Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mustang water pump issue

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Homebuilt burner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homebuilt burner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mustang water pump issue
    Posted: June-10-2017 at 5:24pm
I have a 66 Mustang with the 260 Ford. It has been running hot and I am thinking I need to rebuild the water pump. We have owned the boat for @ 10 years and I haven't touched the pump. I have done a search and can not seem to find a rebuild thread that looks like mine. The water pump is on the front of the crank and it looks like a pressed on pulley. How does this come apart and where is a good place to source parts?? Also, educate me on the thermostat.

Tom

ps I have been on here before but lost my login info so I created a new one.
Never cook bacon with your shirt off
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2017 at 5:33pm
Tom,
Does it look like one of these RWP pumps? I'd say all it needs is a new rubber impeller. Try that first. Also tighten all your hose clamps on the suction side of the RWP. Hopefully you don't run the engine without water hooked up. The RWP rubber impeller is water lubricated and it will burn up fast without the water!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2017 at 7:10pm
Pete, you're slipping

He's got a 66 260 cu in Ford, probably an Interceptor and none of those SkiDim pumps will fit what he's got.

A picture of the pump/front of the engine is worth a thousand words here.

I'd bet Gary could help out with info
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2017 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Pete, you're slipping

He's got a 66 260 cu in Ford, probably an Interceptor and none of those SkiDim pumps will fit what he's got.

A picture of the pump/front of the engine is worth a thousand words here.

I'd bet Gary could help out with info

Ken,
I'm not slipping! However, I am confused because of how Tom described the RWP.: Note he states "on the front of the crank" as well as mentioning the sheave (oops, pulley!! )
Originally posted by Homebuilt burner Homebuilt burner wrote:

The water pump is on the front of the crank and it looks like a pressed on pulley.

Tom

I posted the link so he could see the difference between a belt driven and crank driven. My first thought was someone retrofitted a crank driven onto the 260.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homebuilt burner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2017 at 10:45pm
It is crank driven with a pressed on pulley. I am having trouble loading pics.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homebuilt burner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2017 at 11:01pm
Pictures are real close. Sorry in advance.
Pictures of the Water Pump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homebuilt burner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2017 at 12:09am
I lied it is a belt driven pump. Sorry the boat is stored at my nephews, I'll try to get better pics tomorrow.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2017 at 6:22am
Tom,
Don't worry about the pictures. As mentioned, replace the impeller and check your hoses. The hose check is to make sure you aren't sucking air on the suction side of the RWP.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homebuilt burner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2017 at 7:29pm
I got the impeller out today. 2" long 2 1/2" diameter pump housing 5/8" shaft. where is the best place to find one?? Also, what is the best thermostat for this engine, and source and gasket?? And bearings and seals, all looks good but as long as I'm in there??
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2017 at 10:00pm
Tom,
I use Jamestown Distributors for basic supplies Were you able to find a model of the RWP? If not, Jamestown does have a cross reference by diameter, width and bore type. They also have rebuild kits if you go farter than just a new impeller. I do suggest just trying the impeller first. BTW, bearings and seals are standard off the shelf from a power transmission distributor.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homebuilt burner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2017 at 10:35pm
I tried looking by the pump number and could not find it. S110906    So I thought it was maybe obsolete.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homebuilt burner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2017 at 11:03pm
Jamestown has a listing for SHE-15000K that list 2 9/16 diameter I assume the impeller is just a nudge larger than the bore for the "twist fit". Also, my impeller is 9 vanes and the one list is 12 vanes but I am thinking that should not matter. Also, on the thermostat anything special or a certain temperature, and can I just get that at a local parts store.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic