Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pulled threads out of crank

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
KooK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KooK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pulled threads out of crank
    Posted: June-14-2017 at 8:11pm
In the worst of ways too, at the damper.

I've got a 5/8-18 tap coming
I've got a 5/8-18 Helicoil kit coming
I've got a new ARP damper bolt coming

Anybody ever deal with this before? It's the one thing I didn't look at the torque spec because my torque wrench only goes to 100ft-lbs and I assumed it was over that.
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2017 at 9:38pm
Dont worry, your not alone on this subject, Customers would often call with this same issue usually from trying to pull a balancer on with the bolt rather than using an install tool or a hammer. Your biggest concern will be to make sure it is straight. The best way to do this is to Step Up the drill gradually do not go directly to the Helicoil tap drill size. The good thing is the threads will be stronger than they were from the factory with the Helicoil installed. If you've never used a helicoil kit before remember to knock the little tab off the end of the Helicoil and don't leave it behind
Also, im assuming it's a cast crank.
So this is very job specific advise so don't apply this anywhere else. Go in dry!
That's right don't use cutting oil, it will turn the chips into a sludge lapping compound that drills and taps do not like.    
Good luck.
1988 Barefoot nautique-454
KooK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KooK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2017 at 10:22pm
I'm going to call my machine shop in the morning to price the job out first, but I may do it anyway. So a Helicoil kit will work in your opinion, or would you recommend a threadsert over a helicoil?

Thanks a ton for the advice! My heart sank when that bolt turned.
fgroce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fgroce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2017 at 10:30pm
A helicoil will work just fine. I looked up the torque spec and found numbers between 70-90 ftlbs. Just take your time and it will be fine.
FGroce
88 Ski Nautique
For 28 years
Now 2002 Ski Nautique
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2017 at 10:40pm
Yes just drill it and coil it youll be fine.
If it broke rather than spun you got lucky. However make sure the balancer is on far enough. If the bolt pulled threads rather than breaking it tells me you may not have had enough engagement in the first place. Takes a lot to pull that many threads.
Also if you bought an arp bolt you will want to use arp torque specs, their bolts have a different stretch than most.
KooK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KooK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2017 at 10:15am
Funny enough, the damper was fully seated when the threads pulled out. They're basically all gone. Yeah, the ARP torque spec is 120 and I'll be paying closer attention to it this time.
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2017 at 7:34pm
Arp specs are almost always given with the use of moly grease on threads and head also. That is surprising that they all pulled like that. You are going to want to stack two helicoils in the hole don't worry if the two coils don't exactly touch each other that will be impossible to do anyways with the drive tab on the end of the helicoil. They will work even if they aren't touching, because they follow the thread that you tap,
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic