NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Premature V-Belt wear on a 1984 PCM

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Gonne929 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gonne929 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Premature V-Belt wear on a 1984 PCM
    Posted: July-08-2006 at 8:10am
I have found that my 1984 351 PCM (Ski Nautique) prematurely wears the two accessory belts. I have taken all of the pulleys off and cleaned/polished the inside surfaces. Belt alignment looks ok. Is anyone aware of any aftermarket retrofit kits that might correct this problem? It is not a huge issue but does create alot of nuisance dust.
extxlonghorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote extxlonghorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2006 at 9:04pm
have you checked to make sure the spacing is right? the bracket that holds the alternator should NOT be snug against the starter, there is a 1/4" or so gap that should be filled between the two, otherwise you will have uneven wear and stress.
1970 Mustang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970 Mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2006 at 6:10pm
Sounds like they are not aligned with one another. One accessory pully will stick out slightly farther than the other, just eye-balling it is sometimes hard to see if they are not aligned right. If the belts looks at all like it is not vertical (motor angle taken into account obviously) then it is dfinately misaligned. Usually in this case of misalignment, one side of the belt will ear and fray quicker than the other, that is the side rubbing against the top of the pulley grove while the motor turns.

Does one side of your belts seems to wear more than the other?
Gonne929 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gonne929 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2006 at 12:47pm
I just changed the belts at the start of the season. I will keep an eye on the edge wear. Thanks for the info.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2006 at 1:02pm
make sure they are tight a loose belt will ware faster than a properly tightened belt.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic