Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Question on Belts and pulleys.

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
adam77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adam77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question on Belts and pulleys.
    Posted: May-19-2017 at 5:10pm
really haven't used the site much since joining. Sorry that's my fault! Bought a 1993 Ski Nautique little over a yr ago. I've Been slowly getting it back in shape. My question is how hard is to change the pulleys and belts. I had new belts put on but the guy told me the pulleys will need to changed at some point. Need to do a few more things before the summer and this is one of them.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2017 at 6:39pm
Adam,
I would question the need for new sheaves. Did he say why? A marine engine isn't like an engine running out in the desert where sand abrades them.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
adam77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adam77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2017 at 9:08pm
Sheaves?? Not familiar with that. Sorry.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2017 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by adam77 adam77 wrote:

It's the proper term for that round thing that V belts run in!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2017 at 9:14pm
"A sheave (/ʃiːv/) is a pulley with a grooved wheel for holding a belt, wire rope, or rope. The grooved wheel spins inside the frame of the sheave. This allows the wire or rope to move freely minimizing wear and abrasion on cable. Sheaves can be used to redirect a cable or rope, lift loads, and transmit power. "

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2017 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Don't worry Adam, that's just Pete trying to impress you with his big boy talk
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2017 at 9:53pm
If you want a good answer,without seeing a picture or seeing them in person, your pulleys can probably get cleaned up and painted.

Pete seems to have forgotten that boats run in the water, they get water in the bilge, )some boats more than others) and pulleys tend to get rusty and pitted.which I figure you already know

You probably would be wanting to replace 4 pulleys, raw water pump, circulating water pump, alternator and the crankshaft pulley. As a guess that would cost anywhere from 200 to 400 dollars depending on what you can find, so cleaning and painting looks better all the time Those pulleys aren't cheap and they're scarce too except for the alternator pulley.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2017 at 12:26am
I think his 93 uses a 4 bolt crankshaft pulley which should be easier to find but that Sherwood pump pulley without a press would be pretty near impossible for someone to change. Pictures would help
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
velde99 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote velde99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2017 at 2:29am
Those pulleys are VERY tough to find. Long sold out from PCM. I have seen the two sell for $100+ each on eBay. Used too!
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2017 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Don't worry Adam, that's just Pete trying to impress you with his big boy talk

If you really want to make Pete's head explode, tell him you are going to crawl around on the "floor" of your boat, both the "left" and "right" sides, to inspect the "freeze plugs"
adam77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adam77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2017 at 2:29pm
Thanks for the feed back and even the smart ass ones! 😜 Those are the best. He made it sound like it would wear them out again.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2017 at 5:47pm
mine were pretty ugly, but they cleaned up ok with a wire brush on a grinder. If cleaning is all that is needed, you're basically looking to polish the surface that the belts run in.   The pulleys (sheaves) are just stamped, and therefore are pretty rough to begin with, if you really need new, check with your local speed shop, and they can get you billet pulleys that would be significantly more true from the factory.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2017 at 7:01pm
Adam,
Getting back to the question I had, what was said about the need for new sheaves (pulleys)

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2017 at 7:45pm

Adam,
Getting back to the question I had, what was said about the need for new sheaves (pulleys)

He made it sound like it would wear them out again.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2017 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Adam,

He made it sound like it would wear them out again.

Paul,
Yes, I did see Adam stated "it would wear them out again" but what? The belts? The sheaves (pulleys)? And, what is causing the wear? Bad alignment? Corrosion on the sheaves (pulleys)?
Adam, Can you be more specific?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
fgroce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fgroce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2017 at 9:20pm
Hi I took my sheaves off and bead blasted them, primed and painted them. Looked great. New belts and good to go. The rust in the sheaves can be rough on the belts and shorten the life of them. You may notice extra belt dust around the alternator pulley area until the pulleys shine up.
Good luck on your repair.
FGroce
88 Ski Nautique
For 28 years
Now 2002 Ski Nautique
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2017 at 10:15pm
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2017 at 10:32pm
Belts are pretty forgiving if you use good quality belts, Dayco, Goodyear or Gates Premium belts. Don't jump on the cheaper low cost belts. They are not anywhere near the quality.
The belts want a smooth surface to run on and it will slip on that surface at times in normal operation which will take the paint right off a pulley. Your alternator can engage to cover you turning on the 100 AMP stereo, the belt will slip a little allowing the alternator to spin up to speed gracefully until the belt and pulley are turning the exact same time. If you leave the belt loose this will happen way too much and will glaze the belt over and you will have belt squeal as it slips.
A glazed belt is still virgin rubber, you can sand off the glaze and the belt will be nearly good as new after you tighten it.
My pulleys have rust on them each spring when I take the boat out for the first time.
I don't worry about it. The belt will clean it right back up. If the belt makes any noise a quick wire brush to it or sand paper cleans it and all is good again.
If the belt gets old and cracked replace it.
If the pulley is not bent or damaged I would run them. You can always buy a wider belt if the factory belt sits too low in the pulley. They come in 3 basic widths. 3/8, 15/32 and 17/32. The 3/8 always sit low and offer less power to turn a load than the 15/32.   
Gates offers these in their 7= 3/8, 8 = 15/32 and 9 series = 17/32 IE: 7445, 8445, 9445.   Each of these would be 44.5 inches in length but differ in width. Use a quality belt and you wont be stranded.
The narrow belts ride low in the pulley and won't wedge as well to pull a load so they are far more prone to squeal. I run the 15/32 wide and they work very well.
The good belt is probably no more than $15. and the cheap belt is $7 but is this where you want to risk a failure. I would hate to be stranded because I saved less than $10.
Pleasure Craft and Mercury all sell OEM belts but they don't make them. They will contract with Dayco, Gates or Goodyear to supply them.
Warning, Dayco Goodyear and Gates all sell Premium belts and Price line belts, make sure you ask for the premium or some helpful counter worker will save you money and give you a cheap belt.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2017 at 7:38am
I too have never removed rust/corrosion on sheaves (pulleys) from a layup. The belts remove it almost immediately and as Mark mentions, there is no damage to a good quality belt. Yes on proper tension.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
adam77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adam77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2017 at 1:52pm
When he replaced the belts he said the sheeves (pulleys) would need to be replaced. Because they were squeaking and that they would cause the belts to wear out. When we were on the water this past weekend I could hear the squeaking again. So I need to tighten them up he said until I put new ones on.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2017 at 2:09pm
Start with new belts, if the old belt is worn and narrow it will slip and squeal.
As mentioned above the belt needs to be wide enough to wedge in the pulley.
Tension them properly and it will never squeal.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2017 at 7:36pm

When he replaced the belts he said the sheeves (pulleys) would need to be replaced. Because they were squeaking and that they would cause the belts to wear out. When we were on the water this past weekend I could hear the squeaking again. So I need to tighten them up he said until I put new ones on.

Adam,
I feel whoever is telling you the sheaves (pulleys) are bad isn't the person you what working on your engine. Do as suggested and install new quality belts with the proper tension and then check the alignment. Members have had some problems with alignment being off that requires some shimming of auxiliary components. Is this person a mechanic?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
adam77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adam77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2017 at 2:49pm
Yes. He was the head Tech Correct Craft years ago. Went out on his own a long time ago.. a bunch of people use him and he's always been reliable. That's why I didn't hesitate to call him.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2017 at 3:24pm
I'll third or fourth what has been said above. Clean up rough rust areas with a wire brush, wipe the pulleys (SHEAVES) down with a damp rag, ok to use a little bit of dishwashing liquid if any sign of greasiness on the running surface of them. Install new belts and they will clean up the surfaces as you run. With us northerners generally putting 30-60 hours on a boat in the summer there's no way a rusty sheave will wear out a belt in a season, with you down south if you run over a hundred hours a year you might need to watch closer. Also, keep a spare set of belts in the boat and it's a 10 minute fix on the water if you ever snap one.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2017 at 4:00pm

Adam,
I feel whoever is telling you the sheaves (pulleys) are bad isn't the person you what working on your engine. Do as suggested and install new quality belts with the proper tension and then check the alignment. Members have had some problems with alignment being off that requires some shimming of auxiliary components. Is this person a mechanic?

Just so you know Adam, Pete doubts most everybody and can find fault with their skills too whether he knows them or not
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic