NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

starter/electrical

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: starter/electrical
    Posted: June-13-2017 at 12:12pm
My starter has periodically been hesitating. Try 1 click, try 2 click, try 3 starts fine. This has been coming and going. Sounds like I need to clean connections. Last night starts were much less frequent, so I finally got around to starting to clean contacts. Did the 2 at the battery and the ground on the block. Not much better. Before I started undoing all the connections back by the solenoid and starter, I grabbed my remote starter switch (real handy to have when you do most of your diagnostics and fixes alone) just to see if I could bypass any bad wiring and to test the battery and starter, and it started right up. But what I noticed when back there, is that this connection was broken.

Yet it started right up. And then I tried the key and it started right up. Hmmmm. Any idea what the broken wire does or where it goes (it disappears into a harness so I cant follow it) and why it can start just fine with out it. Anyway, it is still randomly starting and clicking between the key and the remote, so I am still trouble shooting. I noticed the ground cable at the battery end is frayed and corroded between the connector and insulation, so I am going to pick up a new one today. (Plus fix the broken connector back on the starter) After that, I'm not sure where I will go with it.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2017 at 12:31pm
Provides 12v to the ignition while cranking. If you have the resistor bypassed for EI then it's redundant and not needed. May not be needed even if you don't (pcm never utilized the resistor bypass during cranking).

Does your OMC have a 2nd relay or just the one on the starter? My OMC and the PCM chevies I have studied are/were double relayed. This was likely done to combat voltage drop between the key and starter relay start post (the other small connection opposite your mystery wire/post). Low voltage at that post will cause the dreaded click.

FWIW, I am eliminating the double relay on my freshly rewired Chevy, but I have 3x 10awg wires connecting the switch and starter. If freshly cleaned terminations don't solve your issue, a 2nd relay may not be a bad idea (assuming you don't already have one) as it was likely equipped with one originally.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic