Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Strut bearing length importance

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
DanielT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanielT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Strut bearing length importance
    Posted: May-08-2017 at 11:12am
I'm changing my strut bearing on my boat for the first time but have a question concerning the bearing length.
I live in the Netherlands where they don't seem to sell the 6" strut bearing. However they do have a 2" or 4" variant.. I was thinking I could buy three 2"s to make a 3 piece-6" bearing, What option would be best, go for the 3 piece design or the 4" one and leave a 2" gap.

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2017 at 12:24pm
go with 2 2" with a 2" gap between them - seriously
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
DanielT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanielT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2017 at 5:00pm
Ill try that.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2017 at 11:57pm
I just changed out the strut bearing in my 1994. I'm fairly sure that it was the original strut bearing. The bearing was 6 inches long and I replaced it with a similar unit by Johnson Duramax:

LINK

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
OldSchoolBlue84 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2017 at 12:08am
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

I just changed out the strut bearing in my 1994. I'm fairly sure that it was the original strut bearing. The bearing was 6 inches long and I replaced it with a similar unit by Johnson Duramax:

LINK

JQ

๐Ÿ‘+1 - did mine, looks original with great fit & quick shipping
DanielT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanielT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2017 at 4:17am
Unfortunately I don't have time waiting for overseas shipment, it could easily take a week or two. Plus I'd have to pay double the amount because of shipping costs.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2017 at 10:15am
I put in separate bearings, one at each end, & it has not been a problem.
โ€œBeer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.โ€

Ben Franklin
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2017 at 10:57am
Daniel,
I totally agree with Joe and Chris that two 2" on both ends of the strut is plenty. Somewhere through history it was found out that in this case shorter is better. It was from ether radial load calculations or probably just from time monitoring wear of the rubber. In theory there is less drag on the shaft from less surface area of the rubber so there's a minuet increase in efficiency.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2017 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

so there's a minuet increase in efficiency.

Pete

You must be flashing back to your ball room dancing days or something using words like minuet. You don't seem the type
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2017 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

so there's a minuet increase in efficiency.

Pete

You must be flashing back to your ball room dancing days or something using words like minuet. You don't seem the type

Well Ken, spelling isn't my forte and in this case, I'm blaming it on spell check. I never knew that "minute" was spelled the same as minute. I typed in some absurd spelling and then spell check took over!   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2017 at 7:19pm
That's OK, I never knew what the definition of minuet was till I looked it up so we both did a little learnin' today

So I guess you're not a ballroom dancer then?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic