Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Very hard to change gears on Ski Tique

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
wolfman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wolfman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Very hard to change gears on Ski Tique
    Posted: May-24-2017 at 10:33pm
I disconnected the cables and they move nicely. Morse seems fine also when disconnected. The problem seems to be at the transmission itself. Anything I can do to remedy this? It's almost making the boat undriveable at this point always having to bang it in to forward or reverse. Thanks!
1978 Ski Tique 302
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2017 at 10:43pm
Jeff,
Pull the valve spool on the trans that' the shift arm is attached to. Check for corrosion and burrs on the spool as well as the bore in the trans. Check the condition of the O ring to make sure it's in place in it's groove but, as long as the spool is out, put in a new O ring.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2017 at 12:33am
I'd try operating the shift lever on the transmission first before just deciding to pull the spool valve.

With the cable disconnected you should be able to move the shift lever on the transmission very easily with a couple of fingers.

If it's hard, then pull the spool valve like Pete said.

If it's easy don't bother
wolfman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wolfman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2017 at 1:11am
I did try operating it without the steel ball and spring, etc. and it is still very hard. Going to pull it out tomorrow. Can't wait to see what the hangup is. Just spent the last hour going over the velvet drive manuals. Good stuff. Will update, thanks guys!
1978 Ski Tique 302
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2017 at 6:42am
Originally posted by wolfman wolfman wrote:

Just spent the last hour going over the velvet drive manuals.

If that's the case then I'm sure that you are aware of the fact that you will need to figure out how to compress the spring and disassemble it. Not the easiest task without the proper tool but maybe doable.
Be very careful to only remove the crud from the spool and not any metal. They are precision sized as they meter the fluid. Good luck, Duane
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2017 at 8:24am
Hi Duane

Pete's only describing a fluff and buff on the spool valve, not actually disassembling it's internals
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2017 at 8:27am
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

If that's the case then I'm sure that you are aware of the fact that you will need to figure out how to compress the spring and disassemble it. Not the easiest task without the proper tool but maybe doable.   Duane

Duane,
Please note I suggested pulling the valve spool and not disassembling the pressure regulator valve. The pressure regulator valve would not restrict rotation of the spool so it shouldn't be disassembled.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
wolfman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wolfman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2017 at 12:21am
The valve spool had some bad patchy corrosion in a few spots. Cleaned the bore and spool with ATF and it works perfect now!   
1978 Ski Tique 302
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2017 at 6:47am
Jeff,
Great to hear. Go boating!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2017 at 8:10am
I think I'd change the fluid too, if you haven't already, since good clean ATF doesn't cause corrosion on your internal trans parts
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2017 at 8:44am
Jeff,
Ken has a great idea. ATF does have some additives to handle some water moisture but that's only to a certain point. It sounds like you may have or had some moisture in the trans. What did the ATF look like? Any or even a slight tint of pink?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
wolfman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wolfman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2017 at 11:47am
The transmission fluid looks really good. It was changed recently. The corrosion was on the top of all the parts. Likely from when the boat sat for ten years.

I am now trying to tune the engine. At one point last summer it ran really top notch. Now it just seems overall sluggish. This coincided with a new condenser i put in from an auto parts shop. This only lasted a week or so and the condenser failed and the engine has never felt the same since. New condenser from ski dim along with new points. Have even tried multiple condensers with no luck. I have adjusted timing along the way and seem to not be getting any results from there either. Total advance is 35 degrees, ten initial. Getting 10.6 volts at the coil and points. I have also tried swapping coils no luck. Boat idles nice at 550 and gets to 5000 rpm no problem.

Edit: Points gap at .018 and dwell is 25.6 degrees

1. I can't see any spark at the points with my hand covering it in day light.

2. I am 250 lbs and it takes like 8 seconds to get me out of the water on the boom barefooting. Maybe I am expecting too much and am just imagining that the engine ran stronger at one point in time. I never went skiing when it was feeling that strong.

3. Accelerator pump is set by the books but it will bog if I throw the throttle down. A slower throttle motion and it is better. I know I have an issue here but this really started when that one awesome condenser failed.

Any help or thoughts would be great Thanks.
1978 Ski Tique 302
wolfman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wolfman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2017 at 9:56pm
After further testing I am getting a really weak looking thin orange spark from the coil output. Both coils I have read 1.5 ohms across primaries. Next I will try opening or closing the points gap to see if this could make a better spark.   After that I will be leaning towards a new coil. I should get a a nice blue spark right?

UPDATE:
Tried tampering with dwell and gap witch didn't help. Poked around with the multi-meter and may have found the issue. Erratic readings led me to the ignition switch and found a wire with only two strands connected. I think this would probably make a weak spark. Will update after fix.
1978 Ski Tique 302
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic