Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Looking for transgender plug for Commander engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for transgender plug for Commander engine

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking for transgender plug for Commander engine
    Posted: June-08-2017 at 10:42am
We are replacing a 1978 Commander 302 with a 1979 Commander 351, and unbelievably the 1978 had a female plug on the engine and the 1979 has a male plug on the engine. Does anyone know if they make an adapter to convert a male plug to a female plug. I'd like to avoid splicing in a new plug.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2017 at 10:48am
I figure there must be a reason, but why not swap engine wiring harnesses ?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2017 at 10:55am
Doubt that one exists but SkiDIM sells short harness extensions... you may need 2 to make your own adapter (or just re-terminate one end). Not a big or difficult job in either case.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2017 at 10:56am
Trying to keep it simple, but swapping harnesses is also an option. Seems like the standard is female plug on the engine. Don't know why this one is backwards.
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2017 at 2:41pm
At least yours still has the Plug! Somewhere along the line mine got removed and hard wired with lots of butt connectors! Its a wiring disaster really. Out of curiosity what raw water pump is on your two?
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2017 at 3:03pm
The 1978 302 has a brass water pump. The 1979 351 has a Jabsco pump with a black plastic body. It seems like a hokey pump. It was leaking last year when we ran the engine. I put a new kit in it last week and hopefully, it'll be fine. We're pulling a PCM out of the Tique that we replaced the Commander 302 with last year. It plugged right in. If we got to swap wiring harnesses we will, but just one more thing to do and an adapter would be worth buying.   PCM is going in a Penn Yan as it is such a strong engine and my sons are PennYanFans. .
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2017 at 3:29pm
You could also borrow the harness off the commander 302 for the 351.

I'm betting the brass (Sherwood) pump on the commander replaced the original plastic jabsco.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2017 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

You could also borrow the harness off the commander 302 for the 351.

That maybe what we have to do, but that is such a PIA that we weren't expecting. I'll leave that job to the electrical expert, especially as I had him just about talked into putting the Commander in the Penn Yan and leaving the tique alone.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2017 at 4:05pm
MEDB-4329-3 ebasic power - cut the male plug off and enjoy your extra cubic inches.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2017 at 5:14pm
This isn't a very pleasant thread

Talking about transgender stuff and then............cutting the male plug off.

I'm outta here
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2017 at 7:43pm
Joe, that's exactly what we're looking for! Thank you
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2017 at 8:44pm
The way you cut off and protect that dead bundle of wires seems no less difficult that cutting the plug off and re-terminating with the opposite sex. Maybe wire harnesses just don't scare me much? If only you had someone with some electrical experience in the family.
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2017 at 9:11pm
Bruce,

Sure sounds like you are getting your freak on there in Portland.
I hope CQ does not see this thread. He has posted something similar on Craig's list or so I have heard.

Donald
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2017 at 10:40pm
Tim, not scared, just not looking for extra work. Why cut it off? I'll wrap the plug in electrical tape, then tape it all up nice and snug. Although we do need to add a male plug to the Penn Yan....

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2017 at 12:02am
I think we've collectively spent about 10x the amount of time discussing options than it would have taken to cut and splice 8 wires Bruce. Calling it a 10min job is pushing it!
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2017 at 9:07am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Calling it a 10min job is pushing it!

Ha, watching you work must be like watching a time lapse video. We need to get you up here so we can get caught up.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2017 at 10:03am
Send Brad, he's much faster ha.

But seriously, 8 butt splices? Get some quality adhesive lined butt connectors and swap that plug out in a few minutes.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic