 7:31pm

It's a 1968 Correct Craft that we got from my uncle (for free!). At some point, a fabricated steel tow cage was installed over the windshield area. I'll take a pic of it soon and post it. I love this boat. It sits so low in the water and sounds killer on the water!

Indeed it is an Autolite 2100
vandykd3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vandykd3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2017 at 7:31pm

Oh no, oh no, I hope this isn't a 1st gen ski that someone put a tower on.! Oh gee,z that might kill me

David,
I sure agree with Steve and am even wondering if you should post a picture of a classic with a tower.
Steve,
In David's first pictures, you can see side pockets so it may be a Cuda or Stang?

Well, since it wasn't me who (possibly) mutilated it, I can't take any blame so lay down your stones, check it out, and opine   

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2017 at 6:42pm

Oh no, oh no, I hope this isn't a 1st gen ski that someone put a tower on.! Oh gee,z that might kill me

David,
I sure agree with Steve and am even wondering if you should post a picture of a classic with a tower.
Steve,
In David's first pictures, you can see side pockets so it may be a Cuda or Stang?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2017 at 6:17pm
vandykd3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vandykd3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2017 at 6:14pm

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2017 at 12:14am
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
vandykd3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vandykd3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2017 at 10:48pm

You're good

You know, you could activate the microphone that's on your keyboard and simply speak your replies. Of course, be sure to proof read!

Anyway, I guess the only thing I need to do now is Facebook Live the whole process and you guys and comment in real time   [<:o)]    I'll be sure to spritz the hull with some Axe Body Spray when I'm done so all the pontoons go wild.

Seriously, though, it seems you've hooked me with all the info I need to head to NAPA. A special shout to Keno and Gary S and to everyone who's added some knowledge. I seriously couldn't have done it without you. Stay tuned for my next thread where I solicit advice and know-how about restoring it to a former ascetic glory!   
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2017 at 10:05pm

You're good
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2017 at 10:01pm
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2017 at 10:00pm
Wow Gary

We're in sync today, my reply was longer and I type just as slow as you so I must have started typing first

But again, we agree
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2017 at 9:58pm
Dang missed it by that much. I would like to add change your plug wires one at a time, your neighbors might not know the reverse rotation firing order.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2017 at 9:57pm

The numbers on that tag that's on the float bowel screw is what you need,that's an original Autolite Ford carb. Had the same on my Holman Moody. Napa might have access to a kit

Looks like an Autolite 2100 to me.

That tag screwed to the right front of the fuel bowl cover will have the info you need for parts, rebuild kit etc.

I think that was the original equipment marine carburetor on your engine back then although it probably didn't have all the features that a later marine carburetor does.

Rebuild parts or a kit are available and they're a very dependable carburetor.

You know guys, the dumb thing is I saw that tag (Obviously, it's sitting right there!) but the grease was so heavy on it I thought it was the patina of the metal and nothing was written on it anymore.   Hahaha. You're right of course, it's an autolite.

So, in addition to that master list of all the advice you two and everyone else gave me, I just need the info from that tag and NAPA should be able to sleuth down the correct rebuild kit? Out of curiosity, how hard is it to rebuild a carburetor? Is it even necessary? Can it simply be cleaned? I want this thing ready to rock so I'm willing to dive into whatever you tell me to as long as you believe I'm not getting in over my head.

Last question, when it needs a new battery, do I get a marine battery?

Well Gary will probably beat me to an answer but starting with the battery question, just an automotive battery or a marine STARTING battery is fine. If you get a marine DEEP CYCLE battery you'll cause several people on here to have symptoms resembling a mild stroke so don't get one of those. Besides they're more expensive too

It's nice to have a carburetor kit on hand if you're tearing into it....just in case.

Take advantage of those neighbors you mentioned, they should have carburetor experience and you can learn from them. Not hard but some help sure won't hurt.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2017 at 9:57pm
You need a starting battery does not need to be marine avoid any type of deep cycle. That carb is real simple would not hurt to open it up to see if there is any crud in it and to do that you need a bowel gasket. Might as well get a kit because the accelerator pump will most likely be dried out too.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic