NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

'97 Ski restoration - a few issues!

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2018 at 1:24pm
Do you have 14 volts feeding the PP? Mine fades with low voltage, my battery was getting tired and the gauge would fade and beep repeatedly with ignition on and not running, then would be fine once started. New battery and problem is gone.

Not sure I buy the idea that moisture causes an LCD screen to fade in and out.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Goldcup101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goldcup101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2018 at 2:22pm
I was a bit doubtful too but an internet search suggested that these gauges reacted like this to moisture. Given that it often works ok-ish when ignition first goes on then starts fading as it warms up (engine running or not) it did seem credible that humidity could be to blame (humidity rising as the circuit board warmed up).

I've given it a switched relay directly from the battery and a dedicated earth so I think it should be ok in voltage terms but I'll double check it.

Battery is new last year and the gauge reacts (and has always reacted) the same way when the engine is running so I'm pretty sure I can exclude the battery from the investigation. I get the beep no trouble, just looks like the actual LCD display as the information (when you can faintly read it) all seems good.

Given that the coating has made no difference, I am inclined to agree with your scepticism!
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2018 at 3:07pm
When I've contacted them in the past PP has had good customer service, might be worth giving them a call or email. It wouldn't surprise me if they offered to swap it out for reasonable money.

Mine is working perfectly, but I've noticed over the past month that I have to press on the up/down arrows harder to change the speed, worries me that they might be failing.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2018 at 4:13pm
You can get a new Stargazer from PP and be trouble free. Just make sure the power and ground are good. It's the way I'd go $1k, not much for the reliability and performance. Set it and let anybody drive for you that can keep a straight loss ne.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goldcup101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2018 at 4:51pm
We only ski recreationally outside a course so it's not worth my while spending as much as that for Stargazer. I only really want it work since it's there and I find it handy for accurate speed and rpm. If it all gets too difficult, I can just reinstall the 2nd Airguide or getone or both of them converted to GPS speed by NauticLogic.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2018 at 7:53am
Originally posted by Goldcup101 Goldcup101 wrote:

I've got a query about ignition though. The prestolite distributor doesn't seem to have points/condenser. Any idea what was standard fit in 1997 with the 285hp HO engine? assuming the points aren't hidden below a cover or something, is this breakerless ignition? The odd thing is that the engine does not have a ballast resistor and I replaced the coil last year with the standard one which says on it 'must be used with an external resistor'. Have I got the wrong coil here and, if so, what effect would it have?

You have the Prestolite breakerless distributor assuming it's the original.

it uses the same coil as the Prestolite points distributors but the ballast resistor is removed from the wiring.

PCM's part number is R117001 and the description in their parts manual says
"coil breaker point ignition"
(used with breakerless distributor without inserting a resistor in the system)

It's a 1.5 ohm coil that needs no ballast resistor when used with their electronic system but if used with points you need the resistor before the coil to make the points last longer. 12 volts to the points would burn them up pretty quickly.

So.............if you have a 1.5 ohm coil you should be just fine even if it says to use with an external resistor. That wording if for use in a points system.

Here's a picture of a Prestolite breakerless distributor with the cap off

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2018 at 9:38am

carb didn't come with a gasket but I've got a spare one for the 4160 and presume that'll work ok? Seems to fit.

You might want to post a photo of the gasket.

Some fit but not wide enough & eventually leak.

Ken will know just by looking at it.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goldcup101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2018 at 1:53pm
Yep, that's it Ken. Many thanks for the info; looks like the coil is fine then.

Here's the gasket, will this do the job or do I need a special one with the M-600? Incidentally, I got a new fuel line as I gather the Holley one doesn't fit.

I'm going to LA tomorrow so I'll get priority shipping for anything else that I need. (Like a water temp sender as I have just discovered!)

Looks like a boat project is never finished!

Thanks guys,
Calum

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2018 at 3:25pm
That's the good gasket that Ski Dim sells.

It's especially important to have one of them between the spacer plate and the manifold to seal that area well.

One of the same between the carburetor and spacer is good too.

They'll work with the Quick Fuel carburetor.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goldcup101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2018 at 5:55pm
Great, thanks for the tips. Should hopefully get it fitted Friday when I get home.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goldcup101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2018 at 7:59am
Installed the QF M-600. There was a chance here that it would make no difference and I'd have just wasted $500 but thankfully the boat is transformed.

I had a hunch it was a fuelling issue rather than anything else. Now starts on the turn of the key with no throttle required. No stalling, no flat spots and the acceleration is on another planet compared to what I had before. Also now gets to WOT (seemed to top out at 4200rpm before). Looks like it was money well spent!

Got the Airguide working again, just need to get hold of a water temp sensor and speak to PP about the dufff gauge. I forgot it was labour day when I was in LA this week so couldn't get anything shipped in time - will have to wait until next visit stateside.
Thanks for all the tips guys!
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2018 at 1:55pm
Cool that the new Quick Fuel Carburetor solved it. How did you do your fuel line, did you bend your own?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goldcup101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2018 at 2:17pm
No, I found a link to this one in a previous quick fuel thread.

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/rra-18-8115/overview/

Summit was the cheapest I could find it but still seems a lot for a bit of hose with a connector on each end!
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2018 at 2:28pm

No, I found a link to this one in a previous quick fuel thread.

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/rra-18-8115/overview/

Summit was the cheapest I could find it but still seems a lot for a bit of hose with a connector on each end!

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rra-18-8115/overview/

I guess that's a few bucks, but if it didn't kink and you didn't have to spend all day bending metal fuel line, it's probably worth it.

The next sign of any trouble with my carb, I'll probably go with the QF myself.
Faceplant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2018 at 11:23pm
I've had my QF for 3 or 4 years now . ZERO problems !!
Feels like I am hanging 10 but in reality - probably hanging 6.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goldcup101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2018 at 6:41am
Another query - the pipe from the fuel pump that is normally empty of fuel unless the pump diaphragm fails, used to connect to a port on the 4160. There doesn't seem to be a similar attachment on the QF. Does anyone know where it goes?
Thanks!
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2018 at 8:49am
Earlier Holley carburetors didn't have the fitting pressed into the carburetor like your later Holley did.

They used a flame arrestor like what's in the picture with another fitting for the overflow sight tube from the fuel pump.

You could buy one like in the picture from SkiDim or a variety of other places or modify yours if you confident that you won't defeat the flame arrestor function by doing it.

Edit the ones Ski Dim sells won't clear the adjuster screw on the rear bowl since they sit flush with the top of the carburetor.

Lack of clearance between the bottom of the arrestor and the external float adjusting screw on the rear bowl of the Quick Fuel can be a problem depending on the arrestor if you get a new one

You could also put a fitting into the carburetor body of the Quick Fuel in the same place.

]    

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goldcup101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2018 at 1:07pm
Thanks for the explanation. I only bought the current flame arrestor last year and I see they want circa $90 for the one with 2 attachents so I feel a modification coming on!!

I read about the arrrestor not clearing the float adjuster in an old QF thread so I bought a spacer at the same time as ordering the QF carb. It's a bit tall but if I cut it down enough for the arrestor to just clear the float adjustment screw, I think I can still use the same centre attachment bolt. If I need to, finding a new (longer) bolt shouldn't be impossible.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic