Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

81 won't turn over

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Highflyin504 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Highflyin504 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 81 won't turn over
    Posted: June-16-2017 at 10:46am
Good morning all..
I recently acquired a 1981 ski nautique with a pcm 351 Windsor. The boat looks great but sadly it will not start. We did some troubleshooting and found that with the key on we were not getting the 12v to the starter. We tried jumping the starter solenoid and still nothing. When we tried jumping the solenoid it would blow the delayed fuse. Took the starter to get tested and it failed, Lucky we had an extra good starter laying around and replaced it. The same problem still exists. Everything else works on the boat I.e. Blower, nav lights, and gauges. As soon as we jump it everything shuts off cause we keep blowing the delayed fuse. We checked the battery and it tests good as well. We tried cranking the motor by hand and it turns as advertised. So long story short, I am looking for any help I can get to assist me in trying to troubleshoot this problem. Any ideas or information would greatly be appreciated. Thanks
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2017 at 12:12pm
First and foremost did you replace the old starter with a reverse rotation starter as this boat requires or did you use a standard automotive rotation starter that will turn the engine in the wrong direction?   

But that is not your problem...

Battery cables and connections can often be an issue and should be checked.

I don't know what the delayed fuse is... are you talking about the main engine circuit breaker?

1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2017 at 12:40pm
If you have an Ohm meter, check between various connection points & ground (with key off). You have a short somewhere, maybe the solenoid itself.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Highflyin504 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Highflyin504 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2017 at 1:31pm
Yes.. we did replace it with a ccw rotation starter that came off a 82 ski nautique that the previous owner had. same motor as what is in mine. we used a wire brush on all the connections that came from the battery all the way back to the starter solenoid and starter. Also the ground on the side of the block just to make sure we were not missing something. And yes we are talking about the main engine circuit breaker. But what I am talking about the delayed breaker is that it takes sometime for it to cool down before you can get anything electrical to come back on, on the boat
rebel skier View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2017 at 2:24pm
My 85 was acting similar. A new battery cable terminal was my fix. I showed no voltage drop until I turned the key, then everything went dead, and gradually came back. I took about an inch off my positive wire at the battery and put on a new terminal. The old terminal showed no corrosion and looked fine but was the weak link.

In the off season I am getting new wires.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2017 at 3:36pm
any chance your neutral safety switch is either not engaged or faulty?   That keeps the solenoid from getting power.    you can verify by:
- ensure the transmission is in neutral (morse control, verified at transmission shift lever)
- use your VOM to measure the resistance across the switch (should be ~0Ω)
- if infinite resistance or open, use a jumper across the two terminals of the switch and try again.   

I also agree with checking your wiring to find the short.    the only ground on a starter is through the engine block or through a cable from the engine block to the starter mounting bolts. Both terminals should go through a winding before they get to ground, so you should have resistance when measuring from the terminal to the ground reference.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2017 at 3:45pm
Jumping the solenoid should not cause the breaker to trip- the breaker is not in line with the unprotected side of the circuit (battery-->solenoid-->starter). Something is wrong with your wiring. Take a look at the pictorial PCM wiring diagram I created and posted on here, and start poking around with your multimeter.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2017 at 3:53pm
Maybe somebody will be nice and post it for ya

It looks something like this
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2017 at 9:56am
Originally posted by Highflyin504 Highflyin504 wrote:

. We tried jumping the starter solenoid and still nothing. When we tried jumping the solenoid it would blow the delayed fuse. Thanks

Jon,
How and to what terminals are you jumping the start relay?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2017 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by Highflyin504 Highflyin504 wrote:

. We tried jumping the starter solenoid and still nothing. When we tried jumping the solenoid it would blow the delayed fuse. Thanks

Jon,
How and to what terminals are you jumping the start relay?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2017 at 12:16pm
Jon,
Just so you know why I asked the question about you jumping the relay twice, it's because I and possibly others would like to help determine why you are popping that breaker.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2017 at 7:50pm
does the engine turn over by hand?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2017 at 9:46pm
My guess is we'll never know why Jon blows his breaker. Even though he has been back, it seems he isn't responding to the question of what he jumps to blow that breaker.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic