NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bad ECM

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2017 at 3:02pm
You will also need a carb and an intake - and some fuel system changes.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2017 at 3:04pm
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2017 at 3:06pm
Not very original but might as well just drop a new engine in!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2017 at 3:09pm
It is still pretty much the next step here outside of getting handy with a soldering iron or the solutions being worked on over at PN. If I was a PCM garage or shop and it wasn't being supported anymore I would send it back to a carb and distributor in a hurry.   
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2017 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Not very original but might as well just drop a new engine in!!

You are probably getting pretty close to justifying an excal bobtail but in another 20 years you will need a new ecm for that one...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2017 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I have to agree!!
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2017 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

You are probably getting pretty close to justifying an excal bobtail but in another 20 years you will need a new ecm for that one...

Another 20 years I won't care anyway
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2017 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

Gary, I had a problem getting my cel to stay off on a 2003 Durango. It kept coming up with evap codes, endless finding and changing out the hoses. Then it just stayed on, I'd reset it, a day or two later back on again. My repair shop said they can pass a vehicle if no codes are found, they did something to make special note of it and gave me the inspection info sheet to keep in the car. Not sure if IL has similar rules or not.

Dave I'll bet we have similar problems p0456- (ECM) has detected a very small leak in the evaporative system ? was the old code before I took it to the dealer,now just a light and no code. Here in Illinois if you spend over $450 you can get a wavier. Our son went to get one but I think he took an attitude in with him and found out that does not work. The test center looked at the dealer work order and noticed it had Grand Cherokee on it when in fact it's a Cherokee. Even though the vin was on the sheet too, the guy gave him a hard time. I took a chance and told just to him to take in in when the light was out.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
fgroce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fgroce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2017 at 10:48pm
Hi in the car industry there is a company called Cardone.    They can rebuild ECM modules for cars. It should not be to hard to send them a ECM to save the program from then they would have the program to download into a ECM after it has been repaired. If I get a chance I will investigate further. This should not be that hard of a problem to solve.
FGroce
88 Ski Nautique
For 28 years
Now 2002 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2017 at 10:58pm
Originally posted by fgroce fgroce wrote:

Hi in the car industry there is a company called Cardone.    They can rebuild ECM modules for cars. It should not be to hard to send them a ECM to save the program from then they would have the program to download into a ECM after it has been repaired. If I get a chance I will investigate further. This should not be that hard of a problem to solve.

Frank,
This looks like the outfit you speak of My only concern is somewhere at sometime I thought I heard that the ECM program is proprietary to PCM?? I'm sure a call to them would be needed.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2017 at 11:16pm
Well I think your partially correct Pete in that it's proprietary but if according to the PN guy they were able to read and record the programing. It does not seem that they can reprogram an ECM but they can add a chip to override whats in there. Here is a link to the "chip"
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
woodyelc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodyelc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2017 at 12:38pm
You are right sorry for misleading you
woodyelc
fgroce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fgroce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2017 at 9:41pm
Hi just in case you did not see the other post. I talked to a Cardone representative today and they do not have this part number on file. But to get a broken one repaired. Take the ECM to a local Cardone dealer. They will send it to Cardone and once it gets to the Philadelphia repair center it should be a five day turn around. Once it is evaluated and repaired they will assign a Cardone part number to it and then anyone should be able to get one. I have used their repair service before with no problems. Hope this gets rid of some of the fears of owning a GT40 engine.
FGroce
88 Ski Nautique
For 28 years
Now 2002 Ski Nautique
fgroce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fgroce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2017 at 9:44pm
Ski-Naut are you going to be the first one to try Cardone for the repair of your ECM?
FGroce
88 Ski Nautique
For 28 years
Now 2002 Ski Nautique
Ski-Naut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ski-Naut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2017 at 3:11pm
fgroce, I don't know at this time. I need to contact them and see what they have to offer. Thanks for the lead.
Mike9812121298 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike9812121298 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2018 at 4:08pm
Check out Gt40ecm.com ecu's in stock ready to ship. These come plug and play no wire cutting or modifying. please ask for questions.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2018 at 9:50am
Originally posted by Mike9812121298 Mike9812121298 wrote:

Check out Gt40ecm.com ecu's in stock ready to ship. These come plug and play no wire cutting or modifying. please ask for questions.

Where is this place?

Not much info on the website like a phone number so you could talk to a real person
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2018 at 10:06am
Originally posted by Mike9812121298 Mike9812121298 wrote:

Here's a direct link
Ken,
Looks like the only way to get in touch with him is via the sites contact form.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2018 at 10:10am
Mike

A quick Google search tells me that you're the guy selling these, so why not be upfront about it in the first place?

Link to Ball of Spray where you're selling also.

See posts from Oct 19, 20 by Mike9812121298

link
scootdogydog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scootdogydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2018 at 11:49am
Mike's intentions confuse me. At a price of $650, vs the $113 on the PN page, what is the difference between the two methods, other than $537 more

PN reprogrammed

Maybe just time? If I had a GT40, I'd probably pick up a spare or two via the linked page and be set for a long time.

IIRC, Mike came to the site asking for help, and he got it...Now he's trying to help (while making a big profit)
1999 Python
1980 Ski Tique
1968 Mustang WIP
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2018 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by scootdogydog scootdogydog wrote:

Mike's intentions confuse me. At a price of $650, vs the $113 on the PN page, what is the difference between the two methods, other than $537 more

PN reprogrammed

Maybe just time? If I had a GT40, I'd probably pick up a spare or two via the linked page and be set for a long time.

IIRC, Mike came to the site asking for help, and he got it...Now he's trying to help (while making a big profit)

Scott,
Are you willing to take a chance at buying a used ECM off Ebay and then replacing the chip in hopes it would work?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2018 at 12:31pm
Scott I'm sure that he must re manufacture and rigorously test each donor ECM. Then he had to buy the the reader and burn equipment and have an original good ECM to download the original tune- so it all adds up. You and I would just go on ebay buy a ecm and hope it works. Then we'd go on the original PN thread and have one of the guys who did the original figuring this out, burn a chip with the tune they pulled from their very own ECM. Then you'd try to get them to take compensation for all their help which they would refuse because they were happy to help out the community. Either way it's cheaper than PCM's fix of replacing the complete engine. So you do your homework and make your choice. Up and running I have around 180 in mine.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2018 at 12:36pm

Scott,
Are you willing to take a chance at buying a used ECM off Ebay and then replacing the chip in hopes it would work?

Curious Pete how often do you run across a bad automotive ECM? I gambled 75 bucks on one, it's fine. How much money will be spent on lottery tickets this week with the odds being much greater?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2018 at 12:41pm
I agree, get the ECU from Mike. He's giving a 30 day warranty! What could be easier? These GT 40's are great engines, keep it going.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2018 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Scott,

Curious Pete how often do you run across a bad automotive ECM? I gambled 75 bucks on one, it's fine. How much money will be spent on lottery tickets this week with the odds being much greater?

Gary,
You are correct. Even though I did buy a Mega ticket last week, the chances are higher with getting a good ECM off Ebay!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Ski-Naut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ski-Naut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2018 at 12:59pm
I found the fix for my PCM GT40 EFI late this summer. I went through the whole process of buying a used ECM off of Ebay and adding my tune to the Motes chip and didn't work for me. I know a couple of people that it worked for. Contact Norm at Affordable Fuel Injection just north of Detroit MI and he will get you up and running. Here is the web site   https://www.affordable-fuel-injection.com/
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2018 at 1:27pm
You should read thru Mike's old posts here on CCF to get an idea how he does things
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2018 at 8:24pm
It's pretty easy to find his Ebay listings too

With multiple Ebay accounts if you look halfway closely
Mike9812121298 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike9812121298 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2018 at 1:23pm
When i had a problem with my 95' at the start of last summer, there was no one online selling ecm's for the gt40. I had to do my homework, buy different ecm's off ebay and buy the programming equipment to get it up and running. If there was someone online that was just selling the ecm, i would have went that route to get my boat in the water faster. Im simply just trying to provide a service to make it easier on people that dont want to do the leg work. The ecu's on ebay that you have to use are starting to get into the 70-100 dollar range. The prices are going up. the chip you need for this also runs 85 dollars and that's not including the programmer and the adapter.

Each ecu i send out gets plugged into my gt40 to make sure everything took and it works like it should.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2018 at 2:27pm
Which tune are you burning,the 290 or the 300?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic