Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bad ECM

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
Ski-Naut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ski-Naut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bad ECM
    Posted: May-09-2017 at 3:14pm
I have a 1996 Super Sport Nautique with a 351 GT40 Engine. I have a bad ECM, ( Electronic Control Module) does anyone know if it can be repaired? I purchase a new one from NautiqueParts.com that wasn't any good. I had my PCM Dealer talk direct to PCM and they told him that Nautiiquepart.com should have never sold the ECM because they have not found a good ECM yet......I tried a ECM out of a '92' Ford Econo Van and the engine starts and runs for about a minute then starts to choke and puke, so I know the original ECM is the problem. Can anyone help.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2017 at 3:22pm
Try this link here- Planetnautique If you go this route be sure to post back here and let us know
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2017 at 3:44pm
Gary beat me to it, the thread on PN seems to be the most promising fix for a bad GT-40 ECM that I've seen.

I'm really surprised that any parts house sold you an ECM, it's known that there are none on shelves and that PCM isn't able to make or support any at this time. You may also be able to find one on Ebay, they are certainly getting scarce.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2017 at 3:52pm
I have a known good running 300-m on the shelf. Just used it to test another gt engine. I will sell it but I will not give it away.
$900 I will ship it to ya!
Or try E-bay and ski-it-again.com

Not a lot of people know this but Volvo Penta also utilized the GT-40 engine for a number of years.
An example from e-bay yes it is for a 5.0/302 but I have seen ECM's for the 5.8 on E-bay also!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OMC-VOLVO-PENTA-5-0Fi-OMC-FORD-5-0-Litre-EFI-MODULE-3854889-3854542-3854892-
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
Ski-Naut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ski-Naut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2017 at 3:53pm
Thanks for the Info.... I will try Planetnautique and I will let you know what happens..
Ski-Naut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ski-Naut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2017 at 4:30pm
What is a 300-m
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2017 at 5:02pm
It's the model # on the GT40 computer

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2017 at 12:11am
Here is what else I found out - 300m must be the latest software tune for GT 40 the '97's at least used the E 290. It would be interesting to know Nick what the numbers were on your original ECM . Can you check and maybe post a picture?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Ski-Naut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ski-Naut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2017 at 9:09am
This is what is in my '96' GT40

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2017 at 10:37am
Originally posted by Ski-Naut Ski-Naut wrote:

I had my PCM Dealer talk direct to PCM and they told him that Nautiiquepart.com should have never sold the ECM because they have not found a good ECM yet .

Fill me in since I'm curious and the above is confusing. Who hasn't found a good ECM yet? Nautiqueparts or PCM and why shouldn't Nautiqueparts sell them? They sell other PCM parts! Also, what happens if the ECM fails and you take it to a authorized PCM dealer for service?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Ski-Naut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ski-Naut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2017 at 11:04am
I don't know where NautiqueParts.com purchase there Parts, I'm assuming that they would get the ECM from PCM. PCM told the dealer that I took my boat to that they can't flash or repair bad ECM's. PCM said that NautiqueParts.com should have never had one on the shelf to sell because PCM hasn't seen a good ECM that could be repaired. I am starting to find some people on PN.com that are able to read the ECM and could have a solution for anyone with a bad ECM.......but still testing.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2017 at 11:56am

PCM said that NautiqueParts.com should have never had one on the shelf to sell because PCM hasn't seen a good ECM that could be repaired. .

So, what you are saying is Nautiqueparts keeps bad parts on their shelf?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2017 at 11:58am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

what happens if the ECM fails and you take it to a authorized PCM dealer for service?

IE: How does the PCM dealer fix the problem?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2017 at 11:58am
Pete I guess due to the age PCM is just not supporting parts for the Ford engine. Just try to find the thermostat housing for example,not a problem with freshwater boats they last forever but a saltwater boat they rot out fast. So when it comes to the ECM,PCM didn't make them Ford did. I question who even did the programming of them,l'd bet Ford did that too. It's been something like 17 years since Ford got out of the marine business and have moved on to different engine families they are not going to supply parts forever. I don't remember if I told you about my Dads '00 Lincoln Town Car when the dash went completely out. It was like 11 years old with 70k on it. Dealer said no way to fix no parts. Luckily I found a place on the Internet for around 300 dollars that repaired the original dash and had it back in my hands in under a week. They made a lot of Town Cars so someone saw a market,who will step up when in a few years these new Linc systems start failing and their not supported any more - not quite as many of them being made.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2017 at 11:59am

what happens if the ECM fails and you take it to a authorized PCM dealer for service?

IE: How does the PCM dealer fix the problem?

Like a car dealer,they sell you a new boat
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2017 at 12:00pm
I think it was a used one
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2017 at 12:05pm
Gary,
I completely understand that part support doesn't last forever but back to my other question, what happens if you take the boat in to a dealer? They just wave goodbye to you? Is this why the PN member went out on his own to find a solution? I'm heading over to Watercraft Sales later this week to see Ryan regarding the mini and I'm going to run it past him and his service writer. I'll report back.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2017 at 12:08pm
Pete, the point is that as far as anyone knows there are no longer any parts dealers that have ecm's for GT40 on the shelf. A used ECM out of a working motor will work fine, but once they are bad there has been no rebuilding technique. The guys on PN are coming up with an interesting fix at low cost that if it works will really be good insurance for guys like me that plan to keep their boat.

I'm not sure why you are questioning the OP on Nautique Parts, obviously if they sold him an ECM and it doesn't work, then they sold a part that doesn't work. Seems fairly simple to me. I would hope they would take it back, don't know if that has been asked or not.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2017 at 12:10pm
I know the local dealer here, a friend of mine, will not have a solution for a bad ECM in a GT-40. So yes, he will just send you away, because he literally has no way to solve it.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2017 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

I'm not sure why you are questioning the OP on Nautique Parts, obviously if they sold him an ECM and it doesn't work, .

David,

I had my PCM Dealer talk direct to PCM and they told him that Nautiiquepart.com should have never sold the ECM because they have not found a good ECM yet .

Fill me in since I'm curious and the above is confusing. Who hasn't found a good ECM yet? Nautiqueparts or PCM and why shouldn't Nautiqueparts sell them?

Maybe I missed it but I don't believe the OP ever stated or confirmed the ECM was bad? Again, I'm just curious what happens when the ECM's go bad. Yes, it will be interesting and great if the PN member finds a solution.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2017 at 12:22pm

I purchase a new one from NautiqueParts.com that wasn't any good.
96 Super Sport
Previously: 95 Sport Nautique, 1980 Ski Supreme
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2017 at 12:46pm

Gary,
I completely understand that part support doesn't last forever but back to my other question, what happens if you take the boat in to a dealer? They just wave goodbye to you? Is this why the PN member went out on his own to find a solution? I'm heading over to Watercraft Sales later this week to see Ryan regarding the mini and I'm going to run it past him and his service writer. I'll report back.

That is exactly what the Lincoln dealer did Pete and dad had bought quite a few cars from him. I would venture to guess that a boat dealer would suggest a re power though. I don't know if anyone has ever tried but if it were me I would get ahold of one of the ecm rebuilders on eBay and at least ask if they could repair one,I don't know what's involved but on the Lincoln dash it was a known problem that often had happened to the failed ones. I'm fighting a problem on my Jeep right now,the check engine light comes on with no codes. I did some checking and hose replacement since it has to pass emission testing. After failing test I took it to the dealer,he says it might be the computer it's the only thing left in the system. My fix was to take it in to get tested when the light was off and it passed. Few days later it's back on with no codes found again
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2017 at 12:48pm
The real problem with these ECM's is that there is no F12 key
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2017 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

I'm fighting a problem on my Jeep right now,the check engine light comes on with no codes. I did some checking and hose replacement since it has to pass emission testing. After failing test I took it to the dealer,he says it might be the computer it's the only thing left in the system. My fix was to take it in to get tested when the light was off and it passed. Few days later it's back on with no codes found again

There must be someone with VW that can do some programming on that computer!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2017 at 1:11pm
Gary, I had a problem getting my cel to stay off on a 2003 Durango. It kept coming up with evap codes, endless finding and changing out the hoses. Then it just stayed on, I'd reset it, a day or two later back on again. My repair shop said they can pass a vehicle if no codes are found, they did something to make special note of it and gave me the inspection info sheet to keep in the car. Not sure if IL has similar rules or not.
Ski-Naut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ski-Naut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2017 at 1:35pm
I did call and talk to NautiqueParts.com and they would not refund my $600.00 for the ECM because they don't take back electronic parts. I never hurt what was already broken....I proved that when I got the boat to start with another ECM.
woodyelc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodyelc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2017 at 2:37pm
PCM offers a kit to solve your issue, George at Christine marine has the parts you need to get your boat up and running for the summer. part number IG8525N   has in stock. This is Woody that was at Southeast Correct for 35 years. THis kit comes with everything that you will need to make the motor better that ever.
woodyelc
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2017 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by woodyelc woodyelc wrote:

PCM offers a kit to solve your issue, George at Christine marine has the parts you need to get your boat up and running for the summer. part number IG8525N   has in stock. This is Woody that was at Southeast Correct for 35 years. THis kit comes with everything that you will need to make the motor better that ever.

This is the kit Woody is referring to:

A little more than halfway down the page here

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2017 at 2:57pm
That is the Pro Tech conversion, so that can eliminate the ECM as well??
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2017 at 3:00pm
If it was only that simple. Since the Gt40 is multi port efi that won't work, that is the replacement for the pro tec system. You still need the "brains" to control injector timing and advance and things like limp mode etc.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic