Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

302 Rear Main Seal

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
b.miller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b.miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 302 Rear Main Seal
    Posted: June-05-2017 at 12:06pm
Ok guys I don't post often but I have a problem.The rear main seal on my 78 Mustang which has a 302 in it started leaking profusely.Now I have a puddle of oil to clean up in the bottom of the boat and a repair job to do.This will be my first time doing this,but I have turned a wrench a time or two so I'm not that stupid,so I have some questions.

1. Can I use a one piece seal and sleeve kit or do you recommend going back to a 2 piece seal?
2.Is easier just to pull the tranny out and do the repair with the engine in the boat or would you all recommend pulling the engine and tranny together completely out?
3.Does anyone have any tips to make the job easier?

I have watch some videos on the one piece seal but I can not find a video as of yet on a 2 piece seal replacement.It really doesn't look to be to hard but it will be my first time doing this.Any suggestions would really help plus answers to my questions above.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2017 at 12:12pm
Can't replace a 2-piece with a 1-piece. Crank and block geometry is completely different.

I know it's been done but I can't fathom doing that repair in the boat. You're unbolting the main caps that hold the crank in the block for goodness sake.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2017 at 12:21pm
Basically what Tim is saying - it can be done but you can't do it. Engine has to be disassembled and the cap and block can be machined to accept a 1 piece seal. If you ever have it apart for any reason it might be worth looking into,I know I would. As it is you have quite the job ahead of you,engine has to come out to pull the pan.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2017 at 12:24pm
Yes, motor out. After all, oil pan must be removed.
If the engine is RH rotate (most likely) you will need to stay with the 2-piece seal.
b.miller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b.miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2017 at 5:00pm
thank you for the input guys.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2017 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Can't replace a 2-piece with a 1-piece. Crank and block geometry is completely different.

I know it's been done but I can't fathom doing that repair in the boat. You're unbolting the main caps that hold the crank in the block for goodness sake.

This is probably what things would look like doing it in the boat if you were so inclined

Came from another website where they're let's say a "little different"

I think it was only an oil pan and oil pump replacement
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2017 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

You had me worried for a minute until I saw that last sentence   
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2017 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

You had me worried for a minute until I saw that last sentence   

They see Stars and Stripes on that unnamed website

I think the boat was still in the water too
b.miller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b.miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2017 at 12:06pm
No I plan on pulling it out of the boat when it gets done.Parts are on order.
b.miller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b.miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2017 at 12:18pm
Ok guys parts are coming in and will be doing this job soon.Any tips or suggestions on getting the upper seal installed correctly? Doesn't seem to be a hard job,just my time doing the job.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic