Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

FCC issue - where to start

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Demich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Demich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FCC issue - where to start
    Posted: June-17-2017 at 6:23pm
Just put my 97 Nautique - GT40 EFI and started and ran fine for the first ten min. It then cut out suddenly for a second and resumed. Ten seconds later, it cut out completely and would not start again. Now when I turn the key to the ON position there is no sound from the FCC to build fuel pressure as usual. The engine turns over but seems starved for gas.

The low pressure fuel pump was changed last year and I just filled the tank. Any suggestions of where I should start? Lots of scattered info here but can't find anything similar.

Thanks in advance!!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2017 at 8:10pm
You need to see if you have power to the pump in the FCC. You could unplug the pump,connect a volt meter to the boats harness and as you turn the key see if you have 12 volts. The relay that runs that pump is known to go bad. A fuel pressure gauge to check rail pressure would be a help too. You can get one at Harbor Freight,but if your not hearing the pump and have a vom meter I'd check for power first
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
mtguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2017 at 9:14pm
Sorry to jump this thread as my symptoms are a bit different...Ski a while, motor is hot, shut her down for a bit, and it acts like she is vapor locking. If we leave cover up when we shut it down, it is ok most times.
I remember, but can't find a thread that said it could be the low pressure fuel pump going out...Just bought one and am wondering how hard they are to install...and I guess I should be checking voltage to the pump. ('95 SN GT40 EFI)
Thanks ~Pete
'95 SN

'53 Hutchuck

'56 Essaness Craft
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2017 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by Demich Demich wrote:

Just put my 97 Nautique - GT40 EFI and started and ran fine for the first ten min. It then cut out suddenly for a second and resumed. Ten seconds later, it cut out completely and would not start again. Now when I turn the key to the ON position there is no sound from the FCC to build fuel pressure as usual. The engine turns over but seems starved for gas.

The low pressure fuel pump was changed last year and I just filled the tank. Any suggestions of where I should start? Lots of scattered info here but can't find anything similar.

Thanks in advance!!

Is this the first time out with the new Low Pressure Pump? Might want to bleed any trapped air from the shrader valve if so. I'd scan through the Poor Man's GT 40 troubleshooting guide on Here and follow Gary's advice too. The relays are cheap and a quick fix but be methodical and logical and you'll get this behind you soon.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2017 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by mtguy mtguy wrote:

Sorry to jump this thread as my symptoms are a bit different...Ski a while, motor is hot, shut her down for a bit, and it acts like she is vapor locking. If we leave cover up when we shut it down, it is ok most times.
I remember, but can't find a thread that said it could be the low pressure fuel pump going out...Just bought one and am wondering how hard they are to install...and I guess I should be checking voltage to the pump. ('95 SN GT40 EFI)
Thanks ~Pete

mtguy-- classic signs of failing low pressure fuel pump but I'd rule out a stuck anti-siphon valve as well as a plugged fuel tank vent too.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2017 at 10:52pm
But being a 95 he could have the non FCC fuel injection which is a little different. It might be worth his time to change the low pressure pump anyway,mine with less than 300 hours had been changed. If that does not cure it than it's the HP pump which are NLA and he could convert to a FCC or try gun drivers fix.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2017 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

But being a 95 he could have the non FCC fuel injection which is a little different. It might be worth his time to change the low pressure pump anyway,mine with less than 300 hours had been changed. If that does not cure it than it's the HP pump which are NLA and he could convert to a FCC or try gun drivers fix.

Good catch Gary. Yeah I'm thinking FCC '96+
mtguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2017 at 12:06am
Thanks for the input...So I went to take a look and compare the new LP with the old. New one is a Carter, not sure on old one as I'll pull it off tomorrow. Looks the same only gold not black, except the two wires have different connector types... Always something!
I don't think I have the FCC system as it looks different than some I've seen on these threads. Fuel line goes directly into this one and up to a smaller pump...
So the HP pumps on mine are not available? Better read those conversion threads!
'95 SN

'53 Hutchuck

'56 Essaness Craft
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2017 at 12:17am
Your pump should look like this if you don't have a FCC-

As to the color PCM assembles the engines then paints them so that is why your LP pump is black. Plug in connectors are usually cutoff and the wires connected with butt splices
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
tnplicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tnplicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2017 at 1:20pm
Demich: I would check fuel rail pressure as Gary suggested.

Gary: If the engine is turning over as Demich mentions, it wouldn't be the relay would it?? (I don't know, just asking)   I had a relay issue once and the engine didn't turn over, I just got "click, click" and nothing. Replaced the relay, problem fixed.

mtguy: I has a similar hot starting issue last year and recently did the FCC conversion. I would check fuel rail pressure the next time it doesn't start.   Not sure if you have the same issue I had, but it sounds very similar to mine. Here are some links to check out.

GT-40 Pro Boss Starting Issue after Running

1995 GT-40 Fuel Pump/FCC conversion

FCC Retrofit Conversion for a '95 SN
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2017 at 1:39pm
Different relay Tim. There are 2 of them mounted to the plate that holds the ECM and the breakers. One powers the pumps,the other I think is for the ECM power.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
tnplicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tnplicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2017 at 1:49pm
mtguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2017 at 2:43pm
Oh boy...Gary that is not at all what I purchased! Heading down to boat to take a couple pics and scratch my head a bit...I'll try and post them... Guess I have some learning to do.

Thanks for the links Tim (?)...I will go through them carefully

~Pete
'95 SN

'53 Hutchuck

'56 Essaness Craft
mtguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2017 at 3:51pm
I'm Confused...
Gary isn't that the HP pump? Here's what I have...

The LP fuel pump I bought is just like the one in the photo marked "LP" Tell me I didn't buy the wrong one, the shipping $ was high!

~Pete
'95 SN

'53 Hutchuck

'56 Essaness Craft
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2017 at 5:29pm
Your fine I was just posting a pic of the hp pump that is no longer available. The LP pump is the same on both systems.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
mtguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2017 at 11:10am
Thanks Gary!
Whew, had me scared there...
I'll report back when complete and running. Hoping this works as conversion doesn't look fun for a just-above' hack' ranking mechanic. Nearest shop is too far and I don't trust the mechanics based on other work they've done.
'95 SN

'53 Hutchuck

'56 Essaness Craft
Demich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Demich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2017 at 8:03pm
Thanks GaryS, Tryathlete and Tnplicky!!

This ended up being an exercise in 'check the basics first'. After driving around the planet to find 2 replacement relays from NAPA, I put the new relays in and the fuel pump still didn't prime when I turned the key to the ON position. On a whim I went to check the fuse at the battery and noticed my son never tightened the bolts to the terminal, leaving the secondary negative lead lose. I tightened the terminal, turned the key and the pump primed. Back on the water a little wiser.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2017 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by Demich Demich wrote:

. On a whim I went to check the fuse at the battery and noticed my son never tightened the bolts to the terminal, leaving the secondary negative lead lose. I tightened the terminal, .

Dante,
If you didn't clean both the battery stud and cable terminal, I suggest you do with a wire type post/terminal cleaner.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2017 at 1:32pm
mtguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2017 at 4:34pm
Reporting back to all you great guys who helped with advice... First, my '95 is definitely the non-FCC version. Second, the Low pressure pump was easy to .install...best of all, after skiing a few sets with my wife and a friend this AM it started and ran great. I let her sit with the motor cover down and waited an hour or so after skiing and she still starts...no more vapor locking-like symptoms!
Thanks you guys for all your help!
~Pete
'95 SN

'53 Hutchuck

'56 Essaness Craft
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2017 at 8:38pm
Great to hear Pete. Where did you get the pump? I see they have gone crazy on the price at Skidim- $212.00. Any numbers on it we can try to cross reference?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
mtguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2017 at 12:13am
Gary, Here you go...
I bought it from NautiqueParts.com. I looked at Skidim as well, but they were higher on all 3 items....
Carter LP Fuel pump -PCM# RA080018 -- $195.00
In-line Fuel filter PCM# R08024A --$15.50
Sherwood impeller -PCM# RP061015 --$29.95
************For Reference: '95 SN GT40 5.8HO EFI -- not sure how other motors vary...
The painful part was the slow $24.30 shipping. I'm in a small town in N. ID., but Fedx & UPS are up here daily...now we know why Amazon is eating retail's lunch...
~Pete      
'95 SN

'53 Hutchuck

'56 Essaness Craft
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2017 at 12:47am
I'm trying to figure out which one of these are the same pump at under 60 a pop----
Summitt Racing
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2017 at 9:27am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

I'm trying to figure out which one of these are the same pump at under 60 a pop----
Summitt Racing

I'm trying to figure out what you were trying to link to on the Summit website
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2017 at 9:45am
Well that's weird,before I posted I previewed and it worked. I'll have to look them up again
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2017 at 9:48am
Damn computers, I've done the same thing before and previewed it and had the same results. Wink

It might have even been the Summit website too
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2017 at 10:05am
Pump #1- link
Pump #2- link

I suspect it may be like the FCC pump,PCM spec's out a pump,has the manufacturer stamp a part number on it and it becomes a preparatory pump available only from them....

Post edit- 4-7-18 Marine Carter pump P4389 Pump #3
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
mtguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2017 at 11:25am
Sorry guys, different time zone...
They both look so similar...Mine just had a little sticker saying "carter" on it...Holy smokes, those are a lot cheaper!! Pump #2 -link looks exactly like it except for the wiring. Pump #1 has the same wiring as my old one did. My pump came with an even different wire connector which I cut and butt spliced connected. It came put together without the bracket.
I'll go down and look for any stamped numbers on the new one. I'll look at the old one as it had some info on it that was covered with their black spray paint..
Gotta get a little work done first, so an hour or two...
'95 SN

'53 Hutchuck

'56 Essaness Craft
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2017 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by mtguy mtguy wrote:

Reporting back to all you great guys who helped with advice... First, my '95 is definitely the non-FCC version. Second, the Low pressure pump was easy to .install...best of all, after skiing a few sets with my wife and a friend this AM it started and ran great. I let her sit with the motor cover down and waited an hour or so after skiing and she still starts...no more vapor locking-like symptoms!
Thanks you guys for all your help!
~Pete

Updated this GT-40 Thread for this solved issue as well.
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=25584&PID=531733򁴕
mtguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2017 at 7:14pm
Gary,
Went to look at both the old and new LP pump...Pic's attached. Black one is the original pump that I replaced, the gold pump is the new one. The new one had the wires coming out of the bottom in the sleeve. The original just had the two posts that wires connected to.
Otherwise, they look the same. Both are Carter products. Sorry, no part numbers on either.
~Pete
'95 SN

'53 Hutchuck

'56 Essaness Craft
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic